The Maiden of House Romee: Part 1 --- &RPaward

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Fuujin

The Maiden of House Romee: Part 1 --- &RPaward

Post by Fuujin » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:36 pm

Template to use when awarding stories/ other entries:

Ely edit 6 Nov 2021:

1-6 qps, depending on length and quality.

Potential +1 qp: if part of a series: o

Total: 2 qps

Fuujin leaned over the railing of the third story balcony overlooking the manor grounds. By now most of the work had been completed and only a few laborers remained to put the finishing touches on her new home. Servants scurried about inside putting up decorations and getting all the rooms just right. Although her home was built with all the trappings of a fortress, with barracks and guard towers, it was also a place to receive important guests and so everything needed to be just right.

She looked towards the southeast, knowing that far in the distance stood Mayene, and smiled. Memories of battles and politicking against the Winged Guards flashed before her eyes and she longed for the days when she could join the fray once more. As her mind wandered, reminiscing of victories past, she noticed the sounds of footsteps approaching and turned to face them. Defender Brock, her trusted subordinate approached with the stone-cold seriousness that always sat upon his face.

"Lieutenant Fuujin," he saluted.

"Defender," she spoke, returning the salute, "What news do you bring?"

"My lady, we have received word from all of the noble families here in Godan. All but one will be attending tonight's party. Two of the Lords will not be attending in person themselves, claiming business elsewhere, but they are sending their eldest children in their place. Several of the more distinguished merchants will be attending too. We should expect the first of our guests to arrive in an hour, though I wouldn't be surprised if some came early."

"I see. Thank you, Brock. Please make sure my attire is ready and send a servant in to help me get dressed. I'll leave it to you to inspect the soldiers on duty. We will be under intense scrutiny tonight and I expect the absolute best from them tonight."

"Yes ma'am. Will there be anything else?"

"Not for now. You may go."

With a sharp salute he retreated the room as Fuujin followed him into the bedroom. Moments after he left a knock came at the door.

"Come in."

The servant she had sent for gingerly peeked through the door she slowly opened, before fully stepping inside, her head stooped.

"My lady, how may I be of assistance."

Fuujin examined the young woman. If she had to wager a guess, she would place the girl in her twenties. Many would have said her dimpled face ever so plump, and wide eyes, was cute, if not pretty. But there was something in those green eyes...

"You'll forgive me if I don't remember your name..." Fuujin paused waiting for a response.

"There is nothing to forgive, my lady. I am Aliss."

"Ah yes. You're one of those ones we hired at the start of this project, no?" Fuujin asked and Aliss nodded. "So far I am quite impressed with everyone's work. I must thank you for helping prepare for this day."

Aliss offered a curtsy, "Please, my lady, it is a pleasure to serve. There are many above my station that did much more important work than I. I do not..." Fuujin cut her off with a raised hand.

"Humility is great, but you all worked as part of a team. Accept the praise, it is heartfelt."

"Thank you, my lady."

"Another thing: Within this room I would prefer it if you would relax. Stow the formalities here. This room is my sanctuary, and I would like to be able to relax."

"Yes my..." Aliss began before being cut off once more.

"My name is Fuujin."

Aliss nodded, "Fuujin. How may I be of assistance?"

"There's a dress in my wardrobe. I will need your help with getting it on. Do you know your way around powders and makeup?" Aliss nodded in agreement. "Good, I've never had cause to bother with it until today. I will need your help."

"Yes m...Fuujin." Aliss approached the wardrobe expecting to have to ask 'Which dress?' but there was only one article of clothing in there that fit that description. Pulling it out, she turned to face Fuujin and found her undressing.

"Would you like help with that, Fuujin?"

"Maybe one day I will be so incapable of doing it myself, but at least allow me this," she declared while stripping the remaining bits of her dress uniform off, leaving each piece atop her bed. She beckoned the girl over, who approached promptly.

Up close, Aliss could see the faint scars which crisscrossed across Fuujin's body. She couldn't help herself as she reached out to run a finger across a particularly bold scar, stopping when Fuujin let out a soft gasp. She withdrew her hand sharp, "I'm sorry, my lady! I didn't mean to!"

Fuujin cut her a sharp look, "It's Fuujin. And you're fine. It's just been a long time since I received a gentle touch. Took me by surprise, that's all. You're going to have to get over your shyness if you're going to help me dress."

As Aliss helped Fuujin, curiosity overtook her, "Do they hurt?"

"Only when I'm asked silly questions." Aliss blushed a bright red before Fuujin continued with a laugh, "I'm joking. No, they don't. Not anymore. Earning them did though."

"They're pretty," Aliss offered, causing Fuujin to laugh and Aliss to blush again.

