Jeb Jenkins ---&RPaward

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
jeb

Jeb Jenkins ---&RPaward

Post by jeb » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:50 am

Ely edit 27 Nov 2023:

1-6 qps, depending on length and quality.

Potential +1 qp: if part of a series: x (for part 3)

Total: 2 qps for part 1, 2 qps for part 2

The story of the Veteran Gaidin Jeb Jenkins picks up with pieces of the beginning thrown in and a formal act to press for an Aes Sedai who is invested in the things that drive Jeb to the successes he has experienced. He holds tight to his identity as a lumberjack, but here the narrative can progress to the story as he spins his yarn.

Tacked onto a thank-you note addressed to Draz Gaidin for a claymore is a longer letter titled Why I Will Be a Gaidin

Without going into my childhood other than to say I had one, it wasn't great, but also not terrible, and it took place in Shienar. So I will begin with my work as a lumberjack.

I traveled most of the world. I felled trees from Arad Doman to Stedding Yandar, from Amador to both sides of the Misty Mountains. I rarely worked in the Great Forest, but once was stationed outside of Glancor felling trees when an individual named Lexiane confronted me with a series of questions that were quite logical.

She asked these questions as we traveled together and assisted in my work outside Glancor. As we traveled, she suggested that I find martial work in Tar Valon under the Gaidin. So, when I finished as a lumberjack, having achieved all that I could show for that career, I traveled to Tar Valon to learn what I could about the Gaidin and to look for work as one.

As I have inquired and traveled with members of the White Tower, it has occurred more than once that wanting it will not be enough; I will need your help.

I learned a lot about myself and about what work is through lumberjacking. I cannot brute force through everything. Sometimes I must rest before I can tackle the next tree. I cannot expect trees to find me. I must find trees. The more effective the leader is, the more trees can be felled. If your team is uncoordinated, the tree may fall much slower than if you worked together. It does not matter how bad the tree is; if you are critical, you can die. I believe this is true of allies, generally speaking. Four trees are always stronger than one tree.

I have also learned other lessons: some about foliage, others about snow, and the majority about efficiency. These lessons set me up to be an ideal Gaidin in the future.

To become a Gaidin, I must have a mentor. I would be a good candidate to mentor because I will not embarrass you. I will work hard and finish my requirements as soon as possible. I am also active and engaged; when I do not lead, it is by choice to gauge the effectiveness of those I follow. Over the course of my mentorship, I would aim to show that being a good follower with agency is as important as being a good leader. To kill trees effectively in a group, you need the leader and the team working together.

I led a Saldaean Cavalryman into Ilsae while Kendall Gaidin came from the north. Because we were working together, I could use the doors above Ilsae to trap Axxye, and when my group was contagioned, Kendall engaged and landed the killing bash.

I look forward to learning and demonstrating the skills I have learned in my career as a lumberjack. I also think trollocs look like trees, generally speaking. The ones with especially thick legs seem to lumber about haphazardly. From there, the various races branch away from the similarities. I think they look similar in how a dog looks like a cat.

Jeb Jenkins, retired lumberjack
Last edited by jeb on Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeb

Jeb Jenkins Meets His Mentor

Post by jeb » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:50 am

Ely edit Nov 27 2023:

1-8 qps, depending on length and quality.

Rplizer +1 qps : x
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : o
Length bonus +1-2 qps : o
Part of a series +1 qps: x

Summary: +1 qps : o

Total: 3 qps, Reil also awarded

Jeb has arrived from the east.

Jeb sprints into the room, sweating a lot

Jeb says 'I ran here from Fal Dara.'

Reil says 'Good work, you could have ridden a horse though.'

Jeb frowns.

Jeb says 'I should have.'

Reil says 'If you are going to be my apprentice, I think you need to learn to work smarter rather than work harder.'

Jeb kneels solemnly.

In preparation for battle, Jeb does some deep knee bends.

Reil says 'It seems you have been fighting around the northlands and attempting to lead battles.'

Jeb nods in agreement.

The sun casts a golden glow over the city.

Jeb says 'Attempting is the word.'

Jeb nods in agreement.

Reil nods in agreement.

Jeb says 'Yes.'

Reil says 'It's the critical word. Some often attempt nothing and are out of ideas. '

Jeb says 'I have committed to being present in order to find martial work in Tar Valon'

Jeb says 'in the hopes of becoming a Gaidin.'

Reil nods in agreement.

Reil says 'There is more to being a Gaidin than battle however. '

Jeb wipes some of the grime off his armor, that is otherwise clean.

The gleeman leaves south.

Jeb says 'I keep myself in order in most ways.'

The day has begun.

Jeb says 'And if the Gaidin need firewood I am well versed in the work of lumberjacks.'

Reil says 'You must be willing to lay your life on the line for your allies and especially the members of the Tower. That will be your charge. '

The gleeman has arrived from the south.

