MUDLet Map

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Mariel

MUDLet Map

Post by Mariel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:53 am

Anyone have one? Where can I find one? How do I make one? Saw Adael's mudlet mapper but don't even know where to begin. I am inept.

julianna

Re: MUDLet Map

Post by julianna » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Agreed! I am inept when it comes to mapping and triggers!

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:35 am

To get started, here's the high level overview of the process:

1. download the .dat file from the links Adael posted in another thread. Credit: Groderick and/or Saul?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wotmud ... rce=navbar

2. go to mudlet preferences and import the map DAT file

3. download the xml scripts from Adael:.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5k3mwonr3ap ... P4IUa?dl=0

4. import them as a package, this will add scripts, aliases and triggers to your mudlet profile. The scripts should automatically execute which will cause a map window to appear over the main window.

I do them in this order mainly because step 3 will automatically open the map window in mudlet and I like to have map data available when that happens. Just personal preference. Its probably ok to do 3, 4, 1, 2 in that order if you like.

Steps 3 and 4 are analogous to z/cmuds map calibration wizard. It sets up mudlet to track the player as the player moves between rooms. This is different for every mud, thus there are distinct steps for doing this in mudlet.

Also, Lyren published a beautiful web page with some mapper info for various clients. Its at the link below, then click the tab that looks like a map parchment on the right side:
http://www.lyren.me/
Last edited by Katherine on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Viola

Post by Viola » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:42 am

Should I follow all the steps while im already logged on?
What are the commands I need to give so map will work? (Brief off? Anything else?)

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Those steps worked for me offline and online. But to be safe, I would do it offline the first time. Once you log on and "look" for the first time, the map should "just work".

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Viola wrote:Should I follow all the steps while im already logged on?
What are the commands I need to give so map will work? (Brief off? Anything else?)
Not sure what all the features are in Adael's script. Might want to check the imported aliases and triggers for some idea of what is available (how to turn on different follow modes, creating new rooms in the mudlet map db, etc).

Here is the original thread for such things:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=5321

Also, the map linked above is a bit old. It could use some help. Sounds like a fun project for an Accepted (or anyone else looking to help the community).

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:54 pm

Here is link for cMUD to mudlet map conversion: https://forums.mudlet.org/scripts-packa ... t2274.html

I don't use mudlet, and barely started to check out cMUD so I don't know if this works or what. It seemed worth a look if anyone wants to check it out.

Viola

Post by Viola » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Im getting this message at every room, and no map is showing. Any ideas?

The Manor Entrance Hall
The main hall to the manor is made of blocked stone two stories high, with
an dark wood open beamed ceiling spanning overhead. From each cross beam a
banner is strung, and colorful tapestries insulate the cool rock walls. The
stone floor is covered with thick rugs that are marked with heavy use.
Candles flicker from sconces that provide light, as there are no windows.
[ obvious exits: N E S W ]

Room not known!

Room not known!

Room not known!

Room not known!

Adael

Post by Adael » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Katherine wrote:To get started, here's the high level overview of the process:

1. download the .dat file from the links Adael posted in another thread. Credit: Groderick and/or Saul?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wotmud ... rce=navbar

2. go to mudlet preferences and import the map DAT file

3. download the xml scripts from Adael:.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5k3mwonr3ap ... P4IUa?dl=0

4. import them as a package, this will add scripts, aliases and triggers to your mudlet profile. The scripts should automatically execute which will cause a map window to appear over the main window.

I do them in this order mainly because step 3 will automatically open the map window in mudlet and I like to have map data available when that happens. Just personal preference. Its probably ok to do 3, 4, 1, 2 in that order if you like.

Steps 3 and 4 are analogous to z/cmuds map calibration wizard. It sets up mudlet to track the player as the player moves between rooms. This is different for every mud, thus there are distinct steps for doing this in mudlet.

Also, Lyren published a beautiful web page with some mapper info for various clients. Its at the link below, then click the tab that looks like a map parchment on the right side:
http://www.lyren.me/
Spot on, thanks for this Katherine.

Katherine wrote:
Viola wrote:Should I follow all the steps while im already logged on?
Not sure what all the features are in Adael's script. Might want to check the imported aliases and triggers for some idea of what is available (how to turn on different follow modes, creating new rooms in the mudlet map db, etc).

Here is the original thread for such things:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=5321

Also, the map linked above is a bit old. It could use some help. Sounds like a fun project for an Accepted (or anyone else looking to help the community).
Just posted a list of some useful commands in the original thread mentioned.

Adael

Post by Adael » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Viola wrote:Im getting this message at every room, and no map is showing. Any ideas?

The Manor Entrance Hall
The main hall to the manor is made of blocked stone two stories high, with
an dark wood open beamed ceiling spanning overhead. From each cross beam a
banner is strung, and colorful tapestries insulate the cool rock walls. The
stone floor is covered with thick rugs that are marked with heavy use.
Candles flicker from sconces that provide light, as there are no windows.
[ obvious exits: N E S W ]

Room not known!

Room not known!

Room not known!

Room not known!
That room either doesn't exist in the map you have downloaded, or the room description has been changed.