Warrants without an in character reason.

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Octavio

Re: Warrants without an in character reason.

Post by Octavio » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:43 am

I just looked at my Seanchan characters and every one of them, including ones that are not in clans, have a Tar Valon warrant. There is one player who has never even attacked anyone, who only participates in smobs, but initially told a few people he was thinking about planning in a Seanchan clan, has a Tar Valon warrant. Every planned Seanchan player also has a thiefbane warrant.These are other reasons why I hate blanket warrants.

Joolis

Post by Joolis » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:11 pm

If I were playing LS and told people I was planning to be a darkfriend, I would expect to get warranted. Why are you so outraged? If you want to smob and be friendly with LS, you should play a LS char. It sounds to me like you don't actually want to play a SS char, or somehow you unreasonably want the best of both worlds.

Rig

Post by Rig » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:29 pm

I warrant Joolis on all of his alts.

Octavio

Post by Octavio » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Joolis wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:11 pm
If I were playing LS and told people I was planning to be a darkfriend, I would expect to get warranted. Why are you so outraged?
Because people on one alt telling their other alt to warrant another player, without having any interaction with that player. Character separation in this game sucks. Again, and I keep repeating this, blanket warrants off of a who list or across characters is complete BS. Warrants need to be done while in the same zone in a perfect world, or at least after having a flag set that shows you had, during the course of your log-in, been in the same zone as the character you are warranting.

Joolis

Post by Joolis » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:11 pm

So you want to:
  • Enforce RP and character separation on a MUD where it's not done
  • Play a SS char with no repercussions
Seems reasonable...

Octavio

Post by Octavio » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:26 pm

Never said anything about playing a SS character without repercussions. Ever.

I said blanket warrants based solely on a who list is something that should go. That's it. Also, this happened to every player in the mud, not just SS players. I just happen to be an SS player.

livendros

Post by livendros » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Joolis wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:11 pm
If I were playing LS and told people I was planning to be a darkfriend, I would expect to get warranted. Why are you so outraged? If you want to smob and be friendly with LS, you should play a LS char. It sounds to me like you don't actually want to play a SS char, or somehow you unreasonably want the best of both worlds.
Agreed. Also some people in the past ruined it all by marauding in cities they didnt have a warrant in and the clan was somewhat inactive. As a new seanchan clanned char you had a little lee time before the warrants caught up and you were able to chase into cities that you hadnt been warranted in. With blanket warrants that clan that only has 1 or 2 active players can at least somewhat protect themselves and the midbies.

Maegon

Post by Maegon » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Bivia wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:23 am
What bothered me was that as a pretty new player I still foolishly thought the three oaths were a part of tower rp. After that I learned that the three oaths had been "relaxed" a bit so tower members didnt have to wait until someone they knew was hostile actually attacked them in order to fight back.

Long story short, blanket warrants are fine and rp doesnt matter anymore.
Game Mechanics. I wouldn't even be able to weave against seanchan 99% of the time if I had to wait until the "the last extreme defense of (my) life". There are also at least a few examples in the books where an aes sedai put herself into direct danger to be able to weave or "broke" an oath because they were convinced they were following the oath.

For the record, I don't actually like blanket warrants either, but as I said previously, it was likely allowed because it was seen as the best option available for immortals. You can always push for your own clan to not blanket warrant people if it's important to you.

Octavio

Post by Octavio » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:19 pm

Maegon wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:10 pm
Bivia wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:23 am
What bothered me was that as a pretty new player I still foolishly thought the three oaths were a part of tower rp. After that I learned that the three oaths had been "relaxed" a bit so tower members didnt have to wait until someone they knew was hostile actually attacked them in order to fight back.

Long story short, blanket warrants are fine and rp doesnt matter anymore.
Game Mechanics. I wouldn't even be able to weave against seanchan 99% of the time if I had to wait until the "the last extreme defense of (my) life". There are also at least a few examples in the books where an aes sedai put herself into direct danger to be able to weave or "broke" an oath because they were convinced they were following the oath.

For the record, I don't actually like blanket warrants either, but as I said previously, it was likely allowed because it was seen as the best option available for immortals. You can always push for your own clan to not blanket warrant people if it's important to you.
Well that was a rare example, not one used every single time a channeler channeled.

I believe that there is no perfect solution, however the malus against playing a Seanchan character is a bit overwhelming when compared to playing a LS player. Think about if your only mainland city was Falme and every other city was owned by Seanchan. Or you wanted to get from the west coast to northern PK but had to travel through every hostile city to get there because you cannot use a coach, or boat. Even DS has zones and zones of lands, multiple cities to travel to, and numerous smobs to play with.

Just looking for some equity here between the sides.

Joolis

Post by Joolis » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Maybe you should play LS or DS since that sounds like the MUD experience that you want.