The Gaidin Gather --- &RPaward

...for in character discussions, contributions and Wheel of Time themed stories.
Ominas

The Gaidin Gather --- &RPaward

Post by Ominas » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:14 pm

Ely edit 29 Jul 2021:

1-6 qps, depending on length and quality.

Potential +1 qp: if part of a series: x

Total: 2 qps to both

A young man was attempting to make a lifelong dream, reality. His name was Starvald. With the Free State of the Gaidin finally established, Starvald's mentor and one of the leaders, Koschei, took it upon himself to create a new tradition.

The following was the vote thread for Starvald. They are ordered and shown exactly as they occurred. (Shout out to Koschei. Really brilliant idea. We all had a lot of fun)

Koschei:

Koschei stares into the silent dark of the crypt, dreadfully sober. Why tonight, of all nights, did he have to be without drink? His thoughts were coming too quickly, as they usually did in moments of sobriety, the mathematical symbols forming before his eyes, the solutions to societies injustices, how the Creator is just a dude beh-

*SMACK*

"You were doing it again Koschei", Ominas mutters. "Flaming goat ball's on Ryzom's chest, pull yourself together. You're the reason we are in this flaming piss and gloom."

Koschei shakes the pebbles loose and looks around. And does not see much of anything. Why? Oh, right. that idiot.

He coughs politely into his hand and awkwardly raises his voice to address all gathered.

"Brothers, Sister, Idiot Ryzom, and those who are just idiots. Weird, only one sister, huh, anyways. We are gathered here to vote upon this poor fool's employment opportunity, which I might add is very one-sid-"

*A meaty thud is heard*

"I mean, vote on Starvald for Gaidin, yes or no. We are stuck in this darkness until the decision is made, and I -will- throat punch at any given moment."

Ryzom:

Fumbling his pouch full of flaming goat balls, Ryzom stares up into the sky. ‘Perhaps it is time to finally rid this apprentice of Koschei and his ever worsening madnes. I can also just let him get us more beer instead, that’s always fun.’

I shall vote yay, to spite Koschei forever more.

Theren:

A cacophany of bells sound throughout the barracks, their harsh and discordant tolling shaking the very walls. As the sound grows closer, even Koschei is struck momentarily sober by the sound invading his mind. The door opens, and Theren pokes his head inside the room, the awful din of the bells in his hair finally growing quiet as he peers around the room.

'Has anyone seen Seaster?' Theren asks. 'Haven't seen him since I got to Tar Valon...' he trails off, reading the room. 'Yes on Starvald, then. He has a nice smile!' Theren says enthusiastically, his smile pulling gruesomely at the scar decorating his face.

He turns to Ryzom, bells screeching once more, and eyes his goat balls. 'Ahh, a gleeman show then?'

Seaster:

Hearing someone calling his name, Seaster pokes his head out from behind a stack of books in the library. He shouts a greeting and drags an unwieldy wooden cart behind him. It's most prominent feature is a gilded tag engraved with the name, "Liia". A sword sheath hangs from the handle.

He drags a hand through his slightly mussed hair and scratches his beard, blinking in thought.

"Hmmm, Starvald, yes, I remember him". He shrugs, "Nice fellow, why not, lets make it a yes".

He glances impatiently down at a sheaf of papers on top of the cart. "Right well, got to go. Very interesting research, never thought I'd be doing this sort of thing..."

Laertes:

Slouched in his rocking chair, enjoying the quiet years of his retirement Laertes looked up from his tea, an awful thready brown mixture which he requires to keep him upright. His old friend Reil has come to him with news of a vote.
“Ah yes Starvald, I remember her. Pretty young thing, she’ll make a fine novice, I’ll send a letter to the tower with my endorsement.”

Grunting, Laertes searches the room with a confused look. “Where is my apprentice Aang? This pen is far too heavy, the quill allegedly plucked from an ostrich, has he ran off again, dressing up in women’s clothes and pretending to be his own warder? That boy is such a disappointment.”

