A Boy's Promise, A Man's Price ---&RPaward

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Faiz

A Boy's Promise, A Man's Price ---&RPaward

Post by Faiz » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:05 pm

Ely edit 6 June 2023:

1-6 qps, depending on length and quality.

Potential +1 qp: if part of a series: o

Total: 12 qps. Doesn't pertain to the Baerlon RP event, so no double bonus. I went beyond the norm because it's so long and includes finicky logs, which are usually a pain to include.

Note: This is the most action-packed thing I've written I think (though it begins with a slow scene), was super fun to write and the best part is that most of it is based on actual in-game interactions with PCs and mobs. Major thanks to Aloisa, Catisune, and Carlia especially for helping me with this story. Almost every player whose character is mentioned has given permission, or has a non-speaking appearance only (Except Taziar, but whatever he says in the story is what he told me over forums more or less). There were many other in-game Rp interactions I couldn't include due to time. Some plot points I had to rush through for the same reason.

I had also wanted to include some mob-related hints for future/wannabe darkfriends, but now that's a moot thing. Hope it's a fun read!

~

Faiz slipped into the inn. The place was buzzing. Even his usual table by the kitchen had customers. Rubbing the emblem of the Rising Sun on his chest, he looked around. No one had noticed him. Almost no one. His heart skipped a beat as he saw her, a green-checked washcloth tucked neatly at her waist, tallying numbers on a small notepad.

Ella smiled at him. Faiz pulled his helmet off, rumpled his hair, went to her. She poured him some ale. He sniffed at it, tasted it, pretended to like it. She scoffed, 'Don't be soft.' But there was that smile.

She passed him a small loaf. It was fresher than he expected. He tore a piece and bit into it. She murmured numbers and made tick marks. The noise of the inn evaporated for a time. He watched the curve of her neck, how it rose and fell ever so slightly with each breath.

The fire in the hearth was bright in the night. 'Ella,' he said, suddenly awkward.

'Don't,' she stopped him, her eyes too knowing.

Faiz shuffled in his pockets, wound a bit of string round his fingers. Tried again.

'I got promoted.'

'When?' She wasn't looking. Was counting tips. Smiling a little. About him or the tips, he wasn't sure.

'Last week.'

She turned a page, began ticking another list. He felt a sudden anger, wanting her to care, wanting it to matter. He glowered into his bread, took a purposeful sip of the ale, stole a glance at her. Now she was serving a customer. A tall Andoran with more gold crowns rattling in his purse than Faiz would see in a lifetime. He felt his fingers twitch. An old habit. He bit into another morsel, thought of the guild master with his marvellous beard and exploding paper tubes. Thought about how that man Teben had cuffed him when he tried to nick one.

'All right,' she said suddenly and it startled him. The Andoran had gone, good riddance. 'Father said I could go this year,' she was wiping down the counter in small precise circles. He felt a wild racing in his chest. He stared at her. 'Don't be soft,' she murmured, then stopped her scrubbing to look at him. His smile faltered at the firelight dancing in her eyes.

'Don't,' he began, wondering where his nerve had vanished.

She leaned over the counter and kissed his cheek lightly. He thought she smelled of kaf and spiced wine, and lavender. 'It's the Festival. I'll kiss who I want,' she said, shooing him to the door with a shy laugh.

Faiz left in a trance, the mug of ale still on the table, mostly untouched.

~

Outside, the snow was thick as his arm over the rooftops of the high and the low, far too early for Autumn. Faiz huddled under his thick cloak, watched men unloading their wagons and saddlepacks.

Spotting the Andoran walking to his horse, Faiz couldn't help himself. Quickening his pace, he barreled against the man as he passed.

'Ah, wasn't watching,' said Faiz as the man rubbed his hip angrily.

Suddenly, Faiz was sent sprawling to the cold ground as two figures in red tabards shoved him aside. Snarling in frustration, Faiz leapt to his feet, brushing damp snow from his con.

The Andoran laughed as the guard who had shoved him jeered, 'Lord Raal, is that a man or a boy, I can't tell, he's that puny.'

The other guard offered an arm good-naturedly, but Faiz shook it off. He began, 'You have assaulted one of the Rising Sun, sir..'

But the men were already walking off. Faiz looked for his sergeant, but no one was around. He burned with humiliation. Where were the Rising Sun, where had they been this past year, he thought bitterly. In the distance, he could see that the Andoran's guards were saddling horses, chatting with their companions in red tabards. He recognised Geoff and the woman Chyga, laughing with the uninhibited abandon of the wine-heavy. Faiz felt the fury rising even more. Last time he had seen Chyga was in Maerone, preaching about rights of refugees and Cairhien's faulty administration. Self-righteous, loud, and wielding a fearsome spear. Faiz snuck after them, keeping to the shadows. It wasn't hard with the snow and looming darkness of the evening. For a second he thought Chyga had seen him, but he kept his face averted as he fell into a quick trot behind them.

It was hard riding, and by the time he reached Maerone, Faiz was shivering in the chill. Grousing under his breath, he dragged his reluctant gelding to the inn the Andoran had stopped at. Faiz saw that Chyga had dismounted, and was talking to an old beggar, whose quavering voice was barely audible over the din of the town square.

Wheels within wheels, thought Faiz. The Andorans were free with their tongue and freer still with their pockets. Grateful and welcoming words rang through the air as Chyga belatedly walked into the inn, clearly a familiar sight. From where he stood, Faiz could see the Andorans talking to a diminutive woman inside. Faiz frowned. He had tried to warn both Taziar and Aira, but his words had gone unheeded for the most part. Learn to play the game, had been their sage advice.

