The Wheel of Time Season 1 Episode 6: The Flame of Tar Valon

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Dinuc

Re: The Wheel of Time Season 1 Episode 6: The Flame of Tar Valon

Post by Dinuc » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:06 pm

asharek wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:19 pm
Did Moraine lie to Egwene when she asked her if Mat and Rand were also in TV?
If we are thinking about the same scene then she said 2 things that were true to mislead her.

1. I have people at the gates watching for them.
2. I know they are alive.

From memory it was something like that.

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:05 pm

Aira wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:07 am
Let's put it this way, those who taut GoT as staying true to the books are off the flaming goatkissing rocker and in there, it's the female characters who pay the price.
WoT S1 is almost a general rewrite of the places and events from EoTW. There are common shades between both versions, but its more like WoT S1 is actually inspired by RJ's EoTW rather than actually being based on it. Consider that after Taren Ferry, almost every location from then on has been contrived in the imaginations of the screenwriters with the only exception being Shadar Logoth. Baerlon, Whitebridge, Four Kings, the entire Caemlyn Road journey, Arthur Hawking's statue, Elyas, Caemlyn....all completely rewritten. That's almost the entire middle 2/3rds of EoTW. And what we have to look forward to is the EoTW being narratively the same place as the Bore. Game of Thrones Season 1's central plot was not nearly rewritten as much as GoT's plot has been.

I'm not defending Benioff and Weiss. GoT definitely goes off the rails after Season 1.

Drybones

Post by Drybones » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:12 pm

isabel wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:43 am
From reddit, I loled

Timpa87
29m
split in 5 so would we be talking about summoning the Dragon like Captain Planet and the 5 planeteers?

u/TheAirsickLowlander avatar
TheAirsickLowlander
24m
Hell, just give them all access to one element of the one power, then it works exactly like you say.

Perrin - "Earth" Rand - "Fire" Egwene - "Air" Nyneave- "Water" Mat - "Spirit"

"By your powers combined, I am Dragon Reborn!"
:lol: thanks for sharing.

I'm still excited to be watching this on screen, although they definitely have a knack for missing the mark on some things. The opening was great, the pompousness of the tower felt like the books to me, and they did a good job playing up the scheming/duplicity of moraine and Suiane. The way gate scene and Perrin are the main things that I found disappointing, but the Perrin part is bookish at least. I always pictured the ways like the escape scene from Pitch Black, but I'm curious to see what they come up with.

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:18 pm

asharek wrote:
The sedai outfits.. are you serious? it looks cheap and lacking in elegance. Isn't this the hall of the sitters and aren't they convening for a formal occasion, so where are the shawls?
OMG, how did I miss that!!? The shawls have been replaced by the stupid stones inside the rings.

On the upside, Liadrin managed to get the mission of the Blue Ajah at least indirectly correct. Any player with an Accepted who has sat through my lecture on the purpose of the Blue Ajah knows what I am talking about.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:29 am

Katherine wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:18 pm
asharek wrote:
The sedai outfits.. are you serious? it looks cheap and lacking in elegance. Isn't this the hall of the sitters and aren't they convening for a formal occasion, so where are the shawls?
OMG, how did I miss that!!? The shawls have been replaced by the stupid stones inside the rings.

On the upside, Liadrin managed to get the mission of the Blue Ajah at least indirectly correct. Any player with an Accepted who has sat through my lecture on the purpose of the Blue Ajah knows what I am talking about.
Haha omg the feels one gets watching this after having actual characters here.

@asharek - agree so much about the set design!! That is really bothering me though I'm trying to ignore it. But I am 100% convinced they stole aladdin sets. Ugh ugh I wish it didn't look so fabricated. I don't remember Lotr sets looking this way. If shienar looks like fake tents or half a bombed out building I will be sad.

I have to say my non-book friends are loving this show so far. Like not thay it's great but it's definitely something to look forward to during the week.

@aira - sorry yes! I really should re-read at some point.

Whoever said that they could take out rand at this point and it wouldn't matter is so spot on. Also that precisely because he's obviously so low key right now it's really pointing at him (is what my friends said).

Dinuc

Post by Dinuc » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:48 am

isabel wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:29 am
@asharek - agree so much about the set design!! That is really bothering me though I'm trying to ignore it. But I am 100% convinced they stole aladdin sets. Ugh ugh I wish it didn't look so fabricated. I don't remember Lotr sets looking this way. If shienar looks like fake tents or half a bombed out building I will be sad.
Yea it looks terrible. The video that Halfhand posted did a good job of explaining some of the problems.

But GoT. Shadow and Bone. The Witcher.

I don't remember any of them looking this bad.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:49 am

Drybones wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:12 pm
I always pictured the ways like the escape scene from Pitch Black, but I'm curious to see what they come up with.
Set your expectations low, and then just in case, lower them a bit more.

From the tiny bit they've shown, it looks..."meh"

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:54 am

isabel wrote:

Everything so far looks cheap, horribly basic and like it was made by people who dabbled into fantasy settings for the first time. Considering this is "an Amazon Original" show, you'd think they'd spend a bit more time and money making sure these things look as close to "flawless" as possible.

Also for people who are riding through woods, mountains and similar rough(-ish) terrain, for days and days....you'd think their clothes might show it, etc.. Instead of having the same issues as old Western movies - protagonist rides into a frontier town, after days riding and camping in the wilderness, shirt ironed, clean shaven, smelling like flower, perfect teeth, no stains anywhere, leather gear nicely maintained....
isabel wrote:

Whoever said that they could take out rand at this point and it wouldn't matter is so spot on. Also that precisely because he's obviously so low key right now it's really pointing at him (is what my friends said).
Which really just emphasizes just how bad their way of telling this story, or what is suppose to be this story, is.

iria

Post by iria » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:14 am

Yeah that's been my main gripe with the show so far as well. I think I read somewhere that the first season of WoT had the same budget as GoT S8, so they obviously had a fair chunk of money for it, so it really is a shame it doesn't feel super polished. I think it is unfair and not realistic to compare it to LoTR, but at least they could've tried to capture the same aesthetic looks as GoT did, that was a large part of why I found GoT so good, the sets looked how I'd imagine they would in real life. I'm still hoping we'll get there with WoT.

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:13 am

This show sucks. Why was the Amytilin crying when she banished her. So idiotic if it’s supposed to be a big secret. We understand she won’t be getting moirainr on her knees for some licky licky but for their great mission she shouldn’t give it away!

dung acting, dung scenery, shitty plot. I don’t understand how non viewers could like it, especially after movie adaptations such as LoTR, GoT and even Harry Potter did a million times better job. Whoever created this needs to stick to the books and not to trying to appease every retype of people, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation. RoJo didn’t write the book for that.