“Reil my old friend I don’t have the strength for a letter, please convey my support for Starvald”

Reil:

A tall, steely-eyed man approaches the festival of sausages. Serious and grim among the drunkards, fools, and flamin' ooze-bashers, Reil takes stock around him. He did not have time for this, he had a laundry list of things to take care of on behalf of his dominatr--er-- Aes Sedai, Auriona Sedai.

"I vote yes, don't bother me again. Laertes votes yes too; I think he tried giving me a thumbs up, but you know how he is."

That being said, he turned on the balls of his feet, cat-like in grace and movement. The last image is of his ass-less greaves as he makes his way down the hall, away from the absurdity.

Ominas:

Ominas took a long drag from his pipe, surveying the gaidin before him. He pulled the hood of his cloak down over his eyes and continued to draw on the stem, balancing his chair back on two legs.

“Who are you?” Firin said, leaning closer to lift the tip of the hood from the figure. “Darkness,” Ominas whispered menacingly.

He suddenly lost balance and fell backwards, “oh shi..” he yelped with hands outstretched toward the table. He missed and the chair crashed into the floor, taking the warder with it. Ecthus looked over and sighed, shaking his head. He refit his eye hider and began to mutter.

“Yes,” came a labored squeak from the floor.

Ecthus:

But what was he muttering? This question occurred to Ecthus himself even before anyone else. He began to listen to the whispers coming out of his own mouth.

"We find the boots and we give them to the man. We take the boots back and we put them in the pan."

Maybe, he thought, it was time for more feet in the barracks. He clicked his heels together to show his approval for Starvald, the adventurer. But would anyone understand?

Shaista:

Hearing a loud commotion, Shaista wakes up and sees a hurricane swiftly moving towards the Sea of Storms. She frowns at the speck of red and what looks like Ecthus being carried away. Outside in the corridor, she stumbles over a curled up Theren.

Theren cries out, "I am the chosen one! I sleep so others can be awake!" He goes back to snoring louder than town crier bells.

Pitying the poor Aes Sedai who bonded this useless man, Shaista turns towards the tavern where a mighty warder is addressing a large crowd, "Once we were the best. And exclusive. It was me and Davor. Now we even let people like Ragyn in. When will it stop?" Shaista is completely swayed by this argument when for some strange reason she finds herself nodding yes to Starvald.

Damn that all-women bond! She realises it is actually Asandra nodding at Starvald outside the Ruined Keep as another trolloc corpse falls to the ground. Horrified and against her better judgement she hears herself saying with a predatory smile, 'Another tasty morsel!"

Ragyn:

"My Lord a vote has been called!" Peering up from the full plate of food Ragyn slowly finished chewing his mouth. "Ah so the Council has finally come to its senses and we will finally show Reil the door?".

He let the messenger catch his breath, scooping up a couple more mouthful of the savory mutton. "No, my Lord. They are voting on Apprentice Starvald."

Ah well, he cannot be a bigger embarrassment than Reil, so what is the harm, Ragyn chuckled at the thought. Yes, Starvald would be a good fit.

Carter:

The Gaidin barracks sat in juxtaposed chaos, each bunk reflecting the nature of their respective owner.
Perfectly dressed sheets and dustless oaken decor contrasted the piles of filthy laundry and crusted socks that lay strew over several bunks.

From the nearby closet, a voice called "abstain".

At this point someone decided to be lame and not participate. I will leave their bit out so as not to embarrass them! This was Koschei's response. Which made me laugh so I decided to leave it in.

Koschei:

Koschei leaps up from the corner he has been squatting in, catching his breath from dry heaving for the past forty-eight hours.

"YOU WILL JOIN US, IDIOT GAIDIN!", Koschei screams, before punching GAIDIN directly in the throat.

Hammar (Leader of the Gaidin) Aka: Elysia

Hammar drops his pipe with fine Two Rivers tabac in shock as GAIDIN mumbles something incoherent. Leaning over to Coulin, he asks 'Is GAIDIN well, or has the bond finally gotten to him?' Coulin shrugs his shoulders and edges away from GAIDIN, who is clearly not of sound mind.

