Portrayals of testing ---&RPaward

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Aelrena

Portrayals of testing ---&RPaward

Post by Aelrena » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:30 pm

Ely edit 25 Mar 2023:

1-6 qps, depending on length and quality.

Potential +1 qp: if part of a series: o

Total: 4 qps

Here is a series of short stories that I've written about Aelrena both in preparation for and as she goes into the test for the shawl. I intend to write a few more within the test itself, and a bit about recovery, but wanted to get these out for any who cared to read them. I hope you enjoy!

Aelrena's face remains impassive as sweat slides down her it, leaving a glistening trail across her cheek. A tiny huff of breath escapes her lips and the 94th weave snaps into place in front of her. The barest hint of a smile touches her lips before movement at the corner of her eye catches her attention. A bird like woman, around the shoulders of whom lays a brown shawl. Aelrena drops into a quick curtsy, spreading her banded dress wide before releasing the source. The Aes Sedai watches the Accepted quietly a moment, her gaze sharp before tapping her lips in thought, "Light illumine you, Child." "And you, Catisune Sedai" comes the response, as the corners of Aelrena's lips twitch up at the appearance of her mentor. Catisune's head cants to the side, watching the young woman as a hawk might a mouse before her eyes drift across the courtyard. Despite this, her face remains pointed toward the Accepted, giving the appearance that her true focus has nothing to do with the courtyard at large. "Enjoying the night air, are you Child?" she asks, the question cutting through the biting cold air of the practice yard. Her tone full of mirth, Aelrena responds in a quiet voice as she herself gazes back across the practice yard, "I'm clearly trying to impress the Warders' students with my knowledge of weaving, Catisune Sedai." A smirk finally break through the semblance of calm the Accepted has been playing at, the expression making her normally plain face beautiful for the briefest flash of a moment. "I have seen more- and for that matter less - foolish tactics work than this." responds the Aes Sedai, as her eyes drift to Draz Gaidin, his eyes closed peacefully as he rests against a pillar at the edge of the courtyard. Aelrena nods in response, turning to look across the courtyard with the Aes Sedai before her gaze returns to the woman herself. "They ARE men, after all. They're quite often caught up in who can swing their sword the fastest, or Light forbid, who has the largest.", the Accepted barely manages to suppress the smirk this time, her lips quirking slightly as her eyebrows rise marginally. Catisune's attention returns to the courtyard, her gaze resting on Draz for another long moment. "Indeed." She murmurs, seemingly lost in thought, though the corners of her large watery eyes crinkle at the comment. Aelrena shakes her head gently, the dark brown tail at the back swaying from side to side. "But to answer your question, yes. I find I focus better during the night than the day, Catisune Sedai." The Aes Sedau tuts gently, the small sound reminiscint of a quiet hoot, echos between the ringing sound of practice swords. "Yet another way you align yourself with the sisters of the Brown, who are noted for our…" she trails off briefly before continuing on "Unorthodox schedules." Aelrena nods along without missing a beat, "I'm certain that when my time comes I'll find my home quite nicely among you." She then looks to the fountain at the center of the yard, keeping the Aes Sedai at the corner of her eye. Catisune on the other hand turns without another word and glides from the courtyard. Aelrena chuckles under her breath, before shaking her head and embraces the source, chiding herself quietly "From the beginning now dear." And the first of the hundred weaves begins to form in the air in front of her.

