A First Timer Seeking the Guard

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Rynel

A First Timer Seeking the Guard

Post by Rynel » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:07 pm

Note: I've already shared this with a member of the Qeen's Guard and am currently an applicant, however I wanted to share this for RP purposes, because it provides some of the origin for Rynel, and I had a lot of fun writing it! :mrgreen:

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the third age by some, an Age yet to come, an age long pass, a wind blew over the dawn lit rooftops of Caemlyn dropping snow in crystalline mounds. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

On the road to Caemlyn a man trekked with paper in hand, his application to join the Queen’s guard. At 18 years old he was still young by all accounts, however his eyes told a different story. In his eyes were the fires of honor and justice. Growing up he’d learned the sword from his father who had learned from his father before him. He had no family name to claim anymore, but stories of his ancestors passed down demonstrated valor in battle and bravery fighting against the shadow. Stories of the once great people, the Malkieri.

Now those people are a remnant, of which Rynel is but one. In the diaspora his family-line made its way to a small village on the outskirts of Andor. His father makes an honest living as a blacksmith and his mother a seamstress, but village life was not enough for Rynel. Rynel dreamed of adventure and attaining swordsmanship to the level of a blademaster. Even on the edges of Andor, the Queen’s guard had a strong presence in upholding the law under the leadership of Captain-General Gareth Bryne. Rynel could think of no one better to learn from than someone who is one of the Five Great Captains, one of the finest generals in the Westlands, as well as a veteran blademaster.

Coming closer to the city, Rynel saw a man who stood watching the throng of people pass by. A tall, lean, and darkly-tanned man who gazes about him with dark blue eyes, a wicked grin constantly splitting his face. Gnarled, knobby knuckles crack as he flexes his muscular hands on his old, worn quarterstaff. Upon drawing near, the man stepped forward poking Rynel in the ribs. “You look like a young adventurer in need of some work. If you want to go on a quest, just "say quest"!' Additionally, if you are relatively new to Caemlyn, I suggest you "say tips". I must say, I am a wealth of information! My name is Clive!' said Clive with more than just a touch of bravado.

Rynel responded “I’ll ignore you poking me, but I’m looking for the headquarters of the Queen’s Guard.”

“Ah yes the Lion Wardens, commonly known today as the Queen’s Guard.” Clive takes a long look at Rynel. “I’ve seen your type before. Adventurers and outright newbies to say the least. Before you submit that application you’re holding there, go southwest of here and bring me the scalp of a stag. You may want to learn how to ride a horse as well. You have to at least know the basics before you join. If you can do that you just may be able to follow in the footsteps of other Guards I’ve pupiled” Clive begins to list out names on his fingers. “Adael, Raal, Geoff, Mhaliah, and Carlia all started off in shoes similar to yours.”

*equipment*

Rynel looks down at his feet. “They were wearing worn leather shoes?”
With a sigh and roll of the eyes Clive says “Intelligence isn’t your strong suit I see. Judging by those arms and physique the pattern probably churned out yet another pre-rolled would-be warrior. No matter! The wheel weaves as the wheel wills, off you get!”

Totally bewildered and unsure of why he was doing as this strange man said, Rynel turned from the city and headed southwest in search of a stag. He’d had some practice in basic survival skills and riding already so finding a stag shouldn’t be that difficult.

Due southwest, Rynel could hear the din of battle. Preparing to move into the next area Rynel prepared himself for what sounded like a bloodbath the likes of stories from the Age of Legends. Rounding the corner of the road, Rynel gasped at what he saw:

Grassy Trail
A narrow trail has been pushed through the span high grass, weeds and
wildflowers covering dales left by rising hills in all directions. Wild
swaying and rustlings in the grass point out the travel of small animals
scampering about the hills. Here and there on the hills, centuries old oak
trees wave their branches in the breezes.
[ obvious exits: N E W ]
Zone: Hills of Kintara
The corpse of a young leatherleaf lies on the ground [4,846]
A handsome stag stands here, ready to run.
A young leatherleaf begins to thicken with age.
A young leatherleaf begins to thicken with age.
XxXDrgnRebrnXxX stands next to a massive pile of corpses in fervent combat with a young leatherleaf

Stumbling forward Rynel could hear a man screaming as he swung his blade.

“Reroll 1,892; this is the one!”

As the tree sapling fell to the onslaught of XxXDrgnRebrnXxX, the man cried out “stats!” “Gdit, 18 8 10 13 14, back to the grind!” the air seemed to shift like the pattern itself was altering and he threw himself at the next sapling somehow looking weaker than he did just a moment prior.

Choking on the dust from disintegrating corpses and turning from the genocide occurring nearby; Rynel killed the stag, butchered the corpse, and took it’s scalp. “Time to head back to Clive” Rynel said with a sigh.

Rynel made his way through the Hills of Kintara eventually getting back to the main road towards Caemlyn. Rynel approaches Clive.

“You look like a young adventurer in need of some work…”

Before Clive can finish, Rynel hurriedly interrupts “Give Clive scalp”. *Nothing happens*

“Give scallp Clive”. *You can only give things you ACTUALLY have*.

Annoyed, Rynel shouts “Give scalp Clive”.

With the correct syntax being utilized, Clive lights up and responds.

“So you managed to get a stag scalp! Perhaps you can find your way and become a member of the Queen's Guard after all!”

Rynel interjects, “So you’ll tell me where their office is and who to give my application to?”

Nonplussed Clive says “Yes, yes, no need to be hasty as the Ogier would say.” Hand scratching his beard Clive continues.
“You’ll head into the city and find the central square where the herald is. Usually you’ll find various members of the guard there who will be more than happy to help you get your feet under you in this world. For the application, send it via mail to Adael. He’s a veteran of the guard and will get you taken care of.”

With a new task and actually clear direction, Rynel begins walking north, the words of his application reverberating in his head.
Light illumine you guardsman,
My name is Rynel, with this application I hereby proclaim the desire to join the Queen’s Guard organization for the defense of our Queen Morgase, the city of Caemlyn, and all of Andor. I want to become a guardsman due to the honorable goal of the position and an understanding that it is a place where I can continue to hone my skills in the fight against the shadow. I believe we are at war and that the sovereign nation of Andor is a bastion of light against the dark. I believe I am qualified for this position as I’ve attained skills in 2-handed longblades, bash, notice, survival, lock picking, search, ride, and a few other things. I believe with continued training and development I’ll be an asset to the guard in defending our Queen, expelling Darkfriends and Shadowspawn from our nation, and preparing to join Her Majesty’s Army when the Last Battle comes. I’m ready.

With each step Rynel grew more and more determined without any kind of fear. He needed to learn from the best and he knew this was where the pattern was leading him in order to prepare him for the dangers to come not just to his life but the world. This is his duty and is what drives him on. As his father always said, death is lighter than a feather, but duty is heavier than a mountain.

Jenda

Re: A First Timer Seeking the Guard

Post by Jenda » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:29 pm

Nice read :)