Thiefbane Annals: Thiefbane Tactic 142 - Verbal Disarmament --- && RP Award

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Roberto

Thiefbane Annals: Thiefbane Tactic 142 - Verbal Disarmament --- && RP Award

Post by Roberto » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:47 pm

Fen Edit 1-20-24

Rplizer +1 qps : x
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps :1
Length bonus +1-2 qps : 1
Part of a series +1 qps: o

Summary: +1 qps : x

The sun was setting in Andor as Roberto began opening the doors that led to the balcony from the second floor of the organization’s training facility. From the balcony, the main street leading up to the Governor’s mansion was clearly visible and the city was still bustling with energy. The calls of street vendors hawking wares rang out over the general buzz the mass of people going about their day. It was a sound he knew well, though it felt like it may have been a lifetime ago since he had walked these halls, much less made any impact on the Thiefbane.
Behind him a gentle thud sounded as a staff was placed against the wall and two sets of footsteps walked in, two gaits he knew well. He continued looking over the balcony as he greeted the newcomers.

“Good evening to you Juilin, and you as well Carllyna. I’m not sure this room has been aired out since I left. I guess that is why the halls have been so quiet since I got back. Not much new blood has entered our ranks lately.”

Juilin walked up to him, ignoring what Roberto had said. As they stood side by side, they could not be more different. Roberto was a tall broad-shouldered man. With his hood down, the thin braided leather of Roberto’s hadori was visible as it contrasted against his graying temple. The black duster fit him well, likely helping hide the fact that he was not quite as athletic or thin as he once was. Juilin on the other hand looked as the day they had met, lithe, his hair still black as midnight, and looking as if he was carved from aged wood. The next moment stretched on as they both looked over the street. Finally, it was Juilin who spoke.

“It never does get old does it? The city, the job, you really were…” He was not able to finish as the woman next to him interrupted him with rapid-fire statements. “Stop the posturing you two. You’ve been doing this every day the last two weeks. Juilin you complain we aren’t in Tear daily and I don’t want to smell like fish. We have work to do, I have new warrants coming in because people are going after butchers again, and unlike you, I don’t want to be here every day past midnight.” While Juilin was the head of the organization, it was Carllyna Maeve who was its hearts and brains. It was her ledger that kept track of every bounty since the separate theif-catcher guilds had combined with the Thiefbane, and her stare that could keep him in check.

Juilin’s eyes quickly moved to gauge her mood and he immediately relented. His grin flashed as he finally responded to Roberto’s first statement. “You are not completely correct, and while there haven’t been many there is certainly an argument for quality over quantity. That being the case, we will be seeking new talent soon, new targets.” Hearing about upcoming targets brought out Roberto’s smirk, and while it didn’t quite reach his eyes, his excitement was palpable. Most surprising was that Carllyna was grinning right along with them as she said, “Let’s get to work.”

The clan head walked back into the room for a moment before coming out with a book so large it could only be called a compendium. He put it down on one of the tables outside with a thud and called Roberto over. The book’s cover was wood so black it looked like metal but somehow felt nigh unbreakable. The book was outlined in a silver trimming that led to two complex locks. He took a key out from his pocket and made space as Carllyna took her key, both turning at the same time while deactivating the trap mechanism that was cleverly hidden.

The book had no name. Applicants had begun to lovingly refer to it as “The Annals” years earlier, and it had stuck, at least when not in Juilin’s presence as for to him it was simply “it.” The book carried with it the history of the clan. Its pages contained the original copies of treaties, information on alliances, undercover informants of retired Thiefbane, and most importantly the tips, tools, and tricks of the trade. Each of the latter contained a detailed explanation of why it was in the book with at least one example pulled from a real time situation from a prior or current Thiefbane.

Juilin did not seem to want to continue, so once again Carllyna stepped in. “Roberto, it is time we updated the examples of what works with newer and more currently relevant examples.” Roberto immediately interjected, “Some of these stories are from our founding members, members whose names are still whispered with fear by bandits in dark caverns or treetop hideouts.” She put her hand up to stop him. “I am not saying you need to replace every example with a new one, but the environment has changed, and what we do must change with it. There are entire swaths of it that are either useless or redundant. The master’s section is almost entirely about hounds, and we retired their bloodline years ago.”