Aelrena pushes a strand of her dark brown hair from her face as sets the writing pen down. She tuts quietly, and stretches her hand, extending the fingers in a wide splay as she looks down at her work. A blue-dyed leather bound journal rests on the desk, the surface of its pages littered with a neat, elegant script which stretches and loops across it. "Light. It's been a while since I've transcribed anything.", she murmurs, her words the only sound in the dim room. She glances over to the fireplace first, before her eyes dart to the door. The young woman then shakes her head, releasing a sigh before embracing the source and setting a series of 7 balls of light over the desk, holding the threads rather than tying them off as she watches the light within them vaccilate. She sets back against the back of her chair after a long moment, her gaze once again returning to the desk. A wider view shows the other tomes open on the desk, three open with a series of 5 others resting beneath them. "A rose petal floats on water.", a gentle musing seemingly half thoughtless as she absently begins rolling her wrist back and forth. "I suppose it does at that, under the proper circumstances." The Accepted looks back up to the lights she left hanging above her before adding another, concentration crossing her face as she attempts to hold onto the weaves. Pbf. one of the lights vanish. Thrbfff. Another sigh, this one longer as she ties off the remaining five lights. "But then they just as often sink.". Her words are thoughtful, though there's also a touch of melancholy as her eyes remain upon the tied off weaves. "Sink or float indeed…", she trails off, and begins idly spinning the great serpent ring upon her finger. She releases the One Power, though she looks lost deep in thought. After what seems to be an eternity she picks her pen back up, turning the page in the journal before looking to one of the other tomes and once again slowly scribing the page.

The surroundings flash by as Aelrena runs along the banks of the island, the Tower looming high overhead. Her breath comes in heavy pants, creating a near constant stream of mist. Sweat beads upon her face despite the cold, an occasional rivulet of moisture dampening her banded dress. "Hfff… constant.. huff… calm", she manages between pants. And then her foot catches upon the root of an ancient tree, throwing her to the ground as a tiny crack resounds through the glade. She grunts quietly, pain radiating up from her ankle and through her leg. As she falls she rolls her body to the right, taking the impact of the fall to the shoulder. A small cloud of dust rises After a moment of labored breathing she attempts to rise to her feet only to let out an involuntary hiss as the ankle refuses the weight. "Blood and ashes, Ael.", she near-growls under her breath, "Blood and bloody ashes.". Another crack rings out, though this one is comes from the trees edge, as a large dark form looms within the treeline. The Accepted's curses stop abruptly as her attention shifts, her umber eyes focused upon the figure. Her expressions shifts to something resembling Aes Sedai calm as she murmurs "Psh psh. It's okay, I'm not here to hurt you…" another small figure moves in the shadow of the larger figure, "or your kid, it's okay." A low growl resonates outward from the grizzly, warning clear as it watches the Accepted. Aelrena rolls her body to face the bear, manuevering to sit up and slide backward. The growl continues, picking up in volume as she moves. "Light, please don't ma- hrg", she grunts as she jars her ankle against the ground. She lets out a long exhale, embracing the source at the time. She then pulls together a pair of weaves, the first Folded Light, formed from strands of fire and air she vanishes from sight. In the same moment, she weaves air creating a gust of wind toward the south, pushing her scent away from her current location. The growls suddenly cut off by a confused grunt as the grizzly emerges from the shadows. Large furrows rend through the brown fur of her face, creating a series of five bloodied lines. As she moves forward, her heavy feet create gentle thumps. Her nostrils flare, the muscles within quickly vacilating as she gauges the air. Aelrena herself sits still as the bear draws closer, preparing a weave of spirit, air and water just in case. She breathes shallowly as the mother draws within a few of feet her, the cub now finally moving from the shadows itself. The small cub dashes forward, stumbling slightly as it approaches its mother. As it reaches her, it rears up on its backlegs and playfully bats at her hindquarters before leaning forward and nibbling at the muscle. The larger grizzly turns from her task, her sniffs cutting off as her cub attempts to play. She pushes him back toward the treeline with one paw before turning back to look at the now seemingly empty space. After a long look, the grizzly turns around, gently nibbling her cub back before pushing him once again toward the forest edge. The pair quickly disappear into the trees, and Aelrena lets out a relieved sigh before looking down to her injured limb and probing it gently with trained fingers. "Light, Ael." She murmurs, "How do you plan to explain this one?" She doesn't flinch as her fingers continue to move, palpating the joint. "Running… and you tripped." She sighs, weaving air around the joint to hold it still, before trying once again to stand, only placing the barest hint of her weight upon it. Her lips twitch, though that's the only sign of pain as she rises. Her lips then quirk to the side, "Exploring for the purpose of preparation perhaps."

