Beginnings --- &Rpaward

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Artal

Beginnings --- &Rpaward

Post by Artal » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:20 pm

Ely edit 30 Jul 2021:

1-6 qps, depending on length and quality.

Potential +1 qp: if part of a series: x

Total: 11 qps

Running as fast as his feet would will him, he ran along the stream his spear in hand. Spinning it about and grunting out a fierce battle cry he charged forward, directly toward his foe! The other boy ran toward him doing much the same, and they collided beneath the old oak tree with a loud crack of the weapons meeting. He darted around the smaller boy as the other boy brought his weapon down in a straight arch, trying to split him in half. Turning and regaining his footing he thrusted his spear forward, only to be parried aside easily. Pushing forward he drew it back and brought around in a wide slash. The foe ducked beneath and came forward with a thrust of his own, which he darted to the right and nearly stepped into the rushing waters. Both danced back and forth a few more times before he broke off and moved away slightly. Bringing his spear up and gripping it with both hands. Squinting his eyes and casting his gaze at his now still opponent they both circled one another. Wind blew, and his hair fluttered back, sweat beading down his forehead from the efforts. Stillness once more, as both stood opposite one another. Time stopped, and he waited. Watched. Birds broke forth from the trees, as if to signal it. And both dashed forward once more, battle cries ringing through the wood sending birds from the canopy. Crossing the ground they both let loose their battle cries and they clashed. The crack of the spears meeting echoed off through the wood, before he spun and saw the sky above, his footing had failed him. Landing with a grunt he tried to roll but met the ground too hard. Beside him he heard a similar grunt and cast his eyes over at his friend, who was now face first into the stream. Laughter burst from him before he could even stand to try and see if he was alright. Standing, he cast his cracked stick aside, and moved quickly toward the stream where Izaak was now pushing himself up and angrily making noises as he rose.

"Hah, I am sorry but that is funny. Are you alright though?" Artal asked as he neared the other boy, stifling the laughter long enough to put on a serious face. The angry face that turned toward him softened in just moments, before a smile broke from ear to ear. Wavy short length hair fell to ears, brown eyes staring up at him from the slightly rounded childlike face.

"Good enough, but did ya have ta trip me?" Sarcasm oozed off the other boy's words, which made him laugh again. Extending an arm he help hoist the smaller boy up. "Thanks, I heard you grunt, did I getcha?" Now said as he was looking about trying to relocate his own stick. It lay a few feet away, lost in the tangle perhaps.

"No, I think we managed to get tangled up and both hit the ground harder than we could each other." Smiling as he stated it, the other scoffed slightly and bound forward to reclaim his fallen 'Spear.'

"Is okay, next time I'll definitely getcha." Determination filled his friends voice, and he did not think he wouldn't but he laughed despite it. Moving back to claim his own that he dropped. It was a long sad looking thing now, cracked and broken at a bad angle near the top. Would need to find a new one, he thought as he turned back toward his friend.

"Maybe, or maybe I will get you!" Exclaimed with a smile as he pulled it back up and twirled it about, before the broken end flew off into the brush with a sad whistle as it flew off. The brown haired boy just laughed at the display.

"Not with that you won't. We will have to find a new one for you." And he bound off before a response could be given. Off into the brush toward the path back to the farm. With a sigh he ran forward, over the grass and through the brush beside the trees at the edge of the path. It would lead to Coron Ford, off in the north away from the farms. His family grew all sort of vegetables and raised pigs, and Izaak's family lived on a farm near theirs. South curving through the path he moved, the other boy barely in sight. But standing still. As he drew close he could see a look on the other's face, worry?

"Hey, why you standing still. Thought we were getting me another spear." Half yelled as he drew in close, only to see what his friend was gazing at. The house was on fire. Through the tree line and in the distance, past the pens smoke billowed off his house, flames dancing in the wind enveloping everything. Screams filled the air. And he saw his mother, a knife in hand running around the house. They both moved at once, sticks in hand. Off through the tree line and near the pens. They would need to be fast. Whatever was chasing mother would not wait long.

