Mudlet Mapper Testing

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Adael

Mudlet Mapper Testing

Post by Adael » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:11 pm

preface: am not course 6, so no promises this all works the best. but 95% of the time, it works everytime!

So I've played around in the past trying to get my mapper script for Mudlet (which is originally due to Groderick I believe) to follow me around well in brief mode/the dark, and I -think- I've successfully done so. Was hoping to get feedback from other people on whether it works outside of how I have mudlet set up personally for myself. I've heard success from one friend so far, but more test cases would be nice as well :P

If anyone's interested in testing it out, you can download folders for triggers/aliases/scripts here (lemme know if the link don't work for some reason):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5k3mwonr3ap ... P4IUa?dl=0

You'll probably have to download these three/import into mudlet/deactivate any previous mapper things you have and activate these/possibly restart mudlet to clear some variables/see if the map still follows you around.

What it -should- do is:

in non-brief, non-following: track where i am on movement, and flees assuming no connecting rooms are duplicates in names/desc/exits
in brief, non-following: track where i am on movement, and flees assuming no connecting rooms are duplicates in names/exits
in dark, non-following: track where i am on movement, firetruck up on flees.

If it appears to be following you around in all these cases, awesome!
More detail on what you can expect then for some specific cases:

The most likely times the mapper will lose you is if you're in brief mode and have happened to flee into the dark or to an area with lots of rooms with the same names/exits (think TV-Caem Road along a long n/s stretch). Looking at a room should reset your position, assuming no two rooms in the mud share the exact same name/descriptions/exits. Alternatively, if you're still moving along in brief mode and happen to come across a room with a unique name/exits combination, it should reset to your position.
Ex: I'm 2n caemlyn egate in brief mode. I flee n, but mapper can't tell dif between n/s because they have the same name/exits. So I get "multiple matches". I move s, end up 2n egate. Mapper still can't tell where I am, because the name "The Outer Road" with exits n/w/s is not unique. I move 2s, and finally mapper finds me because egate caemlyn has a unique room name.

If you are following someone, I (at the moment) treat that as you fleeing around. This is in order to be rather general, as you might be following someone who's sneaking and therefore I wouldn't (or don't think I could? maybe I'm wrong on what the MUD displays) be able to determine what direction they went. You could certainly write something up for the separate cases where you can pick out the direction a leader moved, but I was not motivated enough to do that quickly yet, and found no particular reason to for myself atm.
This will cause the same issues as above if you're following around in brief mode, and the leader moves from room A to room B, except room C also connects to A and has the same name/exits as B.
Ex: same as above, except instead of fleeing from 2n egate I'm following someone who moves n, then s, then 2s.
If you find that troublesome, turn off brief mode when following someone and mapper should work fine.

In most cases, a quick "look" to reset the mapper on your room and a "resetqueue" to clear out any dirs/flees stored in the commands table should fix things if it appears broken.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated! I'll probably shortly get around to updating/changing some commands for actually mapping places or easily updating rooms previously mapped so people can do that as well (you'll find some commands in the aliases folder already, but no promises how well they work still lol).

Edit: fixed the link/files in there bc I didn't export things properly :roll:
Edit 2017-8-05 afternoon EST: fixed a slight bug where you might be in non-brief mode, pass through a room with a changed desc so the mapper would lose track of you, then not be able to pick up your location again.
Edit 2017-08-09 shortly after reboot: slightly fixed how the map tracks when you're following others. Still not ideal, but I'll have a better feel once I make my way n for blight pk and can see how it does. Updated some aliases, and it seems that being able to map new areas is working well. I may write up a short how-to on that sometime soon.
Last edited by Adael on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:51 am, edited 9 times in total.

Adael

Re: Mudlet Mapper Testing

Post by Adael » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:46 pm

Also as the title implies this is probably not in 100% completion mode, so no promises :P.

If you encounter unexpected things, it'd be helpful to know where it occurred/what happened/logs to look at.
I'm told it may break a bit when going through maze under RK, but I haven't spent any time in that zone so unclear why atm.

Treach

Post by Treach » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:45 am

Is there a map for mudlet or does vyo map work?

Adael

Post by Adael » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:55 am

Treach wrote:Is there a map for mudlet or does vyo map work?
I've always pointed people to here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wotmudmapper/
It's a few years out of date, but at least its something. Believe it's also from Groderick.

Ashlee

Post by Ashlee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:12 am

Adael wrote:
Treach wrote:Is there a map for mudlet or does vyo map work?
I've always pointed people to here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wotmudmapper/
It's a few years out of date, but at least its something. Believe it's also from Groderick.
It's a good map! Unfortunately, way out of date now! I need to spend a day or two soon to remap in light of all the new changes!!

Adael

Post by Adael » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Hmmm, after being around up n during some pk, I'm not quite happy with how this works when following other people. I'll probably be tweaking that again soon.

Adael

Post by Adael » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Updated the files again.

I'm now pretty content with how this tracks me around. Fixed a couple minor things but overall I think it's good to go for anyone interested. The most you can (hopefully) expect to be annoyed by is how it tracks you in brief mode when following someone, but I took the best easy approach that I liked and 97% of the time it works every time. Many thanks to Bofin for being my guinea pig at times :lol:

Also went through and updated/added/changed some commands for when you're actually mapping. You'll find these in the Aliases section. Most are (hopefully) descriptive enough/have comments so you can know what they do, but if anyone wants further details I can go more in depth.

Adael

Post by Adael » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:52 am

Files updated once more thanks to Alric bringing to my attention a small issue where you may rent in one place on one char and log in at a different place on another char, and the map wouldn't recenter on you. Fixing this actually may have solved a couple other minor things I hadn't been able to track down, though I'm reasonably confident atm it didn't break anything more. Link updated in original post, here it is again for convenience though:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5k3mwonr3ap ... P4IUa?dl=0

GroderickMashin

Post by GroderickMashin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:25 pm

As I am currently on the army for the next 1 and a half month, i may be able to help with the mapper, if you are willing to work together (as I don't have anything better to do).

The downside is that I will propably have 3 days per week, 2 hours per day to work on this.

Ander

Post by Ander » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:01 am

Any progress on this? I am running into issues while mapping where the orientation seems to get lost... this is based on either rooms that are too similar, or being in a room and sliding into a different room without typing in a command. I then end up with dotted lines and arrows between rooms and west no longer takes me to a node to the left... it may take me north east or south and it starts screwing up all the solid links between the nodes I had already created...