Aelrena follows behind the Mistress of Novices as the woman keeps one eye upon her in study. The Accepted’s own gaze moves from tapestry to tapestry as the pair move deeper into the Tower’s sub-levels. She begins to raise her hand to push back a strand of hair that’s fallen free from the tail at the base of her skull, before she glances at Sheriam. After a moment, she pulls the fabric tying back the hair free, and her dark down brown hair falls free to just below her shoulders. Despite the action, her step behind the Aes Sedai never falters, even as she begins wrapping the strip around her right wrist. The pair arrive at a set of large, wide doors which are reminiscent of fortress gates in their size. Sheriam embraces the source and channels, flows of air opening the door upon its silent, well-oiled hinges. The mistress of novices then dips her head slightly, gesturing to the door “After you.” Aelrena strides through the door, revealing a domed chamber with stand lamps arrayed about the perimeter, casting dancing shadows across the walls. In the center of the room, a large ter’angreal dominates with an oval shape, its rim as thick as an arm. It sits suspended in the air without support, and it glitters in ever-changing colors. Standing about it is a group of seven Aes Sedai, their faces solemn as they regard the Accepted. Sheriam steps up behind Aelrena, “This is where I leave you, Accepted. No Aes Sedai will speak to you of what your test may be, and you may not tell anyone of what your test has been.” Aelrena nods in response, and Sheriam responds, looking to the group of Aes Sedai about the Ter’angreal. “She is yours.” She then turns back to the Accepted, “The Light illumine you, Accepted Aelrena.” The Mistress of Novices then takes her leave, giving one firm nod before returning through the large doors at the edge of the chamber. A soft sound echos through the chamber as the exit seals, and Aelrena fixes her gaze upon the Aes Sedai. “Girl. Remove all your clothes. This test will not begin until you do, false modesty will not serve you.” The Accepted nods in accordance with the ritual, quickly doffing her dress and ring, placing them in neatly folded pile next to the wall. “Attend”, the Aes Sedai speaks as the Accepted returns to stand in front of her, and the Ter’angreal hums quietly to life amid the Aes Sedai. “You come in ignorance, Aelrena. How will you depart?” she recites, her tone cool as she regards the woman. “In knowledge of myself”, comes Aelrena’s own alto voice, quiet though resolute underneath the hum. “For what reason have you been summoned here?” “To be tried.” comes the response, Aelrena shifting her weight slightly on her feet. “For what would you be found worthy?” The Accepted responds a final time, her voice a touch louder now, “To wear the shawl.” The Aes Sedai merely nods, her face tranquil “I will instruct you, You will see this sign.”, she then spread her fingers, a weave forming a six-pointed star in the air. Behind her, Aelrena feels one of the other women forming another weave,spirit touching the back of her head. “Remember what must be remembered.” comes the quiet whisper from Anaiya. The first Aes Sedai speaks again, “When you see this sign, you will go to it immediately.” Another quiet echo “Remember what must be remembered.”, The Aes Sedai continues, “When you see this sign, you will go to it immediately. Go at a steady pace, neither hurrying nor hanging back.” Anaiya speaks clearly behind the accepted once again, “Remember what must be remembered.” The Aes Sedai in front of Aelrena tightens her lips ever slightly as she looks the accepted over one final time. “You will weave one hundred times, though you may not realize you are doing so.” A final repetition from Anaiya floats through the air, as the weave of spirit fully sinks into the Accepted. “Remember what must be remembered.” The ter’angreal then begins to glow more brilliant, the colors upon its surface shifting and changing. Its center begins to glow a brilliant, pure white, and the sound of grinding stone rocks the room as it begins to revolve. “You may enter the Ter’angreal, Aelrena” the first Aes Sedai says, a note finality in her tone as she gazes upon the Accepted. Aelrena then takes a breath, the sound of moving stone creating a chill that runs up her back before she takes the last remaining steps into the now blinding light of the Ter’angreal. All around her light fractures, reality coming apart at the seams. Every direction fusing into one. And then she knew no more.