(P.s. you should totally post this vote thread on RP forums once Starvald's clanned).

Ryzom:

Surveying his new addition of socks from his brother and sister Gaidin, Ryzom giggled to himself and spoke in hushed tones, ‘ah yes, they thought I would stop stealing socks. However, here we are, and soon Starvald will be wondering why the precious socks have disappeared..’

Looking up quickly at the sound of approaching footsteps, he quickly left GAIDIN's room, unbeknownst to the now sockless and sleeping Lord Gaidin.

Valkner:

From the same closet as Carter.

A gruff voice from the same closet, clearly Valkner, yells "Aye"!!

Theren:

From the same closet, the sound of bells. So many bells.

Carter:

From the spacious closet arose a ruckus of masculine grunting and the sound of boots scraping as bells jangled on and on for what seemed an eternity. Barely audible beneath the sound of bells was the impact of flesh meeting flesh repeatedly. A strong and familiar scent wafted through the surrounding area as soft cries began to escape from underneath the crack in the door.

As quickly and as disturbingly as it had started, it stopped.

Valkner, covered in sweat, walked out of the closet with a look of satisfaction on his face. The severed head of Sandy Claws secured firmly to his belt.

Draconus:

Yes

***Authors Note: I have no problem embarrassing Draconus***

Koschei:

As Draconus does nothing and says one word, Koschei drops from the rafters above him, landing upon Draconus' back. Koschei hops to his feet, then rolls the discombobulated Draconus over, before throat punching him three swift times.

Koschei then drags the sputtering Gaidin towards a large closet where bells and grunts drift from.

"How many more of these idiots am I going to have to dump into that cesspit..."

Draz:

A letter arrives from a gaidin who has been long absent.

As swords are pulled to serve as makeshift letter openers there is a cacophony as Draz, newly returned, snatches it from Valkner's grasp, waving his signet ring next to the pink wax seal.

"This was just a.. status report, I vote yes by the way."

Muffled thumps trace his path as he moves to drop the letter into a sconce, and waits until the paper begins to burn before turning away.
A few links of chain are visible, wrapped and swaddled around his feet, protecting..something.. from theft.

Pausing at the doorway Draz quietly mutters about having to find a new hiding place before looking up, and around the room.

"Starvald seems an excellent candidate, I'm keen to see what you make of him as he progresses, and what he makes of himself".

Koschei:

Does that mean Aes Sedai are parasites? They drain our life force, bloodsucking mistresses that do-

"KOSCHEI!"

Koschei leaps from his lumpy seat, slamming his head into the low ceiling of the closet. In the pitch black, all he hears is the tinkle of Apprentice Theren's bells, and the soft strangled snores of the throat-punched brothers he has piled under him.

"What do you want, brother Ominas?", he whispers.

A voice tickles Koschei's earlobe. "It is time. Those who would speak have, the two weeks have passed."

Koschei giggles as Ominas' breath sends a shiver down his spine. "It is TIME!!!" He springs from the closet, doors sent broken into pieces, scattering around the room.

"TODAY APPRENTICE STARVALD BECOMES A MAN, A-" He is abruptly cut off as he stumbles face first into the naked behind of Reil. Koschei's head snaps back as it bounces off of "Tar Valon's Ass", ten years running.

Koschei gathers his thoughts as he sits a moment. He hops to his feet and heads to the nearest keg of ale. He draws a rusty spike from his breast pocket and slams it into the side of the sweet mahogany barrel.

"REJOICE BROTHERS AND SISTER! MY APPRENTICE IS NOW COUNTED AMONG US! TELL MY LADY SHE OWES ME TEN THOUSAND CROWNS!" He lifts the keg above his head and lets the brew splash down upon his face as he drinks deep life's greatest joy.

Welcome Starvald.

