An Acolyte visits Tar Valon ---&RPaward

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Kordin

An Acolyte visits Tar Valon ---&RPaward

Post by Kordin » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:39 pm

Ely edit 19 February 2022:

1-6 qps, depending on length and quality.

Rplizer +1 qps : x --- doing a +1 for manual edit as long as RPlizer was down
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : x
Length bonus +1-2 qps : x

Summary: +1 qps : x

Total: 8 qps, also awarding Tris (3)s. Noting Asriel (3) so he can be rewarded once clanned.

Manual edit - RPlizer not working at the moment.

POV: Kordin
Main characters: Asriel, Kordin, Triss
Participant: A Tower Guard
Merrily splashing: The fountain
Not interrupting: Town crier

Summary: Acolyte Asriel is in Tar Valon Town square when Master Kordin arrives. The Acolyte strikes a conversation about Illuminating enlightenment which then progresses into a debat on the Shadow and it's reach. Accepted Triss arrives from the direction of the the White Tower and joins the two in the Town Square. The Acolyte is wary of the Accepted and the debate continues about the One Power, Shadow, and world breaking....the town crier does not interrupt.
Asriel's eyes seem to gleam with a strange zealous light.

Asriel looks at Kordin.

Asriel inclines his head in greeting to you.

Kordin nods at Asriel.

Asriel says 'Hello Lord Kordin.'

Tower Square
This side of the square is the southern section of the Tower Square.
In the center is the walled off White Tower. To the south a large
boulevard opens up leading to the Southharbor. To the north you see
the southern gate of the Tower grounds. The square continues east
and west.
A large banner rests here, depicting a map of Tar Valon.
[ obvious exits: N E S W ]
A small purse is here.
A marble bench, flecked with gold and bronze, adorns the floor.
An oil lamp, set in a steel cage, hangs from a high wooden pole.
An elaborately sculpted marble fountain splashes merrily.
A stout wooden barrel stands nearby.
A Tower Guard watches for signs of trouble.
A Tairen bloodstock stallion stands here, tail swaying with the breeze, being ridden by you.
Asriel the Acolyte is standing here, riding a warhorse.
The Tar Valon town crier stands here, spreading the news.

Kordin says 'Hello there'

Asriel says 'You are an Illuminator I hear.'

Asriel thinks hard.

Kordin nods at Asriel.

Asriel says 'I assume then you are an enthusiast of Illumination?'

Asriel says 'Such as the Way of the Light?'

Kordin says 'I assume you mean to ask whether I walk in the Light?'

The fountain splashes merrily, light sparkling beautifully on the surface of the water.

Asriel says 'That as well.'

Kordin nods at Asriel.

Asriel says 'Though I suppose your definition of Illumination is different than being enlightened.'

Kordin chuckles politely.

Kordin says 'Indeed it is, although our Illuminations can be enlightening as well'

Kordin says 'Odd to see one such as yourself in Tar Valon...'

Asriel says 'I came to Tar Valon in an attempt to explain to the women that live here the folly of their ways. However none appear to be hear.'

Kordin runs his left hand knuckles over his beard, then pinches his mustache with thumb and index knuckle. 'Hmm.'

Asriel says 'Where better to bring the Light than that place where it is darkest?'

A Tower Guard raises an eyebrow.

A Tower Guard says 'The Shadow shall never succesfully infiltrate the Shining Walls.'

A Tower Guard says 'Not while those of us in the Guard have a breath of life left in us.'

A Tower Guard grins at Asriel.

Asriel absently rubs a thumb along the haft of his axe.

Kordin says 'Seems the Tower Guard here disagress with your assesment of this place'

Triss has arrived from the north, riding a wild stallion.

Triss curtseys before Kordin.

Kordin smiles at Triss.

Asriel says 'They are just led astray by the Shadow.'

Asriel says 'Hello Accepted.'

Triss looks at Asriel archly.

Triss looks at Asriel.

Asriel says 'I was telling Lord Kordin here about the Way of the Light.'

Asriel looks at Triss.

Triss drawl "Hello, Acolyte"

Asriel inclines his head in greeting to Triss.