"Artal NO!" She screamed at the top of her lungs, stopping him in his tracks. Looking forward he saw her again, blood streaked her face. She had blood all down her dress and around the house several men were walking slowly. Stalking her as she moved. Limped. "Turn, run now!" She screamed again. Izaak was just before him then. And he went to grab his shoulder, but the other boy darted forward. "Izaak no! Run Izaak!" But there was no stopping him. And he could not move. He was frozen in place. Several more men were coming from the other side of the building. Filthy, angry looking men despite the smiles on their faces. Mother had no where to run. Where was father?

"Run ma!" He yelled, and all eyes looked to him now. "Please!" He screamed out, tears beginning to flow down his cheeks. Izaak was now nearly upon the first group, stick twirling as the men laughed and moved apart from one another just a bit. He spun and darted toward the first, and was met with a backhand which slung him down toward the ground in a heap.

"NO!" He heard his mother scream, and knife up she lunged forward back toward her pursuers. Shock filled him. Tears continued to flow, and a horrible groan left his body he did not know he was able to make. The metal protruded from her back, slick with red as she slumped down against the filthy man. Who laughed and slung her off his twisted blade onto the ground.

He wanted to scream, wanted to run forward. Wanted to bring his spear up high and fight them off. But she was already on the ground, and Izaak was already down as well. And his spear was broken. The crunch of leaves, and he turned just in time to see the unwashed face of one of the men not even five feet from him. Sword up and moving right at him now. 'Move!' He willed his feet. 'Please go!' He urged himself. And right as the man was upon him they responded. Spinning the stick up with a scream it caught the brute in the face with a loud crack, snapping once more. And he fled, tears trailing him as he ran. As fast as he could he ran. Not north, and not south. He was afraid they would find him. He ran east, into the woods. Toward the old oak he ran, but he did not stop. Through the stream he bounded, and off to the other side up and into the tree line. Shouts ringing out behind him of 'Catch him' and 'Do not let him get away!' But he did not stop. Over rock and past brush he ran. His lungs hurt as he moved, but he dared not stop. Tears flowing all the while, and making it so hard to breath. His vision blurry with them.

Hours seemed to pass, and finally he collapsed. Beneath a tall tree and surround by brush he fell, and curled his knees up against his chest and wailed. "Mother." Broke free from him, despite his best efforts to keep from calling out anything. Fearful they still crept the woods after him. Slung aside like rubbish. And Izaak. He left Izaak. More wails broke free. His breathing raged out of control, and he could hardly suck in air. Between the sobbing and trying to get a grasp on what he saw he stared up at the darkening sky through blurred vision. Sucking in air he shut his eyes, and tried to forget what he saw. It was just a nightmare, it would end. He just needed to wake up. Please let it be over when he woke up. Curled up beneath the tree he calmed himself, caught his breath, and kept his eyes pinched shut. Fearful of what would be there when he opened them once more.

Eyes opened, and were met with dim moonlight filtering in through the canopy, and a soft crackling sound coming from nearby. Pulling his hand up to rub at his eyes he felt something slip off from atop him. And gripped at a rugged cloth. A woolen blanket, but not his. Sitting up directly in front of the tree he looked around and caught eyes with a man. Watching him from a fire, crackling nearby a he sat, watching him curiously. Eyes locked on him, green of color and gleaming in the light of the fire the man wore a simple cloak and simple clothing, with a horn fastened to hip on his belt. Quickly shifting he went to stand.

"Easy now, easy lad. You been out for hours." The man spoke quickly, arms up palms showing. His voice was soft, but he could be one of them.

"Are you with them?" He spat out angrily. Standing up and looking for a direction to run. The man was in the path he had been running. He would need to cut north, or south to get away.

"I don't know who them is boy, but I assure you I am with no one." Said as the man sat back and eased himself to rest against his hands now placed behind him into the crushed grass. Fire flickered and danced in front of him, and something smelled good.

