An RP question brought on by recent ToL post

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
arston

Re: An RP question brought on by recent ToL post

Post by arston » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:54 pm

Since I have started playing I have never seen a period of time when people DIDN'T flock to one clan or another. Part of this game is that lots of people get on the bandwagon and goes with what is active, whether thats DOTS, Queen's Guard, Forresters, Tower, etc. Then it fizzles out and you dont see anyone from that clan for a while. When I started playing Defenders were by far the most represented clan, and I never met my forrester for over a year irl, now its the other way around.

What im saying is that time advanced and Black Tower existed, yeah it would be MC mud for a little while, and then it would die down like everything else does. People would start to get sick of every single clan having an RP reason and character progression for hunting them, one or two key players would end up having real life stuff going on and then the rest would feel like its just them against the world and it would die out for a while just like everything else does. Its not like an MC is actually stronger than any clanned channeler, so theres really no reason for anyone to flock to it other than having fun playing it.

As far as there is being too many channelers in pk, that is already self-regulated. Its not like there is a single long-term player that wants to play one but does not have a bonused clanned channeler. When too many channelers are playing then some of them leave pk or alt to another class or side. Putting giant roadblocks into making it hard to clan a channeler doesnt slow down the % of people that have one (everyone that is not a new player and that actually wants one), it just makes things less fun at first which keeps the mud from growing.

Chloro

Re: An RP question brought on by recent ToL post

Post by Chloro » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:17 pm

Elysia wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:24 pm
There are no plans to move the timeline forward, to be honest. It would make the Defenders the hottest new commodity in town and then we'd have people clamoring for the Black Tower, which would be a balance nightmare. There's tons of people who have superstatted mcs waiting, just in case and I think allowing DS vs LS pk to exist as is will benefit the game more in the long run than making it mc-mud.
I see points on both a reason why to hold the mud as is and to move it forward. I can say if a move forward was allowed, then having a Black Tower that has the same restrictions as the White Tower (minus the oaths or maybe different oaths) would allow people to have a different option but still the same amount of work. The White Tower would by far be the clan most uniquely and broadly hit if the Black Tower was implemented. Before people jump on the Black Tower band wagon, having gone through the White Tower process both in 2004/5 and now in 2021-current, it is by far no cake walk. Guarantied it has greatly improved over the years, but once people realize the amount of work they have to put into a character not just skill/pk wise but the amount of time it takes dealing with the rp, master editing logs, then the admin they would need to take on for those coming after them..... There is no slight wonder why many reach rank 5 in the White Tower then take a month off.

I myself would be open to a jump forward, rping out the breaking of the White Tower would be epic. However I don't think many realize the amount of work you as a player are going to have to put in for the changes. I mean, this current global event (my master quest) I have clocked a good 40 hours in rp, log editing, planning, and dealing with the admin stuff that naturally happens with the White Tower. I would say be careful what you wish for, the Black Tower would be a heavy rp clan with growing pains as anything new usually is. Same with Aiel if they were ever implemented. I can safely say the White Tower back in 2004 had its great players, but also high school clicks which made the journey so hellish it actually made people loose their will to play the mud.