"I've heard a lot of things said about me, but nobody has ever put 'pretty' and I together. Except maybe, 'Fuujin is a pretty big pain in the ass!'" Fuujin continued to chuckle.

"Have you no suitors? Certainly, someone's said as much to you before."

"Nay. If anybody was so foolish, I would have scared them off myself. In the Borderlands a martial lady might be respected and desired, but down in the Southlands people prefer a softer kind. And I've never found myself wanting the company of a man outside of a battle. No, I have no suitors and I much prefer it that way." Aliss nodded as she finished helping Fuujin into her dress.

Fuujin moved to stand before a large full length mirror to examine her attire. She wore an emerald green ballgown that tied up over her right shoulder, leaving her left exposed. Around her waist she wore a chain with silver lilies, a symbol of House Romee, placed evenly around. Her left hand bore the black diamond signet issued to senior officers of the Defenders of the Stone and earrings bearing the triple crescents of Tear hung from her ears.

"You look lovely, Fuujin."

She smirked, "I'll take your word for it, Aliss." Fuujin took a seat at the vanity next to the mirror and motioned for Aliss to approach. A horn sounded from the manor grounds announcing the arrival of the first of the guests. "Pay that no mind and take your time. I plan on making an entrance."

"Of course."

"And not too much, please."

"As you wish." Aliss looked over the various supplies laid out across the desk, rouges and blushes the kind she could never have afforded. "If you will look at me..." and Fuujin turned to face her. Aliss's gaze lingered for a moment before she got to work.

"You were born here in Godan, weren't you?"

"Aye, I've been here my whole life. I've worked in many of the manor's here."

"So, I take it you know some things about the Houses here." Aliss responded with a nod as she applied makeup to Fuujin's face. "What can I expect from them tonight? Any snakes in the grass I should watch out for?"

Aliss's eyes lit up and once more she held Fuujin's gaze, appraising her carefully. "It wouldn't be proper for me to gossip about things I learned while working there..."

"I'm not asking you to share secrets that you don't wish to. But anything you're willing to share that might be useful would be appreciated."

Aliss nodded and began chatting as she set about to brush Fuujin's hair. The sound of horns announcing more guests came with more frequency as they finished getting ready. Aliss tied Fuujin's hair in a ponytail, which hung down her bare shoulder, "All finished. You look amazing."

Fuujin smirked, looking at the mirror. "You've given me more compliments today than I've received since I was a young girl. Thank you." She reached over to grab the jewelry box that sat on the vanity and opened it, revealing a number of eye-patches, each bejeweled and colored differently. She took off the golden patch that she wore and replaced it with a ruby red one, adorned with diamonds. She regarded herself in the mirror for a moment longer before moving to stand.

"Are your ears pierced, Aliss?"

"They are."

"Then take a pair of these. I would like it if you accompanied me tonight, I could use your knowledge and your eyes tonight. I'm sure this will be an easier task than whatever Master Lefner would set you about." Fuujin opened a draw and pulled out a pair of silver lily earrings. "Here, let me help you." She turned and leaned in to help affix the earrings to Aliss's ears, a faint blush appearing across the maid's face.

"Thank you, Fuujin, I will do my best to be off assistance."

"I'm certain you will. Though I'm sure you don't need reminding, but we've got airs to keep up while out there. Be careful to mind your manners. There's little I could do protect you from Master Lefner's wrath if he heard you were disrespectful."

"Of course."

"My sword is on my bed, will you grab it?"

Aliss hesitated for a moment before retrieving it and bringing it back. "Do you think you'll need it?"

"I sure hope not, but it will serve to remind these nobles who and what I am." She slung the ruby-encrusted sheath around her back, the decadence of which complimenting her formal attire. "Come now."

As Fuujin and Aliss descended the stairs towards the main entrance of the manor they caught the attention of Master Lefner who quickly retrieved the herald. Fuujin straightened her back, taking a quick look behind her where Aliss stood. "Here we go."

A few loud notes on the trumpet silenced the din of noise emanating from the foyer as the guests turned towards its source. "Now arriving: Lady Fuujin Oaks of House Romee, Lieutenant of the Defenders of the Stone, Protector of Godan." Fuujin descended with measured steps, carefully regarding all the guests below her as she neared the bottom of the stairs, Aliss staying precisely three steps behind her.

Stopping a few steps from the bottom, she spoke to the crowd, "Lords and Ladies, honored and distinguished guests...It is with great pleasure that I and all of House Romee could welcome you into our home. Master Lefner? If you would be so kind as to open the ballroom, we may all move there and let the party commence."

Polite clapping answered her speech as Master Lefner, sweating from the heat and stress quickly moved to unlock the ballroom doors and swing them open. Fuujin waited until the last of the guests began to make their way through the door. Taking one last glance at Aliss, she too followed the crowd.