Recalled to service --- &RPaward

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Magius

Recalled to service --- &RPaward

Post by Magius » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:37 am

Ely edit 31 Jul 2021:

1-6 qps, depending on length and quality.

Potential +1 qp: if part of a series: o

Total: 1 qps, for the first part.

Red sparks flew from hammer and anvil as he shaped the hot steel. The horseshoe in the blacksmith’s hands was crooked and longer on one side than the other but he continued to beat at it in an attempt to straighten it out. Many unserviceable pieces of metal that the blacksmith claimed were finished products hung on the walls and laid piled in stacks around the forge waiting to be sold. Time for a little break he thought to himself wiping sweat from his brow. A roofed porch ran across the front of the forge and would provide some shade and maybe if he was lucky a breeze. Walking out on to the porch was an instant relief from the heat of the forge and the blacksmith plopped down in to a stout rocking chair to rest.

Sitting there on the porch it was cooler than in the forge but still the hottest summer he remembered. A horse and rider were coming down the lane towards his house but no other life stirred in the sweltering heat. Just another traveler on the road but possibly a new customer he thought, as the horse neared he changed his mind. The red roan steed stopped at a hitching post near the porch where the rider quickly dismounted and tied off the large animal. The rider was a clean shaven young man with a military look about him wearing standard traveling clothes. The only things that stood out was the shadowy silver-lined cape bearing a golden fist fastened about his neck and the arsenal of weapons attached to the horses saddle and his belt.

I’m looking for Magius Karr and was told he would be here the soldier announced as if he were speaking to a group instead of a middle aged man alone in a rocking chair. "I am him what can i do for you sir" Magius said warily as he rose to his feet and crossed the porch. "I’m here to deliver a letter nothing more” said the soldier. Magius extended his hand and the soldier produced an envelope of heavy white parchment that had a large blob of melted yellow wax sealing it closed. Handing the letter to Magius the soldier bowed and pivoted on the heel of his boot starting towards the horse without saying another word.

Magius stood at the edge of the porch watching the soldier of the Wall Guard mount his horse and ride away. Frowning at the letter in his hand he sighed then broke the seal with his right thumb and took out the letter. Reading quickly he saw instructions and orders at the bottom the letter was signed by his old friend Uren. After all these years I have been called back to the service of Far Madding, why now he though. “why now” he whispered in the heat of the empty forge.

To be continued....

Siro

Re: Recalled to service

Post by Siro » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:45 am

Thanks for putting in the time to write this. Enjoy a return-to-service qp.

Ominas

Re: Recalled to service

Post by Ominas » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:48 pm

Welcome home. Nice post