Faiz rubbed sleep from his eyes, trying to look everywhere at once. Once there had been many Rising Sun about, but now he had been doing double shifts and sometimes triple. Repeated requests for more guards were ignored. And slights and arrogance from neighbours were becoming all too common.

Today, the bar was full of outsiders. Lord Joreer was dicing with Lord Tarak and a crowd had gathered to watch. Both were big, boisterous men and the crowd egged them on as they ordered more and more rounds of beer. Suddenly, someone was shoving him forward.

'Ah, Sun Major, won't you have a go at the dice?' the voice was formal, polite even, but Faiz could hear the undercurrent of mockery. The same mockery that had dogged him all his life.

Bitterly, Faiz let himself be hustled to the table. With the whooping and laughter surrounding him, he had no choice but to go along. His wages, which he had kept aside so carefully, were placed on the table. The bartender shot him a sympathetic look but Faiz couldn't meet his eyes. Pride warred with a lifetime of hoarding his coppers, counting them all over again before every meal.

To the pit of doom with it, he thought. He had a trick or two up his sleeve. But Joreer had seen it in his eyes, the resentment every noble recognised instantly.

'How 'bout we double the stakes?' said Joreer laconically, pulling out a soft leather pouch and clinking gold crowns on his own pile of copper with careless abandon. Faiz kept his eyes on Joreer, refusing to look at the stream of coin falling from Joreer's pouch.

There was a tense silence as the crowd waited for Faiz to take a seat. Surely, surely, the pride of the Rising Sun was at stake. To everyone's surprise, Faiz suddenly smiled, 'Now what kind of a host would I be to deny my guests a chance to play? Ah, there they are, my good friends.' He gestured expansively to the other side of the room where the Andoran and his retinue were just settling down. At first they seemed confused by the crowd's calls to them, but joined in for a game only too readily. Faiz slipped away, almost unnoticed.

Outside, he ran to the stables, breathing heavily. It had been close, too close. He burned with rage as Joreer's smirk played in his mind again and again. Looking around he saw stablehands tending to the fine warhorses belonging to the Tairens and Andorans while his own mare stood by in the distance, not even brushed down properly. In a fit of fury, he pulled out his knife and sank it into his mare's ribs. As he felt her life leave her, Faiz felt a moment of relief, if not peace.

Suddenly, he realised he was being watched. Faiz whirled around to see a tall merchant smiling at him. The merchant beckoned with his dimly lit torch and against his better judgement, Faiz followed him into the loft, thinking he would at least cut the man's purse if nothing came of it. But the merchant had his hand firmly on purse strings.

Faiz didn't like how the man towered over him. 'Whaddyu want?' he said irritably.

The man's smile sent a shiver down Faiz's back, 'It's what you want Major, that is the question.'

'Well,' said Faiz cautiously, trying to determine which way this was going, 'I do like gold crowns.' Obviously the man had a close relation or friend on the list of criminals. Faiz was always open to such deals.

'Oh, is that all you want?' The smile was knowing, all too knowing.

'Then what?' said Faiz angrily.

'The girl...' said the merchant.

In a heartbeat, Faiz had a blade pressed at the merchant's side, right between the ribs. 'What girl? Have you been spying on me?' he said through gritted teeth.

The merchant looked untroubled for someone who was one slip of the hand from having his guts spilled out. He simply jerked his head to his left, and now Faiz realised his own peril, and what the dim torchlight had concealed.

The old beggar's face leered at him from the corner of the loft, shadows circling him in sinuous tendrils. In his hand he held a ruby-hilted dagger, and Faiz instinctively knew that this was no ordinary dagger. The chill outside was nothing compared to what Faiz was feeling. He thought quickly. He could choose to fight.

The merchant interrupted his thoughts, 'We only want to talk, to give you your heart's desire.'

Faiz tried to stare down the beggar, but it was no use. Feeling unnerved, he stepped back from the merchant but kept his dagger aloft.

'State your business. Quickly, or I call the guards.'

The merchant exchanged an amused glance with the beggar, who was now chuckling. Then with a small mocking bow he said, 'It's Lord Raal you were following. Let's just say we have an interest in him.'

Faiz said nothing, lowered his dagger a hair's breadth.

'He had a commission from our master. He failed.'

'Wassat to do with me? Speak fast.'

'That Domani girl you like, he is smitten with her. Why do you think he visits Cairhien so often?' the mechant looked indulgently at the beggar, who had begun giggling to himself. 'Master wants her too,' he added as an afterthought.

Domani, thought Faiz, blank for a moment. Then he realised, 'Ella?' Even saying her name in front of these men felt wrong. But worse was the helpless burning anger that coursed through him.

'You didn't know? She's that Foppo's daughter, hidden because her father fears for his life.'

'How do you know?' said Faiz, wishing desperately that he had never followed the merchant.

'Because,' said the beggar leaning forward, 'It's us he fears. You see, master wants him too.' They both laughed at that.

Faiz thought desperately, then said, 'Spare her. She's done nothing.'

'Spare her?' sneered the beggar even as the merchant shot him a warning look, 'After we spent years searching for her? Those Tower filth brought her to Cairhien, the other end of the world. Secretly, bah! They thought we would give up. But master never forgets.'

'You asked me what I wanted? That's what I want.'

