An RP question brought on by recent ToL post

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Nevirha

An RP question brought on by recent ToL post

Post by Nevirha » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:22 pm

Reading yesterday's TOL post from Basel Gill, the Third Succession was 28 years ago. Nevirha's backstory is such that she was a child of 9 or 10 when the war of succession happened in Andor. This event was very instrumental in forming her worldview and leading her to the Gray Ajah because before coming to the White Tower, she was primed to become the High Seat of House Biandhn, a noble house of middling power who supported Morgase in the Third Succession. She was involved in machinations of the war much more intimately than a normal child of her age (or even a non-noble adult) would have been, which led her to the conclusion that the world needs more consensus-building and unity.

Now to the question - putting the Third Succession 28 years ago throws a bit of a wrench into Nev's backstory. If she was 9/10 when the war was happening, that puts her at 38 now, which is still young for an Aes Sedai. But Nev isn't young for an Aes Sedai. She shawled 5 RL years ago, making her not only one of the oldest Grays (not saying much, I know) but also one of the oldest still active Aes Sedai in the Tower. She is also a Sitter for the Gray, and her RP is that she has worn the shawl for more than the 20 or so (character) years that this timeline would indicate. So I guess the question is how do people rectify the timeline from the books, which happened over the course of only two years, with a mud timeline where characters both never age and age tremendously? I might be taking this a bit too seriously, all things considered, especially since I now recall that in the 20 years since Moiraine's shawling, she turned into quite a well-respected Aes Sedai in the Blue, even if she had a reputation for malfeasance among the Red. I guess I just always pictured Nev as quite a bit older than 38, which brought me to this post. Curious to hear others' thoughts.

Elysia

Re: An RP question brought on by recent ToL post

Post by Elysia » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:51 pm

We're holding to the game's timeline being at early book 3, pre-taking of the Stone, so that puts us before May 19th 999:

https://www.wheeloftimelines.com/timeline

Nevirha

Post by Nevirha » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:13 pm

Elysia wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:51 pm
We're holding to the game's timeline being at early book 3, pre-taking of the Stone, so that puts us before May 19th 999:

https://www.wheeloftimelines.com/timeline
This is a really cool website! Thanks for sharing!

Nevirha

Post by Nevirha » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:03 pm

Also, I guess I want to clarify that my question was less about the timeline and more theoretical in nature. How do we rectify having characters who age in a world that doesn't? Because the MUD timeline doesn't really change, everything that has happened to Nev in the game has taken time, but there is no real time in the MUD. We're in kind of a groundhog situation where time passes on the MUD but it just keeps resetting. Ultimately, it's not that important. The ToL post brought it to the front of my mind because of how the Third Succession intersects with Nev's story, but essentially, it's kind of something we have to ignore for the sake of playing a game that occurs within a book timeline.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:11 pm

Yeah, it's not perfect. RPishly we're in 999, but the ingame clock has us quite a bit further down the line.

It's just one of those thing where the game has more longevity than it was planned for and it brings conflict with it. I just do whatever on my characters. Some age, some don't.

Asandra

Post by Asandra » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:06 pm

If the series don't get cancelled we can follow their timeline after season 3? Would be interesting.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:24 pm

There are no plans to move the timeline forward, to be honest. It would make the Defenders the hottest new commodity in town and then we'd have people clamoring for the Black Tower, which would be a balance nightmare. There's tons of people who have superstatted mcs waiting, just in case and I think allowing DS vs LS pk to exist as is will benefit the game more in the long run than making it mc-mud.

Nevirha

Post by Nevirha » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:27 am

I advocate for moving the timeline back to the Trolloc Wars! We'd get to play as part of the Ten Nations, and there would be no big timeline inconsistencies because we're basically making it all up as we go along.

I'm mostly joking since I know that would create a lot of work for the imms and would also result in the removal of the Seanchan from the game, which is probably somewhere near the NWIH list. It would just be kind of fun to explore this different world.

jafra

Post by jafra » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:36 pm

If MCs would be too powerful in Black Tower scenario, then nerf em until proper balance is met?

You can take away warrior prac bonus and clan weaves for example, so they are just like FCs. If you are worried about LS vs DS balance, and LS being overpowered due to influx of channies (MCs in this case), then maybe what the really says is that channies need a nerf in general so that proper balance can be achieved. I'm not sure I would agree with that statement, but that would be the appropriate measure to take if staff feels that channies are the source of the imbalance?

I would be sad to see my favorite classes nerfed but would gladly make that trade for updated timeline.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:58 am

It's both channeler balance and game options. Channeler balance because too many channelers around wil ruin pk. And game options would be like how people flock to stab for ease of certain play, or how we had a gazillion warriors were first 'nerfed' and their new bonus turned out too strong. Then imagine everyone wanting to be on the good guys', e.g. Dragon's side aaaand there would only be Defenders and Tower, pretty much, which would make for a boring game in terms of roleplay. At least recently there was a pretty decent spread, with several Red Eagles, Foresters, Queen's Guard, Civil Watch and so on, which gives people options.

The early books are far more interesting in terms of different factions on LS than the later ones and better documented to boot.