A Tower Guard leaves south.

You say 'How are the astray? The Guard just said the Shadow will not breach the walls as long as they breathe life'

Asriel says 'I assume, by your dress, that you are an Accepted here in the Tower?'

Triss drawls "I believe Master Kordin knows a lot about the Light and also lights already."

An ogier has arrived from the west.

Triss smiles at Kordin briefly.

Asriel shakes his head sadly.

Asriel says 'They say they keep out the Shadow, but I fear it is already here, in this place.'

Asriel says 'With the unnatural practices they are teaching you here.'

Triss drawls "Are you sure it hasn't arrived with you, if you're so convinced about it's presence right now?"

Asriel says 'It was here long before I arrived, I assure you. I seek only to spread the Word and teach of the Light.'

Asriel says 'For where not bring the Light, than in the place where it is dark?'

Triss weaves her hands, creating a hearty meal in the process.

Triss eats a strange fruit.

Asriel gasps in astonishment.

Asriel pales.

Asriel says 'You use the Power that only the Creator should use!'

Asriel takes a step back.

Triss drawls "I know enough about such teachings. And I've escaped more feared teachers than you can imagine. I serve the Light with the tools given by the Creator".

Asriel says 'It is blasphemy to use the Creator's Power!'

Kordin says 'Has the Creator not given it to her? You say it is unnatural, yet if there are those who are born with it....'

Triss drawls "If you mind it so much, then go somewhere, where it won't happen. Or if you wish to be useful, go and convince the Seanchan Empress about it."

Asriel says 'Perhaps you only have access to such Power as a test by the Creator.'

Kordin blinks his eyes innocently.

Asriel says 'The Creator tests us all in different ways.'

Asriel sighs loudly.

Kordin says 'Then if it is a test by the Creator, how is it Shadow?'

Triss drawls "The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills. I've been given this tool to serve the Light. Not using it would be like tying your hands behind the back and refusing to work".

Triss peers closely at Asriel, trying to figure him out.

Asriel says 'It is the draw of the Shadow that strays us from the Light.'

Triss drawls "But as I look at you, you might be able even of that"

Asriel says 'The touch of the Shadow makes those who are weaker of will touch the source and twist the world.'

The room becomes brighter as Triss creates a ball of light above her hand.

Asriel considers Triss with an appraising eye.

Kordin says 'I see strange fruit and balls that shine brightly...hardly tools to twist the world'

The fountain splashes merrily, light sparkling beautifully on the surface of the water.

Asriel says 'In the Age of Legends, I have read stories that tell of both sides of the One Power being used by males and females alike.'

Asriel says 'What was the result of man's hubris to use such Power?'

Asriel says 'They broke the world!'

Asriel says 'Had they never touched the One Power, the world would never have been broken!'

Triss drawls "The most prosperous Age! It was not the One Power, what corrupted it"

Triss drawls "The world was broken and rebuilt and will be again and again. This turn of the Wheel and the next."

Asriel says 'By using the One Power, the Dark One was able to taint the men... what could stop him from doing the same to the women?'

Asriel says 'Best to never touch it so as not to risk another breaking!'

Asriel says 'You here admit that you want to see the world broken again??'

Asriel takes another step back.

Asriel says 'Surely the Shadow has its hand on this place!'

Kordin says 'Do you consider it best to never leave the safety of your Fortress of Light then, Acolyte? We must push forward and accept and overcome what challenges the Wheel throws before us'

Kordin says 'And at us'

Asriel looks at Kordin archly.

Asriel says 'All I need is my axe, to cleave the heads of the fades and trollocs from their shoulders.'

Triss drawls "No, I pray to live my whole life in stability. But refusing to believe in the Wheel turning is like refusing to believe in high and low tides"

Kordin says 'To those of us unfamiliar with the One Power, it is terrifying, but has the Accepted here done anything to harm either of us? Be cautions and suspicious, by all means, but there are no obvious reasons for anything more'

Asriel turns to Kordin.