The merchant chuckled, 'How noble. Our master has promised the seat of House Raal to the one who brings her to him...alive. Now what do you say?'

Faiz unclenched his fists, trying to make the trembling stop, 'Why is she still alive then?'

The beggar spat, 'That Murandy woman. Red Ajah. She's bribed every guard in town to watch over her. Surprised -you- weren't on her list.'

Faiz almost dropped his dagger. 'Aloisa Sedai? Red Ajah sitter?' he whispered. Fear like nothing he had felt before filled him. Foolish, he had been foolish.

'A little oosquai in her glass of milk, and Ella becomes very talkative, did you know that Sun Major?' said the merchant.

Faiz said nothing.

'We were about to unsheath this dagger and slit her throat, when she told us about you.. how the poor orphan Faiz is actually from Maerone. And how your father, is the great....'

The dagger was out of his hands, and into the merchant's ribcage before he knew it. The merchant quivered for a moment, then slumped forward. Terrified, Faiz shoved the merchants body towards the beggar, and ran from the loft.

~

That week Faiz took to sleeping fewer and fewer hours. Even when he slept, it was fitful and full of dreams. Dreams of Ella suffering, dying. Faiz went on patrol after patrol, his eyes searching the streets restlessly, for what even he did not know. Once or twice he could have sworn he saw the beggar disappearing into the crowd but then it seemed like it was just the glint of the sun.

Harried and tired, one evening when he went to the inn as usual. Ella brought him a warm mug with an opalascent fluid, instead of his usual ale.

'Watzit?' he said, peering into the mug suspiciously.

'It'll do you good,' she was wiping down the counter as usual, but he sensed her agitation.

He took a small sip, then smiled at her gratefully. It was milk with honey, and something soothing. He could feel himself relaxing. She let out a small huff and began dicing some herbs. A tiny smile played on her face.

'How was the crowd?' he asked casually, slurping a little as he drank. He was too tired to really listen. But he wanted to hear her voice.

She didn't seem to mind that he sat with his cheek propped up on his elbow, stirring the milk absently, gazing at nothing half the time. She told him the rumours about the handsome Murandian lord leaving Lady Belavere's rooms, the tales of the new Sharan trading post that had opened deep in the waste, of the peddler who had told her she was the spitting image of a Domani court bard he knew, and of the Aes Sedai trio who had been so nice to her.

Faiz perked up at the last, 'Which Sedai did you say?'

Ella wiped a smudge on her cheek, glanced at Mistress Zara who was deep in conversation with the butcher, and said the name haltingly, 'Cat-i-sewn Sedai. She's Brown Ajah.'

Faiz felt a stab of relief. Still, he couldn't keep the grouchiness out of his voice, 'What'd she want with you then?'

Ella didn't seem to notice. Her eyes shone with excitement, 'She said I showed promise. She said I was quick with numbers.'

Faiz puffed up his chest, 'Well, you are. Don't need no Aes Sedai to tell you that.'

Ella gave him a look that made him all warm to his toes, then lowered her voice, 'You should meet her. She's so nice. I heard her asking for Lady Aira. Maybe if -you- talk to her, you'd get a foot into a Council seat.'

Faiz's eyes grew wide, 'Council seat?' He scoffed lightly, 'Me? I'm too young. A year ago I was nothing.'

Ella reached out with uncharacteristic shyness and touched his con, 'And you're Sun Major already.'

Ella's excitement was contagious and Faiz couldn't help but smile. And dream. If he had a Council seat, he could make sure that Andoran flaming Lord Raal never came for Ella again.

~

'Faiz, it has been a while,' Taziar beamed at Faiz.

'Lord Taziar...' began Faiz, trying and failing as usual to not be awed by Taziar's chambers.

'Come come,' Taziar held up a hand, 'You've been our squire since you were this high. Call me Taziar already.'

Faiz smiled. Taziar was the reason he had enlisted in the Rising Sun. The man had fed him, clothed him, and got him off the streets. As far as Faiz was concerned, he was a hero.

'I've been taking on extra shifts as you know.'

'And doing a fine job, fine job I hear.'

'Yes, well I was thinking of running for Council.'

Taziar looked surprised, 'Council? You?'

Faiz quelled his rising frustration and tried to explain, 'I can use the authority. Those Andorans and Defenders are always challenging me. They harass our people, Taziar.'

Taziar smiled indulgently, 'So turn it around so they fight each other. That is our way. Tell you what, I'll come along next time. How's that eh?'

Faiz nodded, but kept his eyes averted. Taziar meant well, but he played the Game of Houses in his sleep, and he had been asleep too long. This was no time for games.

~

One moment he was shouting orders at the East Gate. The next moment, he had a note in his hand and the beggar was slipping past the guards. The note simply read:

'R will move for E when the fireworks explode.'

The orders to assist the Borderguard came the next day, straight from the Council. Cairhien would be overrun if the Northern ranks broke, it read. At least, he thought bitterly as he crushed the parchment in his fist, he would be able to come back for the festival. He tried not to think about that other note.

He could think of nothing else.

'Ella,' he said, his eyes oddly blank.

She was waiting tables. It was overcrowded today.

'I've to get this to that Illian Lord, Faiz. He's already going on and on about being neglected,' she waved a plate at him, sounding harried. The smell of salted ham wafted in the air.

'They're sending me north. Today.'

'What's that? I'll be right back.'

'But...' he said, then added in a whisper at her retreating back, 'I've got to go now.'

