Call for help for writing a Roleplay Tutorial

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Elysia

Call for help for writing a Roleplay Tutorial

Post by Elysia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:34 am

Some people keep calling themselves bad rpers, some don't know where to start. I figure, let's give people a little help, so they can start to dabble.

I want to make a comprehensive guide, all the way from the basics, to more advanced tips and tricks. Things that should absolutely be in it:
  • character separation, where if you see someone channel on your fc but your Child of Light shouldn't go and warrant based on that
  • changing the way your character speaks with an alias, like: Bobby speaks in a deep voice
  • custom socials, like: Sally smiles, flashing white teeth
  • Quirks, like Indiana Jones' fear of snakes. Or Flarn's love of pie
  • I'm open to more suggestions, or volunteers to help with this!

Jenda

Re: Call for help for writing a Roleplay Tutorial

Post by Jenda » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:36 pm

I wrote a pretty in depth guide to RP and etiquette ages ago, Elysia. I'd be willing to help. I'll DM.

edit: it was on old forums :( but i'll try to reproduce it, augmented with the shiny wisdom of age I've acquired since then.

Racquel

Post by Racquel » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:42 am

You right it, and I'll correct it ;)

isabel

Post by isabel » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:14 am

I did some very brief googling since I'm lazy and I assume that in 2021 there would be great roleplay guides already in place we could use and/or adapt- this was one that came up

https://www.level1geek.com/how-to-rolep ... character/

Most muds do seem to have a link to roleplay tips.

My main suggestion would be to have a 10-dos-and-donts kind of 10-second read brief version along with the comprehensive one you're planning. I nominate Razhak to write that, with a dark side player in mind :twisted:

p.s - on a side note, elysia you are doing such a fantastic job of reviving RP on here! I just saw the awarded Rp qps on the roleplay forums and was blown away by the effort.

Siro

Post by Siro » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:56 am

*cough* Yes, Elysia has also done a fantastic job.

Artal

Post by Artal » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:05 pm

Very good idea, and I like the looking about you did Isabel.

One note from previous RP I did (Years and years ago on a now gone character)

Let the people you are rping with through tells or perhaps another means know where the RP is going. Don't just let it fly and hope it goes where you want it to if its a log. That is how someone heals you for sheep herpes.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:14 pm

Yeah, there are so many things that can be said about rp. Not just the technical side of emotes, says, socials and not forcing other people's actions.

But also, how to get started and build out for those who aren't as familiar with it. They don't have to turn into fully fledged rpers who invent great things, but even if they are consistent in how their character acts, that'd elevate many simple interactions, I think.

Starting with a background, like being from a certain nation or area and your parents being poor/rich/middle class, grew up in a city or not. Whether your character is educated enough to know the Old Tongue or not. Do they trust Aes Sedai, like Borderlanders are more inclined to do, or are they more suspicious.

Even just someone going "I'm not a morning person" when something happens at "The day has begun" with some frequency, or someone fiercely missing "Ed" their old horse, every so often.

I think a list of basic considerations and one or two consistent mannerisms would go a long way for those who are just overwhelmed.

Artal

Post by Artal » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:18 pm

True, so very true. Willing to assist in any way with this. Perhaps take some time over the next few days writing up some basics and ideas. Working on next story beginning tonight.

Trouse

Post by Trouse » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:50 pm

What can I do to help?

Racquel

Post by Racquel » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:54 am

Tips on parsing a log:

1. I don't use the rp lizer. But that's a good start.
2. Tidying logs is 90% preparing them BEFORE the rp begins.
3. Start by turning globals off (to remove the need to remove chatter later).
4. Turn echo OFF (so you only have 1 line to edit for each emote/says/etc. instead of 2).
5. Turn prompt OFF (so you're not removing your hps/mvs from each command).
6. After your log, ctrl+replace all says ' with yourcharactername says '
7. ctrl+replace all emote with yourcharacter name.
8. ctrl+replace all Ok. with (nothing).
9. Do steps 6-8 in that order.
10. Go through and remove all the extra line spaces/random extra irrelevant spam, fix any spelling mistakes and remove all the hungry/thirsty and sun up/down messages (some of those could be ctrl+replace with nothing if that's better for you.