Looking for a PK Instructor

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Etain

Looking for a PK Instructor

Post by Etain » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 pm

I am looking for a patient, dedicated, and skillful individual who is willing to teach a complete idiot the basics of north PK.

It's time for me to get serious and learn something that I've always wanted to learn. I've tried on my own, off and on, and never managed to pick up more than a little bit of theory here and there. As much as I hate to ask for help, that's what it's going to take.

I'm available consistently from 8:30 PM - 11 PM on weekdays, and between 11 AM and 3 PM (in addition) on weekends. I'm willing to take direction and orders, and I would like to be challenged and pushed hard. My strengths are memorizing and retaining large amounts of data, as well as perseverance. Weak points are poor communication skills (under normal circumstances, under stress more so) and difficulty processing information at speed (I get lost in the spam easily).

Thanks for your time.

hasp

Re: Looking for a PK Instructor

Post by hasp » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Good luck! Hope you do not get too good. Hehe

Rig

Post by Rig » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi friend! For your first step I recommend reading this!

Pk Class Log:
http://forums.wotmud.info/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=4823#p36230

It explains a few things here and there. I am around usually whenever so I don't mind helping you when you are around!

The first most important thing you need to know as of right now however is that you will die. More than likely a lot. Trick is to embrace said rips and learn from them greatly!

isabel

Post by isabel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:34 pm

I'm not skilful, but I can help practice stuff :) Hit me up whenever you see me on!

ecthus

Post by ecthus » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Happy to help. My availability can be erratic, but those are more or less my playtimes too.

isabel

Post by isabel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Markus did some training drills with us which were super helpful - we can do those.

Also part of the fun of pk is learning this stuff. I have worked with loooads of people and they always find it super exciting, and then when they get to try it out in REAL pk it's SUPER EXCITING

So welcome to the funnest part of this already fun game :D :D :D

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:20 pm

Make a DSer.

I am not patient, but I dont bite as hard as people believe.

Draz

Post by Draz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Sadly, the best way to learn is to go DS.

Jaster, Zangief, and even Rig can teach you well.

If you want to learn on LS - Rikkus is a great option if he'll devote the time, and I'm happy to too (you will die more with me).

I'll be very patient with actual pk skills, learning, and ability levels. I will get frustrated at self deprecation if I think its hurting you.
My preference is to start with zone knowledge zone by zone (FD, dusty, winding, gap, blands, df, orch, blight, fd road, granlin, lockshear) - learning the chokes, pk call locations, and spams in each.

Etain

Post by Etain » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:12 pm

Thanks for the many offers of assistance :)

At the moment, I have but one PK-ready alt (Etain, who is woefully under-equipped), and none on DS. If it'll make it easier, I can stat another DSer, although I've never really gotten a feel for the side. Ultimately, I'm looking to learn to PK on Etain, being as she's my only real full-time alt, but that can wait until I've got a handle on how it all works.

Skadi

Post by Skadi » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 pm

On DS vs LS - I think both can work, DS is probably a little simpler in terms of gear but LS keeps the same kind of dynamic you're used to on Etain. Some people prefer DS, some people prefer LS, most people have characters on both sides. For learning PK, whatever you feel most comfortable on - whatever is most conducive to trying again and again even though it might feel like you're not learning anything - is probably the best.

If you go with Lightside, I would create a pre-statted hunter or warrior (18 17 18 or 19 19, respectively) and learn to PK on that character rather than Etain. Channelers are very powerful in the right hands - but without decent zone knowledge, will usually earn you a very quick trip to the CoL. Playing what will probably be dodge and having a lower HP pool mean that you have a smaller margin for error if you get caught in a bad spot - and on top of that, channelers have an additional set of things to learn in PK. I would play an abs hunter/warrior, learn the basics, and then once you've got that down learn the channeler parts on Etain.