As he kicked his warhorse's flank and took off for the Spine of the world, Faiz couldn't help but glance back at the only home he had known. This time, there was no sun in his eyes and he saw clearly - the dirty, old beggar was giving him a tiny, mocking wave.

~

War

*Snorgg* has arrived from the north.

* S HP:Scratched MV:Tiring > You silently approach your victim...

-=+**+=- -=+
*Snorgg* clumsily approaches you with a dagger of green jade, but you fend off the attack.

You can't backstab a fighting person, too alert!

* S HP:Scratched MV:Tiring - Snorgg: Healthy > f
west
south

You try to pierce *Snorgg*, but he parries successfully.

s
* S HP:Scratched MV:Tiring - Snorgg: Healthy > You panic and attempt to flee!

You flee head over heels.
Near the Foothills
[ obvious exits: N E S ]
Alas, you cannot go that way...

* S HP:Scratched MV:Tiring > Edge of the Foothills
[ obvious exits: N E ]
You sense a hidden life form in the area...
*Snorgg* is standing here.
A warhorse is here, stamping his feet impatiently.

* S HP:Scratched MV:Tiring > You attempt to hide yourself.

-=+**+=- -=+
Backstab who?

* S HP:Scratched MV:Tiring > backstab h.dark

-=+**+=- -=+*
*Reck* makes a strange sound as you place a curved clear dagger in his back!
*Reck* is dead! R.I.P.
You feel the Weave of the Wheel tighten around you.
You receive your share of experience...
Still better. Experience pays off.
Your blood freezes as you hear *Reck*'s death cry.

* S HP:Scratched MV:Tiring > g

Your heartbeat calms down more as you feel less panicked.

* S HP:Scratched MV:Strong >
*Puny* clumsily approaches you with a curved clear dagger, but you fend off the attack.

* S HP:Scratched MV:Strong - Puny: Wounded > You get a pair of animal-fur boots from the
corpse of Reck.
You get a pair of thick, gold-plated greaves from the corpse of Reck.
You get a belt pack from the corpse of Reck.
You get a gold mesh belt secured with a white flame clasp from the corpse of Reck.
You get a dagger of green jade from the corpse of Reck.
You get a polished onyx-inlaid shield from the corpse of Reck.
You get a sturdy pair of full leather gauntlets from the corpse of Reck.
You get a pair of polished, gold-plated vambraces from the corpse of Reck.
You get an elegant black cloak with a green insignia from the corpse of Reck.
You get a tunic of finely-crafted chain from the corpse of Reck.
You get a shimmering pendant of obsidian from the corpse of Reck.
You get a shimmering chain of gold from the corpse of Reck.
You get a strange, insectoid helm from the corpse of Reck.
You get a gold ring delicately carved with ivy from the corpse of Reck.
You get a gold ring delicately carved with ivy from the corpse of Reck.
You get a blood-red enameled trident badge from the corpse of Reck.

===

* S HP:Hurt MV:Weary > look
x
Way Amongst the Balconies
The walkway bends sharply inward here and leads to the crest of either tower
which gives it a perfect crecent moon posture. A waist-high balustrade with
missing rails here and there helps to assure your step.
[ obvious exits: N W ]

* S HP:Hurt MV:Weary > Stanislav has a few scratches.

* S HP:Hurt MV:Weary > west
[ obvious exits: E W ]
A warhorse has arrived from the east.

* S HP:Hurt MV:Weary >
Geoff narrates 'nope'

* S HP:Hurt MV:Weary > x
No-one by that name here.

s
* S HP:Hurt MV:Weary > You attempt to hide yourself.

* S HP:Hurt MV:Weary > You silently approach your victim...

east
-=+*Cancelled.
A warhorse has arrived from the west.

* S HP:Hurt MV:Weary > s
You attempt to hide yourself.

* S HP:Hurt MV:Haggard > *Stanislav* has arrived from the west.
You silently approach your victim...

-=+**+=- -=+*
*Stanislav* makes a strange sound as you place a curved clear dagger in his back!
*Stanislav* is dead! R.I.P.
Three times is the charm!
Your blood freezes as you hear *Stanislav*'s death cry.

====

* R HP:Critical MV:Strong > Mood changed to: Brave

west
* R HP:Critical MV:Strong > w
Road to Tarwin's Gap
[ obvious exits: E S ]
A gray palfrey prances skittishly nearby, being ridden by you.
*Carnage* is standing here.

* R HP:Critical MV:Strong > *Carnage* leaves south.
They aren't here.

* R HP:Critical MV:Strong > Bash who?

* R HP:Critical MV:Tiring > q
*Carnage* has arrived from the south.

*Carnage* cleaves your left leg very hard.
You wish that your wounds would stop BLEEDING so much!

-=
*Carnage* cleaves your right arm hard.
You wish that your wounds would stop BLEEDING so much!

+**+=- -=
Your bash at *Carnage* sends him sprawling!

* R HP:Critical MV:Tiring - Carnage: Critical >
You blast *Carnage*'s body hard.

* R HP:Critical MV:Tiring - Carnage: Critical > change mood brave
Mood changed to: Brave

You blast *Carnage*'s right arm hard.
*Carnage* is mortally wounded, and will die soon, if not aided.

You blast *Carnage*'s body into bloody fragments!
*Carnage* is dead! R.I.P.
Oh, much better the second time around.
Your blood freezes as you hear *Carnage*'s death cry.

