Rule change

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Naerin

Re: Rule change

Post by Naerin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:46 pm

Joolis wrote:We should count ourselves lucky that we can even "alt" things to begin with. Any previous mud I played in the past this would get both your chars deleted if caught.
And I'd argue we might be in a better place if that were the case. Removing the ability to alt things - or more broadly, removing the ability for your characters to interact - would mean that instead of people hanging on to things to trade (and going in for splits on those items), they use them or rent them in order to use them on that character in the future.

Treach

Post by Treach » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:33 am

What about using postmaster to mail an item to another character? I would love to be able to do that. Even if it deleted on reboot it would still be useful.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Both bankers and postmasters are hard coded. Meaning imms here can't access or add to it.

The mobol variety I was trying to get to work just had a set of 1 room deposit boxes, a fee for using them and the ability to record the person who was depositing as well as recording the name of the person intended to pick it up. But yeah, never managed to iron out the kinks. :|

Billina

Post by Billina » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks Elysia for the response. Figured if there was a way you would have figured it out :p

My initial frustration is over and I want to thank everyone for all the responses...lots of learning.

Divina

Post by Divina » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:40 pm

Madin wrote: People will sometimes see you in a weird room and then log off, and go loot what you hid.
This is totally me. I find stuff almost every time I log on. I love the thrill of never knowing treasures I am going to find.
Its the same as when you die, you have no claim on the equipment and have no right or expectation for it to be returned.

Dimmu

Post by Dimmu » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:31 am

Divina wrote:
Madin wrote: People will sometimes see you in a weird room and then log off, and go loot what you hid.
This is totally me. I find stuff almost every time I log on. I love the thrill of never knowing treasures I am going to find.
Its the same as when you die, you have no claim on the equipment and have no right or expectation for it to be returned.
Divina understands.

Neveyan

Post by Neveyan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Elysia wrote:Both bankers and postmasters are hard coded. Meaning imms here can't access or add to it.

The mobol variety I was trying to get to work just had a set of 1 room deposit boxes, a fee for using them and the ability to record the person who was depositing as well as recording the name of the person intended to pick it up. But yeah, never managed to iron out the kinks. :|
I don't think anything should change. Seems completely fair and its the risk you take when transfering eq. Always has been this way.

... That being said, @Elysia your problem could be solved by an imm bot ;) (Which I know is in the NWIH list).

Billina

Post by Billina » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:58 pm

There is a risk you take because that's the way the game is played, and it's the players choice to take that risk and then there is a risk you have to take because of the limitations of the game mechanics. Just because it's "always been this way" doesn't mean that the mechanics of it aren't screwed up.

Theid

Post by Theid » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:28 pm

By this train of logic : "Just because it's "always been this way" doesn't mean that the mechanics of it aren't screwed up."

So cars should fly and horses give birth to dogs because if they don't that's screwed up. :shock:

I am sorry someone found your unprotected stuff. You should be fully held accountable for leaving it lieing around (hidden or not). Next time ask someone to hold it for you and stop blaming everything under the sun for your loss at a gamble. (The gamble being that you thought no one would happen across, locate, find, watch where, stalk or hope the game doesn't crash before retrieving your stuff)

Mhaliah

Post by Mhaliah » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 am

Billina wrote:There is a risk you take because that's the way the game is played, and it's the players choice to take that risk and then there is a risk you have to take because of the limitations of the game mechanics. Just because it's "always been this way" doesn't mean that the mechanics of it aren't screwed up.
Billina, next time you see me on hit me up for gold farming. I will show you solo ways to get 300+gold in <1hr.

About this particular mechanic I personally like that hiding is treated this way and that there is no coded "safe" way to alt equipment. The only time I would use straight hiding is to alt cross race. For same side transfers I have never used hide to get the equipment transferred. The best option here is have someone hold it, but this does reveal an alt. If the equipment is not that valuable or no one is available I toss it into a shelf, rack or other holding space in a room. If I want to be more stealthy talk to me and I will give you some good tips that have let me alt containers full of gold/vials/trinks. I have never lost items I was trying to sameside alt. I think I lost some equipment one time for cross race alting, but a ds clan mate found it and chested it anyway.. so technically it saved me work. Remember almost all ds players are running around with notice on all the time, hiding items from them is pointless lol.
Brione Furcas wrote:It was meeeeee.

*rolls in coppers*
Make it hail Scrooge McDuck!