Triss drawls "As long as you use that axe only on Shadowspawn and firewood, you are welcome. But don't walk the same murderous path as those you aspire to join, or you'll bring more Shadow with you than most others."

Asriel says 'Perhaps not at the moment, Lord Kordin, but the more they use the Power, the more they risk being tainted by the Shadow again.'

Triss drawls "Do I look like a man to you?"

Kordin says 'I am no Lord, young Acolyte. But a humble Master of the Guild.'

Kordin smiles happily.

Asriel says 'I am sure the men that channeler before the Breaking thought they were safe to use the Power as well.'

Asriel says 'And yet, here we are, and they are doomed to go mad.'

Triss brushes her hair with her hand, the shorter hair on her former shaved sides no longer noticeable at first sight.

Asriel says 'Who is to say the Shadow cannot tempt more women to taint the other half of the Power.'

Asriel says 'Best to not touch it at all.'

Triss drawls "You seem mad already, and you don't even channel."

Asriel arches an eyebrow.

Kordin says 'And who is to say the Shadow cannot tempt both men and women to turn on the women who can, I assume, safely use the One Power?'

Asriel says 'Far from it, Accepted.'

Triss nods at Kordin.

Asriel thinks hard.

Triss drawls "I suppose you won't allow anyone to Delve you and help. But perhaps seek a Wisdom, get some calming tea, and then think about serving Light in a more meaningful manner."

Asriel says 'Exactly, the Shadow may tempt women, having been succesful against the men.'

Asriel looks at Triss archly.

Asriel says 'I don't see what I've said that could possibly be interpreted as mad.'

Asriel says 'Your suspicion of those that would want to see a cleaner world concerns me.'

Triss drawls "Mad men rarely recognize the signs of their own madness."

Kordin says 'The Shadow may be tempting you, by controling your fears which in turn control you? '

Asriel shakes his head.

Triss drawls "Cleaner? It is covered by blood, wherever the Whitecloaks go. Nothing cleaner about that"

Asriel says 'The One Power is what we should fear. Can you guarantee the female half is immune from being tainted by the Dark One?'

Asriel says 'The Dark One tainted one half, what would stop him from tainting the other?'

Triss drawls "Saidar is not Tainted."

Kordin says 'I cannot. Just as I cannot guarantee that you are not being used by the Shadow to divide the lands of the Light, even by claiming it is for sake of the Light.'

Triss drawls "And we are clearly being trained well in patience, as I am proving right now."

Asriel says 'I mean no division. I am willing to work with anyone against the Shadow.'

Kordin says 'In fact, can you guarantee anything in life? Does each turn of the Wheel come with guarantees of sorts?'

Triss nods at Kordin.

A raucous group of sailors leaves west.

Asriel says 'I just feel we should rely on our physical strengths and cunning, rather than using such an abominable Power.'

Triss drawls amusedly "The Wheel guarantees as the Wheel wills"

Asriel says 'So you say it's possible the female half could become tainted?'

Triss chuckles politely.

Asriel says 'Why would you want to risk touching such a thing and risk it, like the men did?'

A smartly dressed man has arrived from the south.

Triss drawls "No wonder you mention just those two qualities, as you lack most of the more important ones."

Asriel arches an eyebrow.

Kordin says 'You call it abominable mere moments after calling it the Creators Power. Do you not see your confusion?'

Triss nods at Kordin.

Asriel says 'The use by mortals is what is abominable.'

Asriel says 'The wielding of it. Better ti rise against that temptation and be strong in your physical abilities.'

Triss drawls "Torturing people just because they have a talent you lack, that is abominable."

Asriel says 'Where have I tortured anyone?'

Kordin says 'The Creator made this world, made the Wheel...would he be so clumsy as to let mortals have access to His power on accident? Or could it be part of his design we are yet to understand?'

Triss drawls "Physical abilities. So perhaps your whole issue is with females actually being more powerful than you. That's why you demand us to give up Saidar?"

Asriel says 'I have known plenty of strong women.'

Triss drawls "You are an Acolyte, you support torturers and aspire to join them. Not much of a difference."

Triss nods at Kordin.