* R HP:Critical MV:Tiring > g
nar rip carnage
You get a dark pair of steel boots from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a pair of ebony-steel plate greaves from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a flask stained with human blood from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a studded leather belt with a crossed swords buckle from the corpse of
Carnage.
You get a pair of long-handled war axes from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a sungwood bracelet from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a sungwood bracelet from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a pair of heavy metal gauntlets from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a pair of steel-plated vambraces from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a backpack from the corpse of Carnage.
You get an earthen brown mantle from the corpse of Carnage.
a thick, steel-plated breastplate: You can't carry that much weight.
You get a torc of gleaming steel from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a torc of gleaming steel from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a full metal helmet and visor from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a gold ring delicately carved with ivy from the corpse of Carnage.
You get a gold ring delicately carved with ivy from the corpse of Carnage.

* R HP:Critical MV:Tiring > You narrate 'rip carnage'

south

* R HP:Critical MV:Tiring > You start paying increased attention to your
surroundings.

* R HP:Critical MV:Tiring > sc
Road to Tarwin's Gap
[ obvious exits: N E S ]
A gray palfrey prances skittishly nearby, being ridden by you.

* R HP:Critical MV:Tiring > You have 1(395) hit and 88(124) movement points.
You have scored 100093494 experience points and 210 quest points.
You need 3406506 exp to level and 190 qp to rank.
You have amassed 28 Turn points to date.
You have played 13 days and 4 hours (real time).
This ranks you as Faiz the Sun Captain [Rising Sun 5] (Level 49).
You are standing.

===

* R HP:Wounded MV:Strong > Bend in the Forgotten Trail
A warhorse is here, stamping his feet impatiently, being ridden by you.
An elite trolloc is here, fighting an ogier.
An ogier is here, fighting an elite trolloc.

* R HP:Wounded MV:Strong > Alas, you cannot go that way...
*Scizzor* has arrived from the south.

* R HP:Wounded MV:Strong > kill $target$
You try to pierce *Scizzor*, but he deflects the blow.

* R HP:Wounded MV:Strong - Scizzor: Wounded >
*Scizzor* tries to pierce you, but you deflect the blow.
You try to pierce *Scizzor*, but he parries successfully.

* R HP:Wounded MV:Strong - Scizzor: Wounded > You do the best you can!

*Scizzor* tries to pierce you, but you deflect the blow.
You try to pierce *Scizzor*, but he deflects the blow.
An elite trolloc tries to pierce an ogier, but he deflects the blow.
An ogier barely strikes an elite trolloc's body.
An ogier barely tickles an elite trolloc's body with his strike.

f
* R HP:Wounded MV:Strong - Scizzor: Wounded > west
north
kill $target$
You panic and attempt to flee!

The Forgotten Trail
[ obvious exits: N S ]
A thin wispy fog drifts slowly across your path.

* R HP:Wounded MV:Strong > Bend in the Forgotten Trail
*Scizzor* is standing here.
*Scizzor* gives an elite trolloc an order.
An elite trolloc says ']bSXsGT'

* R HP:Wounded MV:Strong > You try to pierce *Scizzor*, but he deflects the blow.

*Scizzor* tries to pierce you, but you parry successfully.
You try to pierce *Scizzor*, but he parries successfully.
An elite trolloc tries to pierce an ogier, but he parries successfully.
An ogier tickles an elite trolloc's body with his strike.
An ogier barely strikes an elite trolloc's right leg.

* R HP:Wounded MV:Strong - Scizzor: Wounded > 3
A wispy fog has arrived from the south.
A wispy fog tries to hit you, but you parry successfully.
You stop riding him.
*Scizzor* hisses 's'

* HP:Wounded MV:Strong - Scizzor: Wounded > f
west
north
s

You swiftly dodge a wispy fog's attempt to hit you.
*Scizzor* pierces your body extremely hard.
*Scizzor* tries to pierce you, but you parry successfully.

* HP:Wounded MV:Strong - Scizzor: Wounded >
*Scizzor* panics, and attempts to flee!

* HP:Wounded MV:Strong - Scizzor: Wounded > You panic and attempt to flee!

*Scizzor* leaves south.
*Scizzor* has arrived from the south.

Bend in the Forgotten Trail
Bend in the Forgotten Trail

* HP:Wounded MV:Tiring > Alas, you cannot go that way...

* HP:Wounded MV:Tiring > You attempt to hide yourself.

* HP:Wounded MV:Tiring > An elite trolloc tries to pierce an ogier, but he deflects the
blow.
An ogier tickles an elite trolloc's left arm with his strike.
An ogier strikes an elite trolloc's right hand.
No way! You're fighting for your life!

* HP:Wounded MV:Tiring - a wispy fog: Scratched >
You pierce a wispy fog's left arm extremely hard.

* HP:Wounded MV:Tiring - a wispy fog: Scratched > say oo
You fail to pierce a wispy fog.
You swiftly dodge a wispy fog's attempt to hit you.
An ogier tickles an elite trolloc's left leg with his strike.
You say 'oo'
You dodge a bash from *Scizzor* who loses his balance and falls!

* HP:Wounded MV:Tiring - a wispy fog: Scratched > say tricky
f
You say 'tricky'

west
north
* HP:Wounded MV:Tiring - a wispy fog: Scratched > s
You panic and attempt to flee!

An ogier barely strikes an elite trolloc's body.
Your heartbeat calms down more as you feel less panicked.
*Scizzor* clambers to his feet.

The Forgotten Trail
[ obvious exits: N S ]

* HP:Wounded MV:Strong > Bend in the Forgotten Trail
*Scizzor* is standing here.

