A Meeting with a "Madman" --&rpaward

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Ismael

A Meeting with a "Madman" --&rpaward

Post by Ismael » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:04 pm

Korsik edit Feb 21 2024:

1-8 qps, depending on length and quality.

Rplizer +1 qps : x
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : o
Length bonus +1-2 qps : o
Part of a series +1 qps: o

Summary: +1 qps : x

Total: 3 qps. Awarded Lort 1qp.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Participants: Ismael and Lort
POV: Ismael

Scenario: Ismael stumbles across the letter Lort sent to the Dragonsworn, an over the top absurdity.

Ismael enters the dimly lit chamber, where Lort sits with a troubled countenance.

Ismael says 'Initiate Lort, I had the chance to read your letter. And I am concerned."

Lort looks up, his eyes clouded with the weight of unseen burdens.

Lort says 'It's as if a thousand whispers echo in my mind, tearing at my thoughts. I cannot find solace.'

Ismael stares at the sky.

Ismael says 'This is what I mean, Lort. Snap out of it.'

Ismael examines Lort closely.

Ismael says 'No signs of wasting. No signs of being pale. You do not look hollowed out.'

Ismael thinks hard.

Ismael says 'Lort, how long have you been using your gifts?'

Lort says 'A long time! I am an expert at it at this point!'

Ismael arches an eyebrow.

Ismael says 'Really, is that so?'

Lort nods in agreement.

Lort says 'Yes, all the time, I do it so often, you best just stay away from me, I am very dangerous.'

Ismael nods indulgently.

Ismael says 'Very good.'

Lort nods vigorously.

Lort says 'I am mad! Unfit! I cannot be loved, I cannot have friends, only the Dragon's Prophecies matter to me.'

Ismael nods again, sensing something.

Ismael says 'Lort, I want you to carefully recall -- when did you first hear that your gift would drive you mad?'

Lort looks confused.

Lort says 'What do you mean, Ismael? Everyone knows that! It's just the way of things.'

Ismael smiles gently.

Ismael says 'Sure. Perhaps there is even some truth to it -- and it's a big perhaps, but we must be wary of allowing the words of others become our reality.

Ismael pauses, looking for the words.

Ismael says 'Everybody has an agenda and there are those who justify their existence by presupposing things about others. You do not need to conform if your reality does not match others' prophecies. For there is only one true prophecy and that is the Prophecy of the Lord Dragon.'

Ismael says 'Do your own research.'

Ismael looks at Lort, pitying the poor soul felt driven to this defense mechanism.

Ismael says 'Fear not, for what afflicts you is not corporeal. If it happens, it takes a long time and lots of use, and by the time it matters, the Lord Dragon will have been reborn and saved us all."

Lort, puzzled, looks at Ismael.

Lort says 'What do you mean, Ismael?'

Ismael, with eyes gleaming mysteriously, steps forward.

Ismael says 'Your affliction is like a specter, an ethereal presence. It haunts the depths of your mind, but it is not grounded in the physical world. You have chosen this over-the-top whimsy to protect yourself, but I want you to know you are among friends, strengthened by our mutual belief in the Prophet and the Prophecy. It is no longer necessary. You are safe.'

Lort says 'The clouds in my mind grow darker, Ismael. I cannot escape their haunting whispers.'

Ismael looks at Lort pityingly.

Ismael says 'I understand, Lort. The mind can be a labyrinth and a powerful thing, not to be underestimated in what realities it can create from nothing.'

Ismael gestures around.

Ismael says 'But look around you - there are men with the gift that have spent an interminable time in the Dragonsworn and they are no worse for it. They have even openly used their powers to war with other nations in the past. Unless they are protected by something I do not know of, it says there is a way.'

Ismael says 'And indeed, If there is no way to avoid the inevitable, well, it makes our work in preparing this world for the Dragon all the more important, no?'

Lort's brows furrow, expressing doubt.

Lort says 'But how can mere whispers create such turmoil? Are you certain it's not something more tangible?'

Ismael continues to weave the tale of the ethereal landscape of the mind, explaining the intricacies of psychosomatic afflictions.

Lort listens and his doubt begin to dissipate.

Ismael says 'We can and must be zealous in our preaching of the Prophecy for it is the only path forward. We do it not for ourselves, but the future of the world itself. Let them call our zeal for the Lord Dragon's prophecy madness -- rest assured the doubters will -- but you do not need to protect yourself by playing up what the world expects of you any longer.'

Ismael nods towards Lort.

Lort looks ashamed.

Lort says 'I suppose this has been a childish selfish indulgence on my part, no? Perhaps it's the flair for drama I picked up in my youth visiting the playhouses in Cairhien...but I had never considered the wider impact of my words and actions.'

Ismael smiles happily.

Ismael says 'The first step is acknowledgement. Save your fervor for what truly matters -- spreading the Prophecy and not contriving drama to protect yourself. Again, you are safe to focus on what truly matters now.'

Ismael smiles impishly.

Ismael says 'Besides, only an idiot would read what you wrote and not suspect the same as I suspected. I suppose it is why Lord Rylen saw through it and inducted you.'

Ismael winks suggestively.

Ismael claps Lort on the back and exits the chamber.