"The bad men, they." Broke off, and the weight of everything came back to him. Tears began again without being able to stop, and he crumpled back down onto the ground. "Mother." Broke free between horrible groans that came out of him. He wanted to stop, he wanted to be stronger.

"Now lad, shh." The man said as he rose. Moving around the fire he was large. Bigger than father. As he inched back away from the man as his hands extended down toward him the man froze, only for a moment. Before gripping the blanket and tugging it back up on him. He did not move, dared not. "It is ok, whoever these bad men are they were not following you. They might have been at one point but you lost em. You went flying by me half a day ago, so I followed your tracks." The man said as he moved back away and went toward the source of the smell. A rabbit spitted on a stick resting at an angle at the far side of the fire. Tears welled, but slowed.

"How do I know? That your not one of em." Shot forth defiantly he watched, as the man eased himself down again casting those green eyes back toward him.

"Lad, if I was one of these 'bad men' would I follow you, find you and cover you while making a fire? Catching a rabbit so you've something to eat and watching over you while you rested?" Stated matter of fact, it made sense. But maybe it was a trick?

"I dunno. Never seen them before, and now everyone's gone. Never seen you either." Again, shot forth with a little edge to his words. Which drew a deep sigh from the man. Which lasted only a few moments before he grew silent again. Artal shifted beneath the blanket, pressed up against the tree.

"Lad, im sorry. I don't know who they are or why they did what they did. My name is Tenil, and I am a hunter of the horn. We travel the land trying to find the fabled Horn of Valere. Came over from Baerlon, was heading off toward Bandar Eban, you came flying by in the woods, heard you wailing as you went so I followed. Not much else I can say to make you believe me. But if I was one of em. I wouldn't put all the effort into looking over you, nor would I get a meal going so you have something to eat." Arms crossed the broad chest of the man now as he watched.

Artal watched the man as he sat there. Doing nothing. It made sense, he didn't harm him. He covered him and started a fire and had food cooking. Which must have triggered something as the man sat forward and pulled at the stick with the skewered hare. Pinching at it and pulling at it he gave a noise of approval before tearing a chunk off and tossing it onto his pack which rested beside him. The crackling of the flames the only noise for the next several minutes as the man sat there eyeing him.

"Well? You hungry or what?" Does he trust this man? Bobbing his head up and down he stood slowly and moved forward, clutching at the blanket. Moving to the opposite side of the fire but not too close the man passed him the stick with the majority of the hare. "No complaints, I ate earlier and you need it with all the running you did. Eat up." And without awaiting an answer as he took it from him and sat beside the man the large body disappeared partially into the deepening shadows around the tree he rested upon and the sound of eating flowed from them.

"Thank you." Finally uttered, forth. Before he blew on the food several times. Biting into it the grease broke free and ran his chin, but he did not care. Ravenously he tore into it, tearing everything off. The crackle of the flames, and the crickets chirping around him the only noise as he made short work of the meal. Soon enough it was all gone and he cast the stick into the fire. Pulling the sleeve of his shirt he wiped at his face, trying to clean away all the filth.

"Now don't go messing up your shirt worse than it is already lad. Worry about the grime when we wake up. We get moving early. So you will need to rest up again. First though, tell me everything. Tell me what happened and what these men looked like." The shadow crept back up into the light of the fire, and Artal couldn't stop himself. Soon enough, he was telling Tenil everything. It all spilled out, and the tears flowed once more while he did. He would need to become stronger.

Artal

Re: Beginnings

Post by Artal » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:17 pm

Through the woods we travel

Skipping over the rocks he closely followed the man as he picked their path through the old trees. 'East' the man had said they were heading when he asked. Much the same every day, as they all began to flow together. East and eventually north. Moving around the brush as it grew up between the trees he nearly bumped right into Tenil's back but stopped short. The man was kneeling so he moved next to him and did the same.