* HP:Wounded MV:Strong > You attempt to hide yourself.

* HP:Wounded MV:Strong > You silently approach your victim...
*Scizzor* leaves south.

-

=+**+
An ogier fails to strike an elite trolloc.

=- -=+
*Scizzor* has arrived from the south, riding a shadow stallion.

*Scizzor* makes a strange sound as you place a curved clear dagger in his back!
*Scizzor* is mortally wounded, and will die soon, if not aided.

* HP:Wounded MV:Strong - Scizzor: Incapacitated >

* HP:Wounded MV:Strong - Scizzor: Incapacitated >
A wispy fog tickles Scizzor's body with its hit.
*Scizzor* is dead! R.I.P.
Your blood freezes as you hear *Scizzor*'s death cry.
An elite trolloc realizes that someone is a jerk!
A wispy fog tries to hit you, but you deflect the blow.
An ogier barely strikes an elite trolloc's left leg.

~

Ella wrote often. She said more in letters than she ever had in person. One day she wrote,

'If there is a spark let it ignite, if a flower let it bloom.'

Another day she wrote,

'Where are those who would keep us company through the night of separation?
How long will the morning star converse alone?'

Faiz kept the letters, though he wrote rarely. She wrote about lessons with Catisune Sedai, meeting Kali Sedai, training with Aloisa Sedai. Every letter was full of excitement about Tar Valon now. Faiz frowned. Mostly at the state of his coin pouch. Most of his wages had gone into buying new armor. Cairhien would restock him, but Cairhien was far away. Every day, he counted the days till the festival. Perhaps Taziar would give him a loan. He dreamed of showing up in a fresh uniform and with an engagement ring from Tear. The pawn shop would have a good one.

Then one day Ella wrote,

'Lord Raal has invited me to visit the library in Caemlyn. It is not as big as ours, but Catisune Sedai says there is a copy of Anansi's poetry. You rememeber the Shienaran poet I told you about? She says you will like that.'

Faiz felt furious, nervous, helpless. Ella, for all her Domani charms, never saw through these things. He asked for leave from the Shienaran Commander. The Commander refused, said his hands were tied, 'If we pull the patrol, the trollocs will break through for the Dreadlords to ride south.'

Faiz was adament though, 'Cairhien needs me.'

He left, but there were angry mutters even from soldiers whose life he had saved. After all his work, he knew now there would be no letter of commendation to his Council. He told himself he didn't care and kept his horse on the road for Tar Valon. He had to intercept Raal, had to make Ella understand.

Tar Valon was supposed to be a great city - the Shining Walls. But at the tavern where he stopped for the night, civility to his uniform turned into disdain at his coppers. At night he slept fitfully, plagued by dreams of a dark city and visions of trollocs he had slain turning into the merchant who had accosted him in Maerone. In the morning as he was saddling his horse, a guard bumped into him.

'Watch it, boy,' said the guard, the flame of Tar Valon bright on his uniform. An Aes Sedai with him laughed at something. Faiz bristled. Cairhien people were short in stature, and he was short even in Cairhien.

'Is this how you treat high-ranking officials of allied nations?' he said loudly, far too loudly. People were staring at him, nudging each other with knowing smiles. He must look ridiculous, he knew, but it made him angrier still. An apology was made, quietly and respectfully. But the guards were arrogant, irritated that an Aes Sedai had apologised at all. There were more insults. And this time his protests were met with cold shoulders, hints that he should be on his way.

It didn't matter how many trollocs he had slain, or myrrdrraal he had challenged, he thought bitterly.

Faiz left, bursting with shame. But he watched the streets for the guard who had bumped him, and when he found him alone, lighting a handful of tabac in a pipe behind the tavern, Faiz stabbed him, pausing only to grab a pouch of coin and a small cask of wine from the man's belongings. The tabac lay strewn on the street. Shouts followed him as he sprang to his horse and left. He had been spotted but proably not recognised. He avoided the road for a long time and when the sky grew dark, found a small cave to sleep in. He was only a day away from Caemlyn in any case.

~

It was dark inside the cave, and he downed great gulps of wine, but sleep eluded him. The chittering of rats, the thick musty smell of horse dung, the face of the Aes Sedai as she laughed, the mockery in the guards eyes played over and over in his mind. Faiz ranted and cursed at Lord Raal, Cairhien, the Aes Sedai, Andor, Tear, Shienar and every nobleman he could think of. When he ran out of words, he tried to sleep again. That was when he realised that in fact he was not alone in the barn. The snarling of a small animal followed him as he stumbled towards a large tree outside.

By the Fallen Tree
A large tree has fallen over, perhaps after a storm, blocking the entire
way leading west. To the north some black, dead trees loom overhead, ready
to strike when least suspected. South the forest is too dense to travel
through leaving one choice, east.
[ obvious exits: E ]
A rat scurries around trying to get out of sight, surrounded by a dark aura.
An ancient, gnarled tree looms over you.

* HP:Scratched MV:Fresh >
*Mikhan* has arrived from the east, riding a shadow stallion.

* HP:Scratched MV:Fresh >
Mikhan swiftly dodges the ancient tree's attempt to hit him.

Faiz lies sprawled under an ancient tree, drooling out drops of red wine.

The air around the ancient tree's eyes seems to catch fire, blinding it.

Faiz jumps to his feet with a terrified startle, and makes a clumsy bow.

*Mikhan* chuckles politely.

