Zone update in the works: Gorthel zone.

A place for Immortals of the game to post changes in policy or other relevant announcements for the game.
Elysia

Zone update in the works: Gorthel zone.

Post by Elysia » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:14 pm

This project was approved in the last 3 months of last year, but I have finally learnt the art of procrastination, hence the delay. ;) Also, further delays when players indicated disgruntlement over zone changes. As I said though, this one has been in the works for a while!

There's currently an unused plateau area over Gorthel smob that corresponds with an existing landmark feature on the maps. In Tower of Midnight, Lan approaches this landmark: the Silverwall Keeps:

He stared down the roadway. It twisted around the side of a hill before turning straight toward a distinctive fortres ahead. The border between Kandor and Arafel was marked by the Silverwall Keeps, a large fortification built on two sides of Firchon Pass. It was an extremely impressive fortress -- really two of them, each one bult up the straight wall of the narrow canyonlike pass. Like two sides of an enormous doorway.

As Arafel does not have a presence in the game, why not kill two birds with one stone?

Over the past few months, I've written room descs, mobs and some mobol and I'm ready to start putting it ingame. I will start with the pass itself, which should be quick and easy. The fortress, consisting of 8 rooms, will be closed off for now, pending implementation. There will be mob support there for LS and a smob for DS and that takes a wee bit more work than a plain copy/paste.

Today's order of business:

Scrap the plateau and turn it into the pass, room descs and all.
Remove the rooms that are currently north and south of the plateau and re-use them for the Pass/ Keeps.

I've tried to keep the most intuitive travel lines from the east going west. E.g. whereabouts you're heading west from north of Siffas, you will end up near the pass.

Just so not everyone's caught off guard, there's a snippet of what the pass will look like, relative to Gorthel smob's entrance:

Code: Select all

|
-xx
  |                 | 
-xx-xx    xx       xx-
  |  |     |        |
-xx xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
  |                 |
                  +xx- <--- gorthel ent
                    |
Full implementation of mobs, flavor mobol and such will likely take a few days as I'm resolved to not bend over backwards to cram things in impossibly small time frames anymore. *shock horror*

There will be a grand opening of the Fortress, probably involving some event. But it needs to be finished before I can shed light on that. :idea:

Elysia

Re: Zone update in the works: Gorthel zone.

Post by Elysia » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:38 pm

I've adjusted some room names and their type, so now there's a mostly marked road going from 4 trees east of Legion base towards Firchon Pass and then due east towards the remnants of ancient road that were there. I pulled the road south a bit, so right now it ends just north-east of Siffas, but the goal is to eventually adjust both room names, types and actual descs so it describes a road, but that's a slightly longer term project. Doing that should help people explore a bit too and aid travel for any and all.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:13 am

The road now connects to the ancient roadway near Siffas, which in itself now connects to the well-worn path by Granlin.

Also, room descs east and west of Silverwall Keeps have had their references to paths up to the plateau removed etc.

One task still remains: that void jutting out south between Siffas and dhs is going to start referring to Polov Heights and the Field of Merrilor. Just cosmetic really, but it's roughly the right area, so why not.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:50 am

I've started changing room names and descs around the Field of Merrilor. This is going to be ongoing as I have time to do so, so you may want to hold off re-mapping until I've posted here again. The layout remains unchanged, this is just cosmetic.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:06 pm

I think this is pretty much done, assuming I haven't overlooked something. Essentially what was first a bunch of rooms referring to forest, now refers to plains, and what referred to the canyon is now mentioning Polov Heights.