Descent - Complete Story --- &RPaward

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
laci

Descent - Complete Story --- &RPaward

Post by laci » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 am

Ely edit 26 Jul 2021:

1-6 qps, depending on length and quality.

Potential +1 qp: if part of a series: x

Total: 7 qps

Have you ever stood at the edge of something, and as far as the eye could see was stunning beauty? This is my life. I stand at the edge of a lake. The morning is calm and crisp. There is fog still, coming off the water. To my left, a small wood encroaches on the lake, tall trees with brilliantly colored leaves stretching out over the waves. To my right is our dock, with our little boat tied up tightly. Far across the water, the mountains rise in staggered steps towards the sky, nothing more than dark shapes of graduated gray in the morning haze. Behind me sits our cozy home with its small rooms and wide porch. The chickens are making a fuss over breakfast and the cat is laying on the step. He is there too, sitting in his rocking chair drinking his morning tea. He watches me, I know. Warmth fills me and I can’t keep the smile from my lips. This is my life. Beautiful.

~~~

Have you ever stood at the edge of something, and as far as the eye could see was darkness? This is my life. I stand at the edge of an abyss. There’s a chill this morning. She’s down at the lake again. I feel…something…for her, but the love I had once is gone. Everything is gone. As I sip my tea, saidin rages within me. Though my face is calm as I watch her, inside I seethe with fury and pain. I channel a bit, just a breeze to move her hair and watch as she tilts her face into it. She’ll come back up soon, wanting to talk. She is still so young, even after all this time. So beautiful and full of life. I hate her. I’m going to kill her.

~~~

“Lace!”

His yell breaks my reverie. Grinning, I head back to the house. He’ll be wanting breakfast. A twinge in my belly makes me amend my thought. We both will be wanting breakfast. I love these leisurely morning walks down to the lake, but all too soon the reality of the day sets in. After breakfast, there will be work and chores to be done. Some days I go into town, but not today. Today will be just us, working together, side by side. My pace quickens. I’m eager to touch him, to kiss him. Even after all these years, the flame still burns. He is my dream, my life, my husband.

~~~

“Lace!”

She jumps a little at my yell. I’m starving and she’s daydreaming. I feel the rage building within me and quickly release
Saidin. Most things feel distant and empty when I seize the source, but Saidin amplifies my fury until it’s all I feel. As I release, I become aware of my heart racing, pounding heavily against my ribs. My breath comes fast and sharp. With great effort, I force my body to calm. As she climbs the path back up to our house, my heart beat slows and my breathing becomes more even. By the time she reaches the porch and stretches up for a kiss, I even have a small smile on my face for her. She loves me, I know, even after all these years. But she doesn’t know what I am. How could she? I tried to protect her. She was my dream, my life, my wife.
Last edited by laci on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

laci

Re: Descent - Part Two

Post by laci » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:49 am

DESCENT – Part Two

We grew up together, best friends in our small village. We ran wild through the streets, the fields, the woods. We swam, we hunted, we climbed. These memories come flooding back to me as I stand at the cook pot, making his dinner. I knew our lives had been destined by the Pattern, our threads meant to be woven together. Even before I knew what love was, I knew he was for me. That the Creator had evidently not willed it that we have children was of little concern anymore. Once, it had broken my heart, but no longer. He was enough. I taste the stew. It’s spicy, but that’s how he likes it. I can hear him outside, muttering. He does that lately. It must be age starting to creep up on us. I grin, and wonder when I will begin talking to myself aloud.

~~~

They’re coming, hunting. I can smell them. They think I can’t, but I can. I’m a hunter. My sword is in my hands. The stench of cooked flesh fills the air. I’m disgusted, but my belly growls, hunger pangs stabbing at me. There! Was that…no. That bush is just a bush. Behind me! I hear its footsteps. Whirling, I confront the monster. Stepping into my bladeforms, I flow from one to another as easily as a dance, slicing and stabbing at the trolloc. Blood begins to flow, spattering me from head to toe. The trolloc grunts and growls, clumsily reaching for me. I dance quickly out of reach, then bring my sword down in a mighty blow. As it slumps to the ground, I see what comes behind it. A howl of despair escapes my lips, but there is no time for grief. It comes.

~~~

Stabs of hunger pierce my belly. The day had been long and much work accomplished, and now finally, dinner was ready. I ladle out a bowl of stew for him, grab a biscuit and head out onto the porch. I can’t help but laugh. He’s dancing again. He’s begun to do this lately, at the end of the day. He says it relaxes him, lets him release his tension after a long day. Love bubbles up within me. What man would dance so carefree in the twilight? He is amazing. He turns towards me, his feet shuffling and arms flailing. He looks ridiculous, but I’d never tell him. I open my mouth to tell him his dinner is ready.