*Mikhan* says 'Hello there.'

*Mikhan* pulls on the reins of his shadow stallion, which trots a quick circle about the fallen tree.

Faiz drunkenly gives a gold-chased goblet to *Mikhan*.

*Mikhan* sips from the goblet.

*Mikhan* gently strokes a rat's inner thigh... hmm...

*Mikhan* pats a rat on its head.

The golden sun sinks down behind the rugged hills.

Faiz's eyes don't reach his eyes as he mumbles some words.

*Mikhan* says 'Whispers have come to me'

*Mikhan* regards you with a cool gaze.

*Mikhan* says 'I was once a trolloc, before the Great Lord saw fit to remake me'

*Mikhan* says 'and, though I can no longer sup on it, from time to time I still crave human flesh'

*Mikhan* smiles at you.

Faiz stutters and shuffles back three steps.

......The rest was a hazy memory for Faiz.

o HP:Healthy MV:Fresh >
*someone* says 'You have an eye for shiny objects, I have noticed.'

o HP:Healthy MV:Fresh > inv
*someone* says 'Such an inclination is useful to the Great Lord'

*someone* weaves his hands, creating a hearty meal in the process.

*someone* weaves his hands, creating a hearty meal in the process.

*someone* gives you a strange fruit.

*someone* says 'Eat that.'

*someone* says 'NOW'

Faiz looks nervous.

Faiz cringes in terror.

Faiz eats the fruit.

*someone* chuckles politely.

Faiz chokes as he shoves a pineapple down his throat.

Faiz splutters and coughs.

*someone* says 'That fruit was created with the True Power'

*someone* says 'And marks you as my servant'

After that, Faiz rode north again. He met several commanders - mighty beings wielding great power. Some were men and some were myrdrraal. All were cruel, yet generous in their own way. Faiz learned quickly that if he accomplished the task given to him, he would be rewarded.

Relaying messages, spying in taverns, and killing where he was told to kill became second nature to him. The old beggar sometimes accompanied him, and now his gaze was no longer mocking.

Faiz did not know if Ella had written to him again, but her letters didn't matter now. Why settle for letters when he was riding the finest warhorse in the land? He would sweep her off her feet. All would admire him. He had traded in his dusty uniform for a fine wool coat, and his armor sparkled without a single chink. And the beloved gold coins had begun to accumulate in earnest. His new masters were generous. His new masters understood him and what he deserved in the world. What was Lord Raal, thought Faiz gleefully as he skewered a Kandori merchant's neck. Just another throat that could be sliced.

Each time he met with one of his master's commanders, Faiz was given new tasks to complete.

Faiz hisses as a scurrying rat bites his toe.

*someone* sighs and pulls a broken fiddle from his back. 'Why do I care?"

Faiz cringes as an eerie melody seems to fill the air.

Faiz whimpers, 'Master these liquids have been concoted with powerful spices.'

*someone* hisses 'Show me.'

Faiz says 'Yes master..a new warrior has risen to lead their armies.'

Faiz says 'He goes by the name Wail-long and wields a sword marked with a heron.'

*someone* hisses 'His time is come then.'

*someone* hisses 'now your message and make it quick'

*someone* hisses 'lest I shall feed you to the horde for wasting my time'

*someone* looms over you in a dominating fashion.

*someone* hisses 'I trust no one suspects your hand in this'

*someone* hisses 'You have done well, but know that if your scheme fails, there will be a price to pay'

Faiz says 'Master, it will not fail'

*someone* hisses 'Very good, the distraction of a conflict, will give us good opportunity to unfold plans elsewhere'

~

When the day of the festival arrived, Faiz was ready. His master had not only given him leave to go to the festival, but had entrusted him with a very special task. He was to meet with the Aes Sedai who would be attending, and give them a special brew. When they drank it, it would be easy for Rig and Mikhan to overpower them. He heard something about 'turning them' and 'expanding the circle' but he did not ask for details.

He raced up the steps of the palace, thinking only of the pearl-and-moonstone ring in his pocket. Tanya, the Tairen jeweler had handed it over to him with her blessing. Of course she had. After all, he had paid her double what it was worth. Life was good when there was coin to waste. First though, he had to issue a new uniform from Lord Talmanes. No one seemed to recognise him with his one-month old moustache and his fine new clothes.

Just as he reached the hallway, he saw a group of women exiting the library. It was Ella, with the Aes Sedai she had told him so much about. Smiling at Ella, he made a formal bow in the Cairhien style. Ella was introducing them, but he was too happy to really listen - even if one of the women was eyeing him with single-minded attention. For once, he didn't care what anyone thought. His moment had finally come. He was going to have everything he had dreamed of, and Ella would be by his side.

'Ella, I have brought the finest beverage from Tear for your friends. Let us go to the royal apartment upstairs,' he said with a smile.

They made their way to the chamber where diplomatic visitors were often housed. Faiz had a quick word with Ella and helped serve the tea. Conversation turned to the festival, and then to relations between Cairhien and Tar Valon. Even as they discussed the finer points, Faiz shifted impatiently on his seat until finally one of the women began drinking from her cup.

The woman interrupted Catisune, who was in the middle of reciting the history of the treaty in a most pedantic manner, to say, 'Sun Major, I'm afraid I like my tea a little sweeter. Could I trouble you for a little more honey?'

Faiz nodded graciously, and turned to bring the pot himself. When he turned back, he was pleased to see that the other two teacups were half empty now. Smiling to himself, he got to his feet, 'Please excuse me, I will see if Taziar and Aira are free yet. Ella will keep you company.'

