attitudes and expectations

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Lord Pe

Re: attitudes and expectations

Post by Lord Pe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:03 pm

ecthus wrote:
Khahliana wrote:Just out of curiosity, does anyone actually play in a style specifically for the enjoyment of the rest of the players rather than themselves?
Tons of people play differently because of how it affects other players ability to enjoy the game. When someone leaves PK because their side is too stacked, or the types of weaves channies use, or (previously) endlessly stacking mobs, and so on and so on.

No comment on the original post, but it's always been a minority of players who intentionally kill the AFK and LD. It's an even smaller minority that will defend it on any sort of grounds. Because it's stupid.

Other problems aside, killing AFK players, especially solo ones, is a classic example of short-sighted thinking in the game. If you kill the AFK guy who's come north/south to look for a fight, they don't get a chance to narrate there's enemies, they don't get a chance to fight or run, which means no one else shows up and PK is over til the next guy comes to look--which could be hours.

This guy gets it.

Jestin

Post by Jestin » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:27 pm

I don't really play much anymore but in the interests of hopefully contributing something:

These two mentalities do not need to be mutually exclusive. You can both be mindful of other people's fun and take it less personally when bad things happen to you. We all should be striving to do both, not just one or the other.

As others mentioned, killing people afk/ld is a great example of not being mindful of other people's fun. Honestly I don't think it's much fun for either side. It really is almost a lose/lose situation. You kill any potential pk, kill any future pk, piss someone off, waste time returning/not returning, waste time on forums arguing about things, etc. Just not a productive or fun use of anyone's time in any way.

At the same time, developing an attitude where you get angry and hurt that you were killed AFK/LD is also not constructive. This is a game you play for escape from the real world for fun and enjoyment, there is no need to let it get to you.

We really should try to do both and stop arguing about which one is better - both are good.

Lord Pe

Post by Lord Pe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:48 pm

Jestin wrote:I don't really play much anymore but in the interests of hopefully contributing something:

These two mentalities do not need to be mutually exclusive. You can both be mindful of other people's fun and take it less personally when bad things happen to you. We all should be striving to do both, not just one or the other.

As others mentioned, killing people afk/ld is a great example of not being mindful of other people's fun. Honestly I don't think it's much fun for either side. It really is almost a lose/lose situation. You kill any potential pk, kill any future pk, piss someone off, waste time returning/not returning, waste time on forums arguing about things, etc. Just not a productive or fun use of anyone's time in any way.

At the same time, developing an attitude where you get angry and hurt that you were killed AFK/LD is also not constructive. This is a game you play for escape from the real world for fun and enjoyment, there is no need to let it get to you.

We really should try to do both and stop arguing about which one is better - both are good.
This guy gets it better.

hasp

Post by hasp » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:43 pm

I never met Jestin but every post he has made that I have seen is very logical and exactly how I think. Plus, my name is Justin so I think he is my spirit animal.

Hanz

Post by Hanz » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:38 pm

Jestin wrote:I don't really play much anymore but in the interests of hopefully contributing something:

Very well put, Jestin.

Naomi

Post by Naomi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:54 pm

Play more. I miss you.

Kerryk

Post by Kerryk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:47 pm

Someone write a script so that if you go AFK and someone attacks you your client sends you a text message to your phone...

That way you can run out of the bathroom with no pants to try and save yourself lol

byrg

Post by byrg » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:52 pm

Kerryk wrote:Someone write a script so that if you go AFK and someone attacks you your client sends you a text message to your phone...

That way you can run out of the bathroom with no pants to try and save yourself lol
There's... actually a thread about sending email/texts in the zugg/cmud forums: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewt ... 4&p=172976

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:04 am

Lykan has my forum password and the passwords of every gaidin. He no votes and yes votes as a block. It is known.

Zarth

Post by Zarth » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:56 pm

Kryyg only gets qps when Jestin plays for him.