A Meeting with Dobraine. ----&rpaward

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Aira

A Meeting with Dobraine. ----&rpaward

Post by Aira » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:35 pm

Korsik edit Feb 21 2024:

1-8 qps, depending on length and quality.

Rplizer +1 qps : o
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : o
Length bonus +1-2 qps : o
Part of a series +1 qps: o
Summary: +1 qps : o

Total: 2 qps
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aira sat on a plush blue chair in Lord Dobraine's quarters and held out her cup out to Larry in order to get it refilled with a crisp white Cairhienin wine. She nodded at Larry, then resumed her conversation with Dobraine.

'We have tried before with the Dragonsworn, but they are unreliable at best, and dangerous at worst. Who was it again that offered a way for us to get rid of the group on the road to Maerone in order to have further negotiations?' Aira half-turned towards Larry, frowning as she tried to remember.

'Talem, my lady,' Larry answered.

'Ah, yes, Talem. He mentioned the Dragonsworn by Maerone are a separate faction that do not represent the ones following that prophet in Ghealdan.'

Dobraine nodded. Aira knew Dobraine had known this all along. Dobraine was well-informed, as was any Cairhienin noble. However, House Taborwin with its martial tradition that almost matched the Shienarans', took a special interest in any potential threats, whether they came from the north, the east, or elsewhere. Given Aira's own experience fighting the Seanchan and the Shadow, it created a bond between the High Seat and herself. And while nothing was sacred in Cairhien, this was a strategic meeting, not the usual maneouvering between nobles and Houses.

As Aira sipped her wine, Dobraine asked 'You were also approached about Cairhien potentially swearing fealty to the Dragon?'

Aira swallowed her sip and nodded. 'Enoch. I responded that we would likely be amenable to swearing fealty to the Dragon Reborn on the condition that all nobles would retain their titles and holdings, and that the Dragon Reborn proved himself by drawing Callandor from the Stone of Tear.'

'I suspect that if the Dragon were to be proven, it would be a matter of kneeling or be knelt. Not necessarily by the man himself, but by the Pattern, if it came to that. Your counter offer would certainly be the most favorable option.' A smile appeared in Dobraine's square face. Aira took it as a compliment.

He resumed 'And you never heard from them again. Suggesting they were after fealty to themselves, not any Dragon Reborn.'

It was a statement, not a question. Aira gestured with the hand that held the cup of wine and answered, truthfully, 'As I said, unrealiable at best.'

'Cairhien would be best served if we could rid ourselves of those Dragonsworn by Maerone, but given the rumors of male channelers attacking the White Tower, we had best steer clear even if the offer would be renewed,' Dobraine said plainly. 'Unless you wish to play these Dragonsworn against the Tower...'

Aira tried to look unfazed at the suggestion, but in reality she felt that if she were to try that, she would bite off more than she could chew. She brushed some curls back that weren't in her face and replied, thoughtfully 'I have fought damane and dreadlords, I am not keen on inserting myself in a conflict involving male channelers. Perhaps it would be best to let sleeping dogs lie, for now. We do not know how things will develop. Should Tar Valon march towards Ghealdan, there may be opportunities there,' she said, as she gestured towards Dobraine, who had to know this like no other.