Auto Name Highlighter for mudlet

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Chuker

Auto Name Highlighter for mudlet

Post by Chuker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:58 pm

Hey guys I have been working on a trigger that highlights player names automatically based off the who list. It saves clanned player names and has a specific color for each clan. Unclanned or incog players are still highlighted but their triggers are lost when you close mudlet. Every time you look at the who list it should update. If a player that is already had a trigger saved goes incog it should still highlight the clanned color.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r42mpb8wp3gzh ... r.xml?dl=0

I have tested it quite a bit and it seems to work for me the way I intended but let me know if there are problems.

I am pretty new to coding and stuff so if you see some way to clean this up and make it work better let me know.

There are a couple issues I know of
1. If a player leaves a clan or changes clans you will have to move their trigger manually.
2. When new clanned player triggers are created it kinda freezes the whole trigger tab you can change code but it doesn't save. The workaround is just close the triggers window and open it again and it should work fine again. I think this a mudlet bug with creating permanent triggers.

Forgot to mention it only highlights player names in situations I thought highlight was important. When a player leaves the room or enters the room and when you look in a room. Chat's Say's and tells don't highlight.

Jomin

Re: Auto Name Highlighter for mudlet

Post by Jomin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:43 am

I've tweaked a couple of things to fix an error in handling "Lords" and "Ladies" - they were broken. Also instead of repeating the Clan in the Who listing I just turn the existing one yellow when the player is spotted (and I've changed the message slightly when a new clan member is spotted).

You can find my revised version in my Public (open to all WoTMUD users!) room at: https://spideroak.com/browse/share/Jomi ... 0entrance/ as Who_List_Highlighter_1_2.xml - you just import it as a package with the package manager.

Notes: The bug I found in the previous offering was creating lots of temporary triggers, I have given the code a thorough going over and now all the incognito or unclanned players that are identified are put into a separate folder in the permanent triggers visible in the editor. The end result is a separate trigger for each player which highlights their name in a number of cases.

A coloured suffix is shown in the WoTMUD who output when a new player name is identified (and also applied to that listing as well as subsequent ones). To change the highlighting applied generically to each clan the table clans in the Clan Name table should be adjusted to give the required fore and back ground colour. This will not change the existing trigger for each player - they must be either edited manually or deleted so that they are recreated the next time that player name is encountered in the who command output. Similarly a player that joins/changes their clan or drops being incognito after being seen in that manner will need to be deleted so that they are recaptured or dragged and dropped to the right clan (and the colours applied to their name) manually...

The situations under which the player name is highlighted is determined by the (current 12 different) trigger items in the trigger folder baring each clan's name. These folders change into filter triggers (with a funnel symbol in the editor) once they gain one or more player entries. For convenience these folders are gathered as sub-folder of some others (with a (Group) suffix) which are purely passive containers to hold them in. Should someone wish to tweak the conditions under which the player name will be highlighted then they will need to edit the trigger items of every one (over 30 IIRC) of the clan folders in the editor window. There is a dummy template copy which can be edited and then copied (and renamed) to replace each of them but it is not a trivial exercise. {I tried to get clever and edit the XML by hand in a text editor external to the Mudlet application - but I found out the hard way that the indentation and element ordering is essential to preserve the functionality and I nearly lost several hours work until I remembered that the profile back up had a copy of my work on the package and managed to recover everything that I though I had lost after making a mistake in a global search and replace to tweak all of those individual filter triggers!)

Chuker

Re: Auto Name Highlighter for mudlet

Post by Chuker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:05 pm

Your version is 100% better thank you.