"What do you see lad." Tenil asked, shooting him a glance. Bobbing his head up and down he stared down directly in front of where they now both knelt. A steaming pile of dung lay before him. Scrunching up his nose he turned back to the man frowning a bit.

"Looks like dung sir." Scrunching his nose again he turned back toward the pile, and stared at it a moment more. Berries mixed with the filth, not entirely digested.

"What can you tell of it boy." A slight annoyance to the man's voice, but not much. With a sigh he wracked his brain over the past days, and all the things the man said as they traveled. Crossing his arms he gave it more thought, berries wouldn't mean a cat, as they did not eat them. A wild pig perhaps? But no, he got excited as the answer came to him.

"Means a bear sir, as they love the berries and search em out right?" Looking up to the man smiling as he gave the answer. A nod followed, accompanying a smile as the other man stood. Pointing slightly ahead.

"And what can you tell about the path we are traveling." He was skipping over the dung and moving slowly ahead before the sentence even finished. Kneeling he looked at the tracks upon the beaten down greenery. In between in the soil itself tracks. Pads with claws showing. Five toes easily seen. Standing up he looked around and found another right near, and up ahead several more.

"Fresh dung, bear tracks and the brush is trampled. We are on an animal trail behind a bear sir?" Asked, more than answered as the realization that a bear was nearby made him nervous.

"Yes, so no more skipping about for now little one. And stay right behind me. We get off the trail and cut through the overgrowth." Stepping passed him the large man stepped over some brush and pulled free his knife, cutting away at some of the tangle before him. Artal stepped forward behind him, carefully stepping past the thorny brush. He got caught in that yesterday and it cut his trousers. Had no more trousers so he needed to not ruin these completely. Slow moving, as he stayed a few steps behind, as the path was cleared as best as Tenil could manage. Soon the knife was back in its sheath and they were stepping around old oaks and crooked pines, winding around and down small hills, back up and seemingly back around in the opposite way.

"Are we still going east Tenil?" Asked quietly, not wanting to draw the bear's attention, the man bobbed his head quickly to answer.

"Yeah, but it will be slow going. Cutting around through the woods like this lad. A few more days before we reach the Two Rivers." The Two Rivers? Artal had heard some talk about it when he went to Coron Ford with ma to sell their crops or get supplies. She could haggle the pants off any merchant, and any coin outta their pocket double what they wanted to pay. Smiling he walked carefully, watching for any more tracks. He saw small signs of squirrel and rabbit, tiny easy to miss tracks or broken over twigs here and there. Things Tenil taught him to look for. Up until recently he had never eaten a squirrel. But he was hungry, and Tenil had caught them easily. So squirrel was on the menu. No vegetables, minus some sprigs of grass and dandelion greens that Tenil showed him. Said they were good eaten. He disagreed, and did not think he would ever miss carrots or turnips. But here he was, in the woods with a stranger eating whatever was put in front of him.

"Hey, snap out of it. Pay attention lad." He heard from ahead, and did not realize he had fallen behind a bit. Moving a little more quickly he caught up, and the man ruffled his hair before stepping forward again. "Lost in thought?" He heard, so he looked toward the back of the man, and moved forward behind him as they continued on through the deep dark wood.

"Yessir. Was thinking of home." Shot out quickly, not holding back. The man listened to whatever he said. Never judged him or corrected him. Just listened, and it was nice.

"Sorry lad, I know its tough." A sad edge to the voice from ahead, whenever he talked of home the man took that tone now. After telling him of what happened that first night, the man said he would take him somewhere safe, far from the bad men.

"Is kay" Answered quickly, before continuing as the man stopped and turned. "Was thinking of good stuff. Ma haggling merchants. The farm. Food." Smiling up at the man, he smiled back and continued on. "I somehow miss carrots. Never thought I'd miss carrots. And my sursa. They were just basic wood ones, but they were mine."

"Never could use those myself when I did make it out that way. Had to give up and use my hands." Tenil shot back from ahead. Giving a short laugh Artal moved slowly on.