Reil nods in agreement.

Jeb stretches a scar covered arm out and itches his neck.

Reil says 'There are always blighted trees to chop down. We do spend a fair amount of our time on envoy missions to Fal Dara to push back the Blight.'

Reil says 'The best defense is a good offense and all that.'

Jeb says 'I am willing to lay my life down for allies and those of the White Tower who put their lives in my charge. I can prove this.'

Reil nods in agreement.

Reil says 'And prove it you must.'

Reil says 'Here is what you are going to do to prove your worth.'

Reil says 'I want 10 heads of lurks, trollocs that are masters in their clans, or dreadlords. This has to come with accounts of the action that led to severing of said heads.'

Jeb says 'Yes.'

Jeb says 'Do I need to be a part of it?'

Reil says 'You can get these in single combat, but if there are other members of the Light in the fight, I prefer accounts where you are leading them.'

The snow lightens up a bit. You are fully immersed.

Jeb considers this.

Jeb says 'Yes, I can do that.'

Reil tells Jeb 'one second looking for the other reqs'

Jeb starts looking through and reoragnizing his backpack.

Reil says 'I expect there will be lots of interaction with ladies of the Tower or other Gaidin. I would like one instance of your interaction with an Aes Sedai, an Accepted, a Novice, and a current Gaidin Warder.'

The River Lady has arrived at the docks.

The gleeman leaves east.

Reil says 'In your case, I think I will say you must pick a Warder you are likely to see around. That will be your final report. (4 RP logs, one with each of the ones I named.)'

Jeb says 'I will do this.'

Reil says 'I need at least one log of you leading a Gaidin to battle. One of your 10 heads accounts can serve as this. '

Jeb says 'I will see what he knows.'

Reil says 'I also need two accounts of you leading AS/Accepted into combat. Your 10 head accounts can serve as this.'

The gleeman has arrived from the east.

Jeb nods in agreement.

Jeb says 'I haven't seen many Accepteds up north lately, but I have seen some Aes Sedai.'

Jeb says 'I will ask more if I see them so that I have more opportunities. '

The loud peals of a handbell echo through the streets.

Reil says 'To summarize -- 10 master/remort scalps, no repeats, can only be acquired from solo battles with accounts or group battles you lead in, also with accoounts. No repeats. One account has to be leading a current Gaidin, two accounts have to be leading AS/Accepted. If you are leading all three in one session, that counts as one log for each category.'

Jeb cups a handful of water from the fountain and drinks.

Reil nods in agreement.

Jeb says 'I don't have any additional questions'

Jeb says 'if I do I will let you know if I do.'

Reil nods in agreement.

Jeb says 'I will let you know.'

Jeb looks at his feet.

Jeb nods in agreement.

Reil says 'Change your title to indicate that you are my apprentice.'

Reil nods at him.

Jeb says 'thank you for the opportunity to work toward a gaidin job reil gaidin'

Reil says 'It is not simply a job, it is a calling, you would do well to remember that, apprentice. I have high hopes for you.'

jeb

Jeb Jenkins Posts a List of Requirements for an Aes Sedai

Post by jeb » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:55 am

Posted somewhere on a column outside of the Gaidin quarters is a sheet of paper.

Jeb's Formal List of Requirements for an Aes Sedai, should she be interested in bonding him.

1. Growth

As a lumberjack I learned that trees never stop growing. Once you chop them down they might respawn, but they are removed in that iteration. As long as we are here, we must do the best we can, no exceptions.

2. Emotional Intelligence

It is important when you are lumberjacking that you don't get triggered by a situation that isn't going your way and brute force your way into a problem. Emotional intelligence is the cornerstone of lumberjacking and is something I look for in a partner.

3. Empathy

Life is hard. Weaker lumberjacks often earn less than a lumberjack as efficient as myself, yet they are trying harder. Or are we trying the same? I put myself in the shoes of others and appreciate their effort. I expect this of a partner.

4. Consistency

A tree is a tree is a tree. You do not get better at felling a tree by trying new forms of tree felling. You get better by mastering the one you know. Somewhere between instinct and growth is consistency and it is a key characteristic that I value.

5. Generosity

I do not need four axes to fell a tree, I need one that works well. Perhaps a back-up axe, but no more. I do not need a partner who is thirsty for all things. Like trees, we need the sun, and food. Unlike trees, though, we also need different things, but greed is unattractive.

6. Communication Skills

Just as important, and a subcomponent of emotional intelligence, is the ability to communicate clearly and articulate ideas and clearly express themselves and engaging effectively with others. I am an other. While I expect some intuition to come from the bond, I value clear expression.

7. Self Regard

A tree is a tree and has high self-regard in its treeness. I am a lumberjack and have high self-regard in my lumberjackness. I expect a partner to have high self-regard in their theirness.