~~~

It rages within me. An avalanche of filth, roiling and burning me up. Shrieking, I hurl everything I have at the lurk. Flows of air smash it like a hammer. My wife’s head falls from its grasp, flying across the yard. The lurk screams in rage, its eyes wide with terror. I don’t let up. Its eyes? Blow after blow of air. My rage is unceasing. Terror? It killed my wife. My wife? Her head? Laci…

~~~

My body is slammed backwards, breath forced out of my lungs violently. I can’t even see what struck me. The bowl I was carrying is gone, but the biscuit is clenched in my fist. I can finally draw breath and I begin to scream. He’s just standing there, looking at me. I’m being beaten on all sides. By what? What is happening? I shriek for him to help me, but he looks confused. My back, my head, my face. I can feel my grasp on consciousness fading. I can’t even see what is hitting me.

~~~

She is calling me, but she is dead. Is it a trick? I watch as she slumps to the ground. Where did the lurk go? Sneaky bastards. I rush to her. Her face is already beginning to swell. I put my ear to her lips. She’s still breathing. I begin to moan.

“Laci, Laci, what did they do to you?”

I cradle her in my arms, willing her eyes to open. Her body is badly bruised. I barely recognize her.

~~~

My throat hurts. My body hurts. I can hear him crying from far away. I hear him saying my name, over and over. I force my eyes open. I see his face, twisted by rage and grief. I remember him standing there, confused as I was beaten by nothing. I see again his dancing, with new, battered eyes. I hear his mutters with newly opened ears. I understand now. I barely recognize him.

laci

Re: Descent - Part Three

Post by laci » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:03 am

DESCENT - Part Three.

I can hear him. He’s fighting again. I’m sitting on the bed, knees pulled up to my chin and eyes closed. If he hears me, he might come in. Tears stream down my cheeks. I hear glass shatter and he roars in rage. I hug my knees closer to my chest and bury my face in them. He cannot hear me.

~~~
Saidin rages within me like a storm, thunder pounding in my ears. I never want to let it go. I want to live in it, breath it, soak it in with every fiber of my being. Everything outside of Saidin is a dream. I let it fill me until I feel I will explode. It is a battle for survival, one that I eagerly embrace. From a distance, I hear myself yell, hear glass shattering, hear her stifled sobs from the other room. Nothing matters. Only Saidin.

~~~
It's been quiet for a while now. Perhaps he has exhausted himself. Gingerly, ever so gently, I stand up and creep towards the door. My entire body is on edge, my nerves screaming, my heart pounding in terror. My beautiful life is gone and now there is only fear. I open the door a crack and peek through. A crazed eye stares back at me.

~~~
I am the hunter now. She wants to stop me. Her fear is palpable, like a disgusting stink emanating through the house. I cannot be free until she is gone. And so I hunt. I creep to the door. I cannot believe how quiet I am when Saidin boils within me so loudly. A hunter must be patient and so I stand at the door and wait silently. After a time, I hear her get off the bed. I can almost hear her heart pounding against her ribs. Abruptly I realize I am grinning. Her hand on the knob, now the door Is opening. She peeks out, I see her red-rimmed eyes widen, but I give her no chance to react.

~~~
The door explodes inwards, hurling me across the room. I slam into the wooden chest of drawers, back cracking painfully. The chest of drawers he so lovingly crafted as a wedding gift all those years ago. He is standing the doorway looking at me, laughing. There is a feverish gleam in his eyes. He is muttering to himself. I reach behind me, fumbling with the drawers. I know my belt knife is in one of the drawers. What good a knife will do, I have no idea, but the thought of dying unarmed is terrifying.

~~~

The room is dark. I can hear her but I can’t see her. Who? What am I doing? Right, she’s trying to stop me. From what? What am I doing? Saidin ebbs and flows within me. I hesitate in the doorway. Where am I? Was I supposed to go into town today? I begin to laugh. I was supposed to meet Laci today. A thrill of excitement runs through my body. Laci. My love. I’m going to marry her one day. Saidin fades. Where is Laci? What am I doing?

~~~

He’s just standing there, giggling. I found my knife. I clench it tightly in my hand and begin to get to my feet.