"I couldn't either. Took practice. Like seeing these tracks. You showed me how, now I gotta practice." That drew a laugh from Tenil, who stepped around a crooked old oak and moved forward into a clearing and dropping his pack. "Camp sir?" Which drew a quick nod, and a smile from the older man. Artal smiled and dashed into the clearing, moving about trying to locate some good firewood. He liked camp, Tenil would tell him stories. Sometimes of the horn, and other times of the lands they would go and see. Artal loved stories, so he moved quickly, hoping to get a camp up real quick.

Heat caressed his skin as he sat, eyes locked on the man as he sat across him on the other side of the fire. Chewing as quietly as he could manage he listened intently. The man had been going over the story of Jain Farstrider and had grown quiet, but he wanted more.

"That would be about what I remember lad, would need a copy of the book in front of me to remember more." Finally broke the silence as Tenil watched him for a response. Excitedly he clapped several times before gripping the stick once more and pulling his dinner back from the fire. It was a now crispy squirrel, day three of eating the formerly cute little woodland creatures. Now they were food for him.

"So he traveled to all those places?" He asked between bites, curious, as it seemed odd to him someone could go all of those places and he had never seen nothin but Coron Ford until now.

"Aye lad, and wrote about his travels. Read a copy in Cairhien in my stay there years back." Cairhien? Artal couldn't imagine any of these places. Somehow Tenil traveled all over the world too. Cairhien and Arad Doman, Caemlyn and Tar valon and everything in between. He had never even heard of half of the places Tenil got to visit. And Jain went to places Tenil had never been, or probably never would if what he said was true. Tearing off another chunk he held the remainder out to Tenil who took it happily. "Finished?" Rang out from his protector which he nodded quickly to answer.

"Yessir, full." And he rolled over, onto his side and dragged the borrowed blanket up to his chin. Closing his eyes he thought of what the places would look like. Tremalking, and the sea folk. Shara, and the strange people that lived there. Malkier far away that had fallen. His dreams would no doubt be filled with images of places, someday he hoped he could visit.

Towers rose all around him up far into the sky, gleaming brightly in the sun. Striding up the paved lane his cloak flowing behind him he stopped briefly, scanning the docks with his fleet of ships all filled to the brim with goods. Goods he would sail all the sea and make his fortune grow. With a laugh he moved forward, up onto the plank leading onto the Sea Biscuit, the crown jewel of his fleet. And moments later he yelled the command to depart, and off into the waters they flowed. Ships all sailing with the flag blowing in the breeze, emblazoned with the squirrel. His stomach churned, but he ignored it. Seagulls flew over head, shouting out curses as his ships were far too fast. That did not make sense to him. Suddenly his stomach churned again, and made a horrible noise. He jolted.

Rubbing his eyes he cast the blanket aside quickly, and departed from camp into the woods. Sunlight was peaking through the trees, but this could not wait. His stomach was disagreeing with his late night meals. Today would hopefully not continue like this.

"Be quick about it lad, we move soon. First light is up." And Artal groaned, he wanted to finish the weird dream he was having. Hopefully this time his ships would have better symbols than squirrels.

Artal

Post by Artal » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:03 pm

Sweat dripped down his forehead, and everything ached. He still followed but it was very slow going. The whole day had been awful. Filled with stops to relieve himself and he even threw up what remained in his stomach several times, the last time it was just a smoky liquid tinged with yellow. Now Tenil kept a slow pace and looked back often. Stopping to give him water over and over. He just wanted sleep. But that would need to wait until they made camp, he needed to keep moving. Needed to get stronger. Left foot forward, right foot forward. Over and over, keeping his rhythm kept his mind off how badly it was pounding. And how empty his insides felt now.

