New player end game question and others

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Kelron

New player end game question and others

Post by Kelron » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:32 pm

Hello! So I have been looking for a good pk mud to play upon returning to my mud adventures(been about 12 years lol), and after doing a lot of research the last few days I plan to play this mud I think. It seems the closest to what I want which is a fun pk mud with kingdom vs kingdom gameplay(or race wars as they call it now I guess). I use to play Act of War and had a blast. Oddly I made my toon last night and it seems almost identical to AoW besides the Wheel of Time lore of course. Now on to my question.

Is it possible to play this and be competitive without insane scripting? I was considering a couple of iron realms muds but the fact you have to basically create better scripts than the other guy turned me off(and their ridiculous pay model). I want to play a game, and not learn how to code.

A few other random questions:

Last night I only got to level 3, but got stuck outside in the dark and had no way to recall that I know of. In AoW you could recall to your home city after a wait if you didn't engage in combat recently with a player. Is this possible to do or return to the "eye of the world" I think it was?

I also tried to "rent" and "offer" at an inn and it displayed a wierd text I assume means it didn't understand my command. I read you have to do this to save, but I gave up and just quit as I had something to do and I'm sure I lost my stuff. I asked in chat, but no one would respond to my questions which was a bit of a turn off as well.

Can you remort in this game? It doesn't seem like there are many classes at all in this game(I had 4 to pick from). I liked being able to remort into a more powerful class in AoW, and the second time around the leveling was quicker.

And my last question, which mud client is recommended? I was using Mudlet last night, but would like to know what's best for this mud before I get invested. Back in the day I used cmud and zmud before that.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the abundance of questions!
Last edited by Kelron on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cael

Re: New player end game question and others

Post by cael » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:47 pm

- It is possible to competitively PK without scripts, but it takes practice and zone knowledge if you are new

- there is no recall option, have to "call gate" to get inside after dark, or wait for the gates to open before finding an inn and renting

- rent is the proper command at an inn...you probably weren't at an inn, but maybe a tavern, which is different

- plenty of easily loadable scrips for Zmud/Cmud, which is what i'm most familiar with. Wotmud Archives Forms (google it) has plenty of scripts you just copy and paste into the chat bar.

Maps are key for me...they expanded my world of mudding, literally and figuratively. try http://lyren.me/ for zmud/cmud maps.

Make sure you "listen all" and chat again, usually people are receptive to newbies and will readily answer questions.

***i'll be on most of the night, sobriety permitting, and would be happy to give you a walk through and answer any questions

Kelron

Post by Kelron » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Alright awesome thanks for the quick help! It did actually say it was an inn. I was in caemlyn. The whole copying and pasting thing sounds great lol. Ill see if I can get cmud to work(I have windows 10). Maps would be awesome also. I remember it was a new feature when I last played in cmud, and I was manually mapping for AoW back then. Good to know others have done it already! I maybe on tonight, but I'm not sure. If not I'll be on tomorrow. Depends how bored I get on Wow lol.

Thanks again!

Amilyndra

Post by Amilyndra » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:17 pm

In Caemlyn, the renting room is the Reception of the Queen's Blessing. The innkeeper, Basel, is there as well. In general, unless the mob has been chased out of rent, most rents will have an innkeeper in the room where you can rent. The room called Queen's Blessing is actually the tavern area of the inn. Go up from there, and you will be in the rent room.

Do you know about statting?

Amilyndra

Post by Amilyndra » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Also you can join our Discord channel if you like. There are people from all races and clans usually available to help if you can't get anyone to respond to a chat. http://forums.wotmud.info/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=7300

Octavio

Post by Octavio » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:37 pm

You can also find a jpg of a world map here to give you an overview: http://forums.wotmud.info/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=7889

toribio

Post by toribio » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:00 pm

And yes remorting is an option but it will take some time for a new person. If you have been around the block a time or two I have seen people remort in a few months but normally it takes people quite a bit longer.

micheal

Post by micheal » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:01 am

generally takes a bit to get into the way of PK, zone knowledge is a huge part of it, so I'd recommend spending times familiarizing yourself with the active PK zones, learning spams etc. even while you exp up. Best way to learn the north is probably to stat a trolloc and walk around up there.

Remorting is an "end game" goal for darkside characters, you become a master(rank 7) in a clan, its 1000 quest points, after that there are some requirements that you need to fulfill before being able to remort into a Myrddraal/fade, these should all be posted somewhere on the Announcement boards or Tales of the Dark I forget which. The other way is to become a Darkfriend on your human character and do the requirements there, going the Darkfriend route you can either become a Dreadlord if you are a channeler or a fade if you are one of the other classes. It is easier to go the trolloc route though.

Human side doesn't have remorts, but there are bonused clans, such as Gaidin, Wolfbrothers. I wouldn't stress about it, just play the game, learn the zones and the PK dynamics. I haven't played any other muds than this one, so not sure how similar it is to other muds, PK wise, but generally takes a little while to get into the way of things, especially since most people playing and actively pking have been doing it for years and years, so it might be a struggle at the beginning.

Aira

Post by Aira » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:31 am

You can remort, but I think a more practical path for improving your character would be to attain rank 7 and "master". That means you get postures, e.g. posture offensive, posture balanced and posture defensive. These postures will add offensive bonus and parry bonus. All masters also gain extra damage output and the ability to lead a mob.

A fair bit further down the line are rank 8 bonuses, which for humans include a special imm made weapon just for you, or the use of extra good chest equipment. There is also the chance to increase your stat points and add 10 hitpoints, 10 spellpoints and 10 moves, I think.

You don't get turned into another class of character, but there are definitely options to improve your character.

Remorting is for humans who serve the Shadow, or for trollocs who do well and complete a series of quests. You can then become a fade or a dreadlord. The fade is essentially a hunter with improved pracs and the ability to teleport to/from different dark rooms. It's a popular thing to do, sometimes there are more fades than trollocs. :?

Mhaliah

Post by Mhaliah » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:26 am

Kelron wrote:Last night I only got to level 3, but got stuck outside in the dark and had no way to recall that I know of. In AoW you could recall to your home city after a wait if you didn't engage in combat recently with a player. Is this possible to do or return to the "eye of the world" I think it was?
There is a process in the game generally referred to as "Idle Rent" this returns you to the Circle of Light or Circle of Darkness on DS. Turn off any triggers and let your character idle out. After 5 (correct me if I am wrong) ticks a message will notify you that you are idle: "You have been idle, and are pulled into a void." Disconnect from the game (close client). Wait 20 minutes before reconnecting and you will be in the CoL or CoD.