Language on the forums

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Vampa

Re: Language on the forums

Post by Vampa » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:42 pm

Neveyan wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:02 pm
Mronz wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:00 pm
Well, a good point was raised. In over 20 years of wotmudding, I've never once considered using the report feature... not once...
Same here. Thanks Vampa for your response, now I know. Rig and Co can expect some reporting :D

@Vampa, I just reported Davor's post (wotmod.org/viewtopic.php?p=92348#p92348). Can you please confirm your received it. Then will re-evaluate situation in 6-months or so.
Received it and closed it, thanks.

Torag

Post by Torag » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:39 pm

I wonder if people whining about language on forums are as thin skinned in real life? Must suck to live life being perpetually offended by everything.

That said, keep the racism/discrimination off forums and let the rest be. If you don't like what you are reading close your browser and go outside and enjoy the real world.

Davor

Post by Davor » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:59 pm

I agree we should have a relatively clean environment. However, These players currently complaint play the forums more than the game, contribute nothing themselves other than perpetual bitching and whining and will never be satisfied until the game is just as they want it, damn all else.

I want to know what Neveyan reported me for since my orgy post is still there.

Neveyan

Post by Neveyan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:32 am

I reported for the orgy post.

Your views are noted but I disagree: I've been involved with wotmud for 20 years, and while its true that I don't too play much these last couple of years (family, children, work, etc), its still very much an important part of me and I will always look out for the best interests of the game.

FYI, at some point in the (far) future, I want to be me more active and I have a goal of getting this game back to having 100-200 players online: which I think I can do.

Back to another authors point about being offended, this is irrelevant. This is simply a call about what I think is good for the game long term. I'm more than happy to read uncensored discussions on discord or in the old days, the wotmad forums.

Alayla

Post by Alayla » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:32 am

My car enthusiast forum just got changed and the old language filter is gone. I was surprised at the uproar. They want it back, even though everyone always knew what the intended words were. It was one way it made it a place that everyone felt welcomed in.

If our forums had filters, it isn’t going to make players leave, but -not- doing so could disconnect players from a place where information is critical to their character. In order to participate in clan life, rules, voting, warranting, decisions, a lot of it happens here. If they want to play the game they have to read things here, and there is no warning or age acknowledgement like on Discord.

The issue with content wouldn’t be addressed though. There’s no age requirement to join forums I think. What there is, is an agreement when you join. “You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Wheel of Time MUD” is hosted or International Law.”

Iblis

Post by Iblis » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:33 am

I kind of miss the filter, was always amusing to read posts with the "just like me" pop up and having to go back and reread it. Language filter wouldnt be bad, could be neat if it was wot-themed too, would make the random toxic venting amusing instead of just kind of sad. I remember my alt was "just like mer" and there was a lancer who was "just like mear". Think peoples issues were probably more with the heavy moderation of the previous administration

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:57 pm

A filter that changed expletives to book curses would be ideal. As a public place and officially backed by staff I agree that anything posted here is completely reflective of the entire organization and community. Anyone who argues the free speech angle should make their own forum and post anything that they like there...

The issue isn't who is right or wrong, what is offensive to me, you, or any individual. There is a standard that has been set in place via the houseguest rule and that rule is the guiding principle for actions and attitudes when utilizing WoTMUD resources (game, forums, etc...)

I would like to use Rig as an example here:
Rig wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:37 pm
Pls report me you snowflake
This should be reported because it is a direct attack to a player and not to the idea or content of the post.
This is the very definition of what Vampa describes as a violation and Rig's post should be deleted and given a strike. Perhaps Rig would eventually change his behavior based on the consequences of his actions if he was held to this standard more. And while I agree that this example is a ridiculously G-rated example, it does show the exact trend of chronic behavior that is (as Livendros said) arbitrarily enforced.

Another example:
Torag wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:39 pm
I wonder if people whining about language on forums are as thin skinned in real life? Must suck to live life being perpetually offended by everything.

That said, keep the racism/discrimination off forums and let the rest be. If you don't like what you are reading close your browser and go outside and enjoy the real world.
This should not be reported because it is not an attack on a player, though it is obviously a snarky response and intended to insult in a passive-aggressive way. While this type of post isn't necessarily productive to the community it is not worthy of moderation. Though a moderator could remind Torag that the houseguest rule defines what is acceptable in game spaces and not what any one individual feels is acceptable.
livendros wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:01 pm
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6552

Like everything on this game it is arbitrarily enforced.
I understand where Livendros is coming from here. It does seem that situations do not always get categorically handled the same here at WoTMUD. In this instance I believe it is primarily because the volunteer nature of staff and not having a full time Moderator or a position that oversees the public spaces of WoTMUD like an organization that has paid employees.
Neveyan wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:32 am

FYI, at some point in the (far) future, I want to be me more active and I have a goal of getting this game back to having 100-200 players online: which I think I can do.

I encourage you Neveyan to continue in your diligence and even to try to do more if you can. Branding and public image are important. The public spaces of WoTMUD should be moderated and protected by the rules that govern it. If there is anyway I can help in your goal of increasing the game's population let me know.

"Personal responsibility is the most difficult thing I have encountered as a human being." -Me

Theid

Post by Theid » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:30 pm

I agree with Taziar. For too long a lack of respect for language on the forums has been the norm.

I also think ToL and ToD posts lack Oumph and RP value of late.

#Makeforumscleanagain
#Bringbacktheimmersion

Benito

Post by Benito » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:11 pm

I'd like to provide a TL;DR for Taziar's post.
*Rig* tries to open the greatdoor, but can't.

The corpse of Rig is lying here.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:35 pm

Rig doesn't mind homophobic or sexist language. I wouldn't rage and threaten to quit over a crappy death in pk. (And not just because of gear - most of us expect to die - and have died in crappy ways - if we have a unique/rare).

It's not that "x" group of players are thin skinned or constantly offended. It's that different people get upset about different things, and express that emotion differently.

Instead of knee-jerk reactions of "stop whining" (just as some of you didn't say that to Rig when he was last threatening to quit - and instead were talking about how great he has been for the game :twisted: ), why not try to at least be SILENT :!: :!: :!: :roll: :roll: when you don't understand why someone is upset and keep in mind that we do want them around?

Honestly, for a while my mental picture of Rig was of someone who probably yelled and lashed out at every single small thing. The fact that some of us don't like this culture of verbal aggression doesn't mean that we walk around with STOP signs that bleep whenever someone starts talking :?