"Lad, almost to the road. We can be to a town before days end. Can you keep at it or should we stop?" Concern rang through the man's voice as he asked it, but Artal didn't want to attempt an answer, fearful he would sick up more of that vile liquid. So he just bobbed his head up and down, and kept moving his feet forward. "Alright, but if you want to stop we can. We are not in a race." But the look the man cast back at him, his green eyes furrowed in the corner as he looked at him, told him otherwise. They simply kept moving. More quietly than most days, as he was usually full of questions. But today all he wanted was rest, and a town sounded nice. Maybe someone nice would let him sleep in a bed. Maybe have some real food instead of squirrels. The breaking of twigs up ahead brought his attention from within and he saw Tenil pushing through some brush, stomping it down and holding branches up. Stepping passed and over the trampeled brush he stepped out onto a dirt roadway. Looking over his shoulder the man came up beside him and put a hand to his head, ruffling his hair.

"Sir, almost?" He dared to ask it, and his stomach roiled again. 'Not Now!' he scolded himself. Wanting nothing more than to curl up right there and sleep.

"No lad, got a good march up the roadway before we reach Taren Ferry. But we will make it before dark, mark my word." The man seemed sure enough, so he just drew his first step forward, onto the pathway. Left, and then right. Forward again. "Good lad, we will be." And all words turned to a blur, the world turned to a blur. His eyes could not focus, and everything became foggy. Muted noises filled the air around him, like he was in the stream and Izaak was saying something. Or his mother was yelling for him. Eyes became heavier by the moment, and darkness overcame him.

Dreams came and went, parts remembered. Vague memories of running about on the farm, of helping his parents on the farm. Of prodding Gus forward with the plow. Of sailing ships, far and wide. Of animals from the stories, large hulking creatures with horns at the front of their face. Of large cats with stripes. All would come and go often, changing without any sense to be made. Some he would see a woman, an old woman standing over him, pouring something, before the dreams would drift back and forth once more. More noises, muffled like before. Like when the world spun and lurched. Repeated, over and over he heard them. Before blackness erupted once more, and he was back aboard the ship. Sailing upon a sea of purple water, waves lurching higher than his ship, one ship this time. Up and up they rose, and his ship lurched up the waves to the very peak, before reaching the other side and dropping down and down and down, until it hit the ground itself, deep beneath the waves. The noises, muffled roared around him, as he stood upon the ship looking around. Nothing to be seen, no one else aboard. Stepping forward he stood at the rails, and watched, as fish swam up the ever growing wave that grew all around the ship. They stopped to scan him, and with their mouths opening more muffled noises. His thrust a hand up, it took all of his effort, and as it rose to a level with the fish they disappeared again. Off into the purple wave, off away from sight. Alone, he moved away from the rail and sat, in the center of the ship. Lightning cracked across the sky, but no thunder. No sound. Not even the muffled noises that had been drifting in and out. Pulling his knees to his chest he just watched, as again and again it crossed the sky in all directions. Casting itself against the waves that rose all around the ship. He opened his mouth to shout, but no sound came out. Nothing, he screamed as loudly as he could for mother, but again. Nothing. Dropping his head he put arms over and cradled his face against his knees. No sounds, nothing save the darkness now. He tried to cry, but nothing came forth. He felt as if he should be crying, as if he was. But nothing came forth, no tears, and no sound. Anger welled up, and he shot to his feet. Opening his mouth out now and trying to let out the loudest noise he could. Nothing, nothing at all. Lightning cracked the sky and struck a wave. And with it an angry cry, like the one he tried to let out followed, and the waves tumbled. All of the water cascading down around him, and the world spun and spun.

Coughing he came to, spitting up liquid and struggling against whatever held him down. The sound of something dragging across a floor and voices suddenly around him.

"Lad lad, down. Calm down." The voice familiar, but his vision was still blurry. He tried to wipe at his eyes, but his arms were held. He tried to speak, but realized he was crying out.

"He needs to drink it, he needs to stay still and drink more of this or the sickness will not pass." He heard a voice not familiar. Crying he lay back and stopped struggling. Stopped fighting against what held him down.