Comprehension soon came to Roberto’s face, not only was her argument sound due to current political climates, but he had retired his hound Aran years ago who was living a fat and happy life on a farmhouse near Caemlyn. The new bloodline was considered so weak they weren’t allowed to leave home base. They were cute though, so what had been a kennel for bloodhounds had become a glorified petting zoo. He shook his head in understanding, suddenly overwhelmed and wondering where to even start. Williard was going to have to stop taking extended missions, he was going to need help on this.

Julian’s smile was back, gleaming white teeth flashing, purposefully oblivious to the monumental task ahead. “It’s ok, I knew you’d feel overwhelmed at the start, so I already updated the first one for you. A new take on one of Rico’s favorite old tactics. I look forward to seeing both the new takes on old tricks and whatever new things you think we should teach the future.” Juilin opened to a page he had marked and said, “Let us start right here.”

Thiefbane Tactic 142 - Verbal Disarmament

Violence is inherent and unavoidable in our system, and as such we must always ensure to keep our skills and weapons sharp. The only thing sharper should be your tongue. Many opponents are capable of being disarmed with words or charm. There are many times when this tactic will not only alleviate any risk of physical injury to oneself, but more importantly, completely nullify opportunities for collateral damage.

As a secondary benefit, this skill is often advantageous for advancing your social status. Use of this skill has been proven to link directly to an increased number of free drinks or covered bar tabs. As this is often the costliest expense written off for every mission, increased capability at Verbal Disarmament is seen to be inversely proportional to operating costs, thus more easily staying within the client’s expected budget.

Operational Report
Attempting infiltration into society by Foreign Invader
Local Authority-
Emergency Dispatch Request - Thiefbane Status - Accepted
Dispatched Agent: Roberto al’Farath
Written transcript of verbal conversation provided by: [Redacted]

Start of transcript.

Kaizunshi narrates 'Its so quiet!'
Kaizunshi narrates 'And nobody will swear the oaths!'
Roberto narrates 'do you even know the oaths.'
Roberto narrates 'no looking at your placard this time.'
Kaizunshi narrates 'To obey, await and serve,'
Kaizunshi narrates 'Foolish Oathbreaker'
Roberto narrates “What though?'
Roberto narrates 'Sounds like what they do at the Domani Wench to me.'
Roberto narrates 'Your princess works at the Domani Wench too?'
Trynhvar narrates 'No, she's in another castle.'
Roberto narrates ‘Come on merchant, keep up.'
Roberto narrates ‘Either the Sushi is looking up what the Domani Wench is or I just converted him to our side.'
Roberto narrates 'Imagine basing your entire life around something considered sacred and realizing they do it for 100 gold a night in Bendar Eban.'
Kaizunshi narrates 'When Bandar Eban also falls to the Ever Victorious Army, I will personally burn that place down.'
Roberto narrates 'That was an utterly unwitty and disappointing retort, instantly resorting to violence instead of using our words. '
Someone narrates 'Funny Sushi, asking to swear the Oaths, can’t even flip CTFs on nearby lands. Lazy.”
Kaizunshi narrates 'The Ever Victorious Army has no interest in negotiation. You will swear the oaths or die.'
Roberto narrates 'Plus, don't you literally have women and men in see through shear clothes who bow on their hands and knees to serve your nobility?'
Roberto narrates 'The Domani Wench would likely be exalted by your leaders; they are already trained and from my experience better at it than any woman from Seandar. '
Kaizunshi narrates 'I was busy clearing darkfriend ctfs in Andor and Emonds Field, but thanks!'
Roberto narrates ‘Talk about not using your resources properly. '
Trynhvar narrates 'My bigger issue is how shortsighted that plan is. Maybe you can take our lands, our freedom, but take our whorehouses and there will be a revolution.'
Roberto narrates 'You are the one that said it was too quiet, don’t pretend to be busy now! '
Kaizunshi narrates 'Ahh merchant you failed to swear the oaths and now you will be hunted by the Seanchan Empire.'
Trynhvar narrates 'But I have wares.'
Kaizunshi narrates 'We do not trade with merchants who do not swear the oaths.'
Roberto narrates 'Isn’t that directly against General Furak's policy regarding merchants?'
Trynhvar narrates 'But...wares...'
Trynhvar narrates 'Why you no want wares?!'

End of Transcript.- No further contact From Foreign Invader