~~~

“Lace?”
I see her now. She’s standing by the dresser. She loves that dresser. What is she doing? Why does she have a knife? She looks at me warily, knife held out in front of her. Why is she afraid? Maybe a walk by the lake will calm her. Who? What lake? I reach out for her and gently stroke her cheek.

~~~
A breeze brushes my cheek. I know it’s him. He’s looking at me, smiling. I hesitate, watching him. Maybe it’s over. Maybe he will go back to the man I married, the man I love. Suddenly, pain sears through my body. My skin being torn from my belly. I’m screaming, bleeding. The knife falls from my fingers as I drop to my knees, clutching my stomach.

~~~
My fingertips caress her skin. It is so soft and beautiful. She is beautiful. I press my hand against her belly. She was so sad that we never had children, but it didn’t matter to me. She was all I needed. I can hear her singing, her sweet voice. Her love burns within me, filling my body with its sweetness. I drink it in deeply, pulling as much as I can into me. I can’t get enough of her body, the feel of her skin, the sound of her sweet song. This is life. This is love. I love you, Lace. We are forever one.

~~~
I am screaming, shrieking, bleeding, dying. Through a red haze I see him. His eyes are closed and a smile is on his face. My skin is being torn off all over my body in little strips. I can hear him moaning. I fumble for my knife. I know it is here, I remember dropping it. My body is agony, blood roars in my ears. There. The knife is in my hands. I force myself to stand, to fight the onslaught. He doesn’t see me. His eyes are closed. I stumble towards him.

~~~
Her sweet singing fills me like an overflowing vessel. I’ve never felt such ecstasy, such joy. Does she feel it too? She’s here, coming to me. Opening my arms, I embrace her, pulling her closely to me, pressing her against my chest. She always liked my chest. I stroke her hair and whisper her name.

~~~
He is crushing me. I can hear what he is saying now.
“Lace, Lace, Laci, my wife,” over and over again. Tears stream down my face and screaming sobs rack my body. I cannot get the knife close enough. I cannot maneuver. He is ripping my hair out, his breath is hot on my face. My body is on fire, my blood is draining, I am dying. I stand at the edge of an abyss. Darkness is closing in. Desperately I fight, desperately I grapple with him. One last push and then darkness. We slip over the edge and plummet into the abyss.

laci

Re: Descent - Part Four

Post by laci » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 am

I lay still for a very long time. I can feel blood drying on my skin. My body throbs and my head feels like it will explode. Slowly I push myself up and sit back, pulling myself free of the body. I can’t bring myself to move. I feel lost, alone. The memory of what I’ve done plays itself over and over, the feeling of life leaving the body, the moans, the blood streaming over my hands.

Finally, I stand up and retrieve the knife. I might need this in the days to come. I can’t stay here, that much is certain. The memory of our descent into madness is too much, the sharp pain of loss too cutting. There is nothing left here for me. There is nothing of me left here. Who I was is as dead as our marriage, the life we built together.

I walk through the house, gathering supplies. I take no personal belongings or mementos. I don’t deserve them. I pack food and water and a few changes of clothes. I slip the belt knife into my belt. I stand over the body, considering. I think back to the first day, to when our love was fresh and new. Who could have known we would fall this far? We thought we’d be forever one. We promised each other.

Turning on my heel, I leave my house, my home, my life, my love. Every piece of who I was is dead. The wind blows through my long hair and I unconsciously finger the knife at my belt. Something stirs in my belly. Something small and unfamiliar. As I walk, it begins to grow. It starts to burn. After I while I realize what this unfamiliar feeling is. Rage.

The End.

Brocas

Re: Descent - Complete Story

Post by Brocas » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Engaging read! I liked how you told the story from 2 different points of view. I assume this is Laci's back story? Thanks for sharing!

Not sure if you are clanned or not, but if so, can an Imm give a high QP award to laci for this mutli-part story?

Ashlee

Post by Ashlee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:45 pm

Brocas wrote:Engaging read! I liked how you told the story from 2 different points of view. I assume this is Laci's back story? Thanks for sharing!

Not sure if you are clanned or not, but if so, can an Imm give a high QP award to laci for this mutli-part story?
Brocas beat me to it! Great story!!! Fun read!

Bragar

Post by Bragar » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Hopefully she got the qp reward she deserved. Good read.