"Good, good lad, now drink up. It will help, she is trying to help you. Please stay still and drink up." The voice continued, but he heard nothing more. Something clutched at his jaw and tugged, opening it slightly. A foul liquid tasting of earth filled his mouth and he swallowed. Again and again more of the liquid flowed, and each time he choked it down. Until finally, the world spun a little less, and his eyes grew heavy. Back, down into the deep below the waves he drifted. Drifted away from everything.

Artal

Post by Artal » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Time had drifted by, half in a sleep and half awake. More time than he could place. Weak, and not knowing where he was or what was going on they had went about their days in a blur around him as he lay there, only moved to be cleaned up or fed before he returned swiftly. Until today, where he awakened to the feeling of movement. Jolting up and down at times. So he sat up, in a dark place, and shifted the blanket off himself. Faint light poured in up ahead so with a groan he crawled on hands and knees forward. Forward until he heard voices. Clambering up into the small opening he poked his head forward and was blinded immediately. Covering his face with an arm that felt far too heavy he let loose another groan.

"Ah awake I see. Good good, get some fresh air lad you have been cooped up far too long." The familiar voice rang out, from no where in particular as he tried to adjust his eyes. Lowering his hands but still squinting his eyes he took in the sight around himself. Tenil sat ahead of him beside a larger framed man who was smiling back at him. Up ahead a team of horses were pulling their way. But to where?

"Now thats better, this one has been down and out for a while now. Times we didn't think he would come through." The large man was saying to Tenil. Confused he lowered himself to sit down on the edge of the carriage he was sleeping inside. It was a fancy looking thing, fancier than he had ever seen. Covered and all.

"Where are we Tenil?" His voice finally returned, head still spinning slightly but not near what he remembered. The hunter turned and faced him. The response was simply "East lad." Which drew more confusion. Last he remembered they were going to head to Baerlon. They talked about it that first night around the fire.

"Why east? I thought Baerlon was North?" The question came out before he had even finished the thought. The large man's smile had faded though. Why?

"We have come and gone through Baerlon lad, you were out of it. I'm sorry, I know you were excited to see it. We have also moved east through White Bridge and Four Kings. We are almost to Caemlyn itself, the capital of Andor." Tenil's answer caught him off guard. Passed Baerlon, and White Bridge. They were going to Caemlyn?

"Sir." He began, but was immediately cut off by Tenil. "I know, you are confused. Truth be told you were out a long while, and the wisdom back in Taren Ferry did a great job, but you weren't recovering well enough. Soth has been kind enough to take us all this way. We were thinking we would need go further but here you are awake." Further? What would be further than Caemlyn?

"Tar Valon lad, I can see the look in yer eyes. We were gonna try to get you up to that Tower o there and see if they could heal you up all right and new." Heal? Was it that bad?

"Aye, been years since I've been myself. But not necessary now. We make stop in Caemlyn and I will see an old friend." Which brought smiling back to both men. "Now, back in that carriage wrapped up in a pouch is some food. Eat slow, and drink from the skin next to it. Oh! In the pack at the far end is something for ya. Its not much, but you said your birthday was the twenty first of Saven, and well...Im sorry its come and gone. It's for you lad, got it in Baerlon so you atleast have something from there if you aren't able to remember the visit. No worries though, you will get a chance to see it someday." Tenil was smiling over his shoulder as he bobbed his head up and down. Retreating into the carriage he crawled back to the far side away from the front and found the pack. Opening it he pulled out a wooden figurine. A soldier, dressed in the garb of Andor. Painted and wielding a sword upright in front of himself mid chest. Adorned with a white lion. Clutching it he sat back against the wagon. "Thank you." He called out, which drew a response he could not make out. He sat there in the dark, staring at the figure while the two men continued their small talk half concealed in the dark. He would stay here the rest of the trip, and hope he was strong enough for them not to trouble themselves taking him further. He felt weaker than he ever had, but he was somehow still alive.