Asriel says 'In fact, I hear many among the Seanchan are quite powerful women in the ruling class.'

Asriel says 'And soldiers amongst their armies.'

Asriel says 'Not that I approve of their use of their own Aes Sedai... leashed or not...'

Triss drawls "Yes, such as the Empress, Ma... the Empress."

Kordin ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Asriel says 'They too, use the One Power for war and destruction.'

Triss drawls "Perfect, then why don't you go and preach in Falme? That might be some real service to the Light"

Asriel shivers uncomfortably.

Asriel says 'Perhaps I will. The Light needs to be brought to the Seanchan as well.'

Asriel says 'I haven't encountered them that far west yet, but I hear they ride beasts of the Shadow as well!'

Triss drawls "Then do so. Perhaps the induced headache will slow down their armies for a few days."

Asriel smirks.

Triss drawls "No beast of the Shadow. The Shadowspawn on the Seanchan continent had been exterminated centuries ago."

Asriel shrugs helplessly.

Triss drawls "It was the Corenne, who were surprised by the existence of the beasts of the Shadow in flesh and blood and not just legends"

Asriel says 'Perhaps. Or perhaps that is what they merely want us to believe on this side of the ocean.'

Triss drawls "Corlm or Raken are no more Shadow beasts than cow or foxes. Are you afraid of those too?"

Asriel says 'Those who so openly use the One Power in battle, perhaps they are also touched by the Shadow.'

Kordin says 'Perhaps the Illianers also have seen pink lizards breathing fire at their gates, hmmm? '

Asriel chuckles politely.

Triss nods at Kordin.

Triss drawls "Well, the Illianers probably found some shadow on the bottom of a wine bottle."

Asriel says 'Drink can do much to twist a man's mind. I avoid such mind-altering substances.'

Kordin nods in agreement.

Asriel says 'Best to keep one's mind clear.'

Kordin says 'Can do much to twist it, but also to relax it a bit...you'd do well finding the amount needed for that young one...trust you me...'

Kordin nods to himself. Very reassuring.

Triss drawls "Go to the west, Acolyte. See what it does to you. And to the west. Here, you are of no use."

Asriel shrugs helplessly.

Asriel says 'I think I shall seek to learn more of the Seanchan. The Light must be brought to everywhere where the Shadow may dwell.'

Triss mutters "If I didn't know better, I'd almost pity the Seanchan."

Asriel says 'Think on what I've said today, Accepted. And I hope you and your... sisters will see a better path than the one you are currently following.'

Kordin says 'I beg to differ Accepted. The Acolyte here is of use. The Word of Light should be spread, but it is how it is done, and what the definition of Shadow is to the Acolyte here...is what matters...should we prevail against the true Shadow, we must all find common ground'

Asriel nods at Kordin.

Asriel says 'I will think on your words as well.'

Kordin nods at Asriel.

Triss drawls "From where I stand, he just wastes time, instead of doing some real work for the Light."

Asriel says 'I must go now. Walk in the Light.'

Asriel inclines his head in greeting to Triss.

Asriel inclines his head in greeting to Kordin.

Asriel leaves west riding a warhorse.

Triss drawls "Get a lantern, you clearly struggle with following the Light otherwise."

Kordin snickers softly.

Triss drawls I need to run. Have a great day, Master. I'd like to also use this opportunity to tell you I appreciate the Illuminator lights much more than the damane ones.

Asriel

Re: An Acolyte visits Tar Valon

Post by Asriel » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:21 pm

Thanks for cleaning this up and posting it. I thought it was a lot of fun! Thank you to both of you for jumping in and engaging with me, it was way more dynamic than I was expecting.

The Tower guard mob responding was hilarious and on-point!

Kordin

Re: An Acolyte visits Tar Valon

Post by Kordin » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm

Asriel wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:21 pm
Thanks for cleaning this up and posting it. I thought it was a lot of fun! Thank you to both of you for jumping in and engaging with me, it was way more dynamic than I was expecting.

The Tower guard mob responding was hilarious and on-point!
Anytime! And kudos for the RP, was refreshing and very well done :)