He hurried away to send a message to his masters, but found that Ella had followed him into the hallway. No matter. He went to a window and nodded to the beggar who was waiting outside. The message would be sent.

'Ella,' he began with a broad smile, 'I have great news for us.'

'Wait Faiz,' she said with a smile of her own, 'I have a surprise for you!'

'Wassat?' he said, feeling impatient. Whatever surprise she had would be nothing compared to his.

'You know how you always said that in Cairhien you were never appreciated properly. Well the Aes Sedai are willing that you also come with us. And Lord Raal will...'

Fury raged in him, but he tried to keep his voice even, 'Come with you where? Where are you going?'

Her eyes were wide with excitement, 'To Tar Valon! I am to join the Tower. And they said you can transfer to the Tower guard. And maybe someday...' She was clasping her hands, a faraway look in her eyes.

Dully he said, 'Is that what you want?'

She looked at him searchingly and the light in her eyes dimmed, 'You don't approve.'

Faiz opened his mouth then closed it, not knowing how to tell her, what to tell her.

Ella lowered her voice, 'Listen, I know you're worried because of...him. But don't worry.' She was speaking in a rush now, her hands clutching his sleeves, hope in her eyes, 'Don't be angry Faiz, but I ...I told Aloisa..and she said it was wasn't your fault..and that they would take care of you.'

Faiz was stunned, 'You told her? About my father?'

'Don't be angry, say you're not angry,' she was looking at him the way he had always wanted her to look at him, as if her world waited on his approval.

Gently, ever so gently, he touched her cheek. No matter, he thought quickly. Rig would be here soon. And Mikhan. And Aloisa would be turned with the others. And Ella, well he would see that Ella learned not to trust so easily in future.

He smiled, 'It's okay, Ella. It'll be okay.'

She let out a sigh of relief. 'Oh thank the Light, I've been worried sick. I hadn't heard from you and I didn't know.' She hugged him and he patted her head awkwardly. Just like before.

'Go now Ella, go join the festivities. We'll go to Tar Valon on our own, all right? Spend some time together.'

Ella gave him another hug and turned to leave, 'Oh and what did you want to tell me, Faiz?' Her eyes were dancing, sparkling, like stardust he thought.

'Nothing for now, I'll tell you later. Go quickly, I must bring the Council to the Aes Sedai.'

He waited till she was gone, then raced to the dungeon below and made sure to snuff out his torch. From above he could hear the din that meant the festival had begun in earnest. As he climbed down, the chill in the air grew exponentially.

They were here.

Darkness swirled and out of that darkness stepped Rig, Rark, Fiddler, Meren, Kesumi, Byrg and Stanislav. Faiz gestured to them to follow him, then made for the noble quarters. The unlucky guards who crossed their path were snuffed out before they could blink.

When he opened the door to the apartment, the Aes Sedai were seated as before. Aira and Taziar were with them. To his horror, he saw that Ella was also there.

'I ran into Aira on the way, Faiz, so I told her to come,' said Ella brightly.

Numbly, Faiz calculated. Two new warriors, three Aes Sedai who couldn't channel. It would matter little. Ella, only Ella had to be saved. There was no time and there were no other exits. He grabbed Ella and dived with her behind a heavy bookcase just as the door blasted open.

Inexplicably, a gateway skewered the air and five more Aes Sedai stepped out, two wearing shawls of Red, two in shawls of Green, and one Blue that he recognised as Kali Sedai. The air shook with the amount of the One Power being used. From the corner of his eye, he saw that one of the three women he had thought was Aes Sedai was now wearing a Warder cloak.

Somehow, they had known. No matter, thought Faiz desperately. He had to get Ella away, get Ella safe. He had one trick left - a bundle of fireworks he had kept aside as a precaution.

'Ella,' he shouted over the explosions from the apartment and from outside, 'I'm going to blow up the floor. Get ready.'

There was no time to wait for her response. He lit the bundle, tossed it to a corner, grabbed Ella and jumped in the tailwind of the explosion.

They landed on the stone floor of the dungeon below. 'Ow,' said Faiz rubbing his side. He turned to Ella and saw her lying there with that small smile of hers, frozen in time. 'Ella?' he said again, terror gripping his heart. A shadow fell over her. He looked up and saw a tall figure - it was Rig, who hissed,

'Cowering here, worm?'

Another shadow. Fiddler hissed, 'You failed us fool. The Aes Sedai brought more, and it cost us Meren and Stanislav who will be gone for who knows how long.'

Kesumi hissed, 'Byrg is injured. He will never be able to face a channeler again.'

Faiz watched as Rark incinerated Ella's remains, before hissing, 'You will be punished for your failure. You will wander the lands with no help from us, worm.'

Faiz whimpered in agony as Mikhan lazily waved his hand from the corner, 'Toss him in the pit of doom for a month. Maybe some day this bastard son of Mazrim Taim will show promise. But that day is not today.'

THE END

1) Shout out to the remorts who worked with me, especially Rig, Rark, Mikhan, Fiddler and Stanislav, thanks to whom I got to do some fun RP things as well
2) I can't thank everyone who helped me for various secrecy reasons, but you know who you are!
3) Many thanks to the imms who gave a lot of options for this path.
4) The poem excerpts that Ella sends Faiz are from actual poems by the Urdu poet Faiz which I translated here.

(Removed the deleted scenes as i forgot to ask the person the joke was played on :0)