It stretched as far as he could see, clusters of homes and buildings running in every direction toward the looming gray walls that dominated the area up ahead. The wagon rolled forward ever still and up the pathway as it came closer and closer. Passage became slow as more and more people were scurrying ahead, horse drawn wagons or just clusters of individuals moving through the gate that loomed ahead, open and allowing passage in and out.

"The White Bridge gate lad." He heard, and turned seeing Soth point up ahead. He did not remember moving ahead of the two men, but there he was almost atop the horses at the very edge of the carriage. As they drew near several men bearing a striking resemblance to his figurine waved them on, and they moved forward through the gate and into more wonder. Larger, more elaborate buildings sprawled off ahead of him, paved roads and the noise of the bustling city hit him at once. But nothing could take his attention from what loomed far ahead in the distance. Glittering white walls looming far ahead, elaborate beautiful towers loomed above those in many places, all more grand than anything he could even imagine. His dreams of the towers were made of mud compared to this. Clutching the figure he sat back.

"The inner city, built by the Ogier ages ago. One of the most beautiful cities in all the world lad." He turned to see Tenil smiling at him, and the mans hand came to rest on his shoulder. "We are almost to the Queen's blessing. When we get there, remain with Soth on the carriage while I try to work something out." The words came out, and it snapped him from his gawking.

"Work somethin out?" He blurted out, not liking the sentence one bit. Which drew a sigh from the weather beaten hunter. Who gave his shoulder a squeeze.

"Hoping I can manage to talk my old friend into taking you in, can't have you out in the woods like this anymore. It almost took ya this time. If your gonna get strong, you gotta have somewhere safe you can lay your head, and get a warm meal. No more squirrel." The hard lines of Tenil's face gave way saying this, he looked sad.

Bobbing his head he understood. He did not like it, but he understood. "Understood Sir." His response, not knowing what else to say, or ask. The carriage came to a halt almost immediately and he peered over at the building they were stopped in front of. A large stone building loomed over them, with a sign over the door. As Tenil hopped down and stretched his legs he shuffled into the man's spot and tilted his head. The sign had a man kneeling before a woman with red hair and a crown. She was touching his head with one of her hands.

"The Queen's Blessing lad, run by Basel Gill. A good man. Im sure he will take you in." Before the man could finish the statement he heard the door open once more and a giant of a man was standing in the doorway eyeing him. Lazy looking eyes adorned a scarred face with what appeared to be a broken nose. A cudgel hung at his waist. 'Are they really going to leave me with him?" Artal thought worried about the idea.

"Lamgwin, good to see ya." Which drew a grunt and a nod, before the man turned and re-opened the door and retreating within. "Not much for words today I see. Well no worries lad, with him about you will be safe as can be." Soth was smiling at that but he did not know what to think.

"Lad come. Bring your things." He heard the shout, and looked to see Tenil in a window calling out to him. Standing beside him was a fat pink faced man with graying hair combed back. The man was smiling at least, he looked pleasant enough. Before he could even turn to gather his things, not much that he had anyhow. Soth had already collected the pack and was passing it to him.

"Lad, be safe and get strong. If you need anything my carriages travel all along the Andoran roadways." With a nod he carefully stepped down off the steps of the carriage and moved forward, giving one last look to the carriage he stepped up beneath the sign, and pushed forward into what would now be his new home.

Siro

Post by Siro » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:01 am

This is great. Thanks for posting :D

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:43 am

Nice work man. Keep it up

Artal

Post by Artal » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:39 am

Thank you, will be more. With opportunity for others to appear by virtue of shaping who the character will become later on. (Some individuals have stepped up and taught him things and shown certain kindness to him so pending their approval will be written in.)

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:00 am

Make me a background character

Alison

Post by Alison » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:35 pm

Can put me in as well. I dont mind being part of someones life in here.

Lisennet

Post by Lisennet » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:55 am

This is a lot of story in a short time! Wow! Nice read "Lad" :D