Rank 8 Zone Sense

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Fermin

Re: Rank 8 Zone Sense

Post by Fermin » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:29 am

Rig wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:35 am
Anyway, griping aside about how stupid zone sense is in 90% of situations, and how stupid it is that Gate/Zone sense even is used collectively and primarily as a way to avoid cross-race/same-side interaction, it’s still also stupid to take zone sense away from r8’s and give it to a much larger pool of characters.

This conversation gets a lot easier when we just admit we want an idle rpg, because the argument comes down to whether we (me specifically in this situation) want more player interaction. Or whether we (not me in this situation) want to keep increasing the ability to avoid specific avenues of player interaction that equates to high reward low risk environments.
I think the trick is, if you want more people having the kind of interactions you want, then there is significant room to let people do the kind of interactions you don't want because more people playing will help fill all buckets.

An amazing change would be to just display number of online above lvl 30 at the log in screen:
Players Online: DS 5 LS 5

The 15 minute delay means that all the pkers seem to consistent alt together to try to even numbers and I don't think it helps (if anyone is using it)
If it is easy to do, it would be a great 1 month change test.

Sarinda

Post by Sarinda » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:36 am

I don’t think the concerns Rig and others have raised are wrong, but I agree with Fermin that there are so many other ways to address the problem without removing class features.

For example, you could make more smobs yell or narrate when attacked. You could expand the number of rooms around a smob area that are no-Gate and leave tracks. You can add more rats/ravens to smob areas. I can’t remember if this is an option, but I wonder if there’s a way to flag an area as Locateable but not accessible via Gate? Imms could implement the campfire mechanic that was previewed that would speed up healing but alert the zone where they are resting. And so on.

Kitiara

Post by Kitiara » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:38 am

Briannon wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:59 pm
Kitiara wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:22 am
Bookish it should be all channelers who have channeled for a significant amount of time, so rank 5 makes sense. Im always in favor of bookish features.

Also the bonus has made it less desirable for an AS to bond... pretty much bonding sucks for AS unless your warder is on. (i would be curious if this has impacted bonding rates)

But maybe its bad for game balance... /shrug...

EDIT: Could totally see reasoning that only Rank 7+ channelers get zone sense instead of rank 5... but easy for me to say as I only play one character who is already rank 7 :?
If we're talking pure RP reasons, this is correct. All highly ranked channelers would have it, since it's an aspect of working with the one power. Technically this would mean DLs should have it.... :lol:
Well no, those who channel are able to sense the shadow... so I guess DLs could have it... but they would constantly sense the shadow since they are shadowspawn...

Briannon

Post by Briannon » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:06 pm

Kitiara wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:38 am
Briannon wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:59 pm
Kitiara wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:22 am
Bookish it should be all channelers who have channeled for a significant amount of time, so rank 5 makes sense. Im always in favor of bookish features.

Also the bonus has made it less desirable for an AS to bond... pretty much bonding sucks for AS unless your warder is on. (i would be curious if this has impacted bonding rates)

But maybe its bad for game balance... /shrug...

EDIT: Could totally see reasoning that only Rank 7+ channelers get zone sense instead of rank 5... but easy for me to say as I only play one character who is already rank 7 :?
If we're talking pure RP reasons, this is correct. All highly ranked channelers would have it, since it's an aspect of working with the one power. Technically this would mean DLs should have it.... :lol:
Well no, those who channel are able to sense the shadow... so I guess DLs could have it... but they would constantly sense the shadow since they are shadowspawn...

Yes! And it would be hilarious/useless for them! :lol:

I guess this does bring up a thought... DL probably shouldn't show up on zone sense rpishly, given that they aren't technically shadowspawn, they just serve the shadow. Also, related thought, Rand could sense the greyman due to Saidin taint resonance or whatever, while others couldn't.

arston

Post by arston » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:50 pm

On topic:
Arston literally only exists so i could have someone who could get r8 zone sense and smob in peace without having to play a bigoted tower character. I was very upset when it got removed two weeks after "because it was too strong" and then given to the strongest characters in the game instead.

Enough so that I basically shelfed the character and didnt even bother making my r8 rooms.

Off topic but made me laugh:
gating to 10 different smobs and killing them all to get like one sid = high reward low risk (aside from holdays which is gonna be over soon)

taking 5 remorts to hit a group in an smob and taking all their rares and trinkets and scalps = low reward high risk

Fyra

Post by Fyra » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:18 pm

arston wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:50 pm

Off topic but made me laugh:
gating to 10 different smobs and killing them all to get like one sid = high reward low risk (aside from holdays which is gonna be over soon)

taking 5 remorts to hit a group in an smob and taking all their rares and trinkets and scalps = low reward high risk
I was literally thinking this exact same thing. :roll:

Rig

Post by Rig » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:20 pm

I don't know what game you guys are playing, but smob loads getting changed months ago do not = 10 smobs for 1 side. Try more like 1 sid every 2 smobs. lol. Especially for KMG and with the plethora of basics loads being upped + gold combo basics being upped. Trinks galore.

Fyra

Post by Fyra » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:26 pm

Rig wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:20 pm
I don't know what game you guys are playing, but smob loads getting changed months ago do not = 10 smobs for 1 side. Try more like 1 sid every 2 smobs. lol. Especially for KMG and with the plethora of basics loads being upped + gold combo basics being upped. Trinks galore.
If you could let me in on the knowledge you have that lets you get 5 sids from hitting 10 smobs, I'd appreciate it. Maybe send me a list of them or something. I am obviously missing something.

Rig

Post by Rig » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:35 pm

Hit fbl, fdl, Gorthel, pravus,rep maiden,dwc, smitty. Picked some random smobs. High % loads. Then turn all of your basics into stubs. High number of trinks.

Tanak

Post by Tanak » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:41 pm

Rig wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:35 pm
Hit fbl, fdl, Gorthel, pravus,rep maiden,dwc, smitty. Picked some random smobs. High % loads. Then turn all of your basics into stubs. High number of trinks.
Wait, KMG can turn basics into a bunch of stubs, and then buy their own trinks that get produced in the market? In large quantities? You don't actually have a kmg, do you? ;)