Starvald

Re: The Gaidin Gather

Post by Starvald » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:00 pm

Starvald sat quietly in the barracks as the tolling of the midnight bell broke the silence. How long had it been since leaving Fal Moran and beginning this journey? They all said it came with great honor and prestige, to serve the Aes Sedai. To guard their backs as they guard the world’s. It seemed a great story at first, incredible and exciting. Only now did the realisation and the weight of a duty that would be the centre of his life come to the forefront of his mind. His new quarters in the Gaidin barracks were small, yet functional. His fresh color-shifting cloak hung neatly upon a hook on the wall, beside his sword belt. His mentor had handed it to him with a few last words, which were oddly sober. Coulin and Hammar had sworn him into the ranks of the Gaidin and as one chapter ended, the next began. It happened so fast, what was even said to him? It all seemed a blur.

Baby faced and clean shaven when the White Tower had made that visit to the keep. So many women in the finest silks and gems he had ever seen. He was laying roof tiles on his uncles house when they came into view. A woman in brilliant yellow and the man who would come to be his mentor. They had been standing to the side of the wagon train. Her pointing at the nearby tavern and then poking her finger into Koschei's chest. His attention was elsewhere as the freshly laid tiles had given way and the ground rushed up to meet him. When he woke, it didn't take long to register the cold grey stone that was the royal keep, the home of house Togita. Koschei was sat near the door, most of his face hidden behind the smoke drifting from his pipe. "Idiot." was all the Warder had said to him as he sat up. The door before them flew open and the same woman glided in. Before he could blink she had crossed the divide of the room and had her hand upon his head. Cold rushed though him and it all became very real, very quickly. She turned to Koschei and said in a low voice. "I have work here today. I leave this one in your care. He seems healthy, though he will need food and soon. You will see to this for me and consider it penance for the headache I currently suffer because of your extracurricular activities.". It never crossed his mind at the time that he would leave with that delegation, nor that it would be years before seeing home again.

It always seemed Koschei was troubled somewhere inside himself, and whatever the reason, he had never spoken of it. He drank too much that was for sure, despite the constant badgering and as yet unsucessful attempts by his Aes Sedai to lead him to sobriety. Though, there were moments when he could see a man with honor, and it was those moments that had made the sleepless nights of dragging him along the boulevard home into his bed worth it. Now they were on more of an equal footing than ever before, though the weight of experience still fell to his once mentor. Starvald smiled, knowing it wouldn't be long before one of the Tower Guard roused him, just like so many nights before, to bring the mumbling mess back to the barracks.

Shadows danced on the far wall, as flames from the small brazier licked at the now charred remnants of cloth. Reil and Ominas had told him of Ryzom’s joy of stealing socks for his burgeoning collection. How though, could the man take something that Starvald no longer posessed? Smirking, he thought of the extensive search of his room that would go on the first moment he was away on Tower business. Fruitless indeed, there would be no victory here for Ryzom.

As expected, the scuffing of feet could be heard from beyond the door and the thud of a gauntlet on wood drove all thoughts of amusement from his head. "Come in." he said. The door cracked open and torchlight spilled into the room as a stout guard poked his head in. "Starvald! I wasn't sure if I was to come to you anymore about Koschei, you being a warder and all now. Though, I’m not sure who else to speak with, and quite frankly that Aes Sedai of his scares me.". "Don't worry lad." he replied. "Where is he this time, and will I need the wagon again?". "Well sir, you see...He's uh, well, he’s on the roof of the Spice again, so I think you may need the wagon." Standing, Starvald snatched up his belt and cloak, the color-shifting material undulating as he fastened the clasp. "Well lead on Welyn, Creator knows we don't have all night."

Yet again he would get Koschei down off that stupid roof, hopefully more or less whole. This time however, he would speak to the owner about removing that damned ladder in the back even if it meant doing away with the blasted thing himself. Grinning, it occured to him that he was no longer a student come to drag his mentor home, but a friend and fellow Gaidin. The future didn't seem quite so heavy when he thought of it like that.

OOC - Thanks for the great RP and enjoyable experience everyone. It's been a blast :D

Jaye

Re: The Gaidin Gather

Post by Jaye » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:57 pm

This is all so fun. Thank you all for sharing!