Map Script Help

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Marious

Map Script Help

Post by Marious » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:53 am

I'm not sure if we use these forums to troubleshoot *cheats*. :)

But I have a question about the map script. I'm using a map, and started using that Find Room script. I'm using v 2.2. But I seem to be having a problem. Just for reference, I did copy and paste the code into the command line, and everything else works for it. Except for the search by description aspect.

When I use it in "Verbose" mode.. ("find v") It never finds the room by the description. Particularly where the roomname is something common like "Main Street" or "Dock Road". It says.. well, this:

Code: Select all

Main Street
The houses here are small and interspersed with shops, though everything seems
to be well kept. Even the road appears to have been recently repaired as the
the occasional patch of cobblestones appears rough and new contrasting with the
older stones which have been worn smooth. To the north is an intersection
and to the south are more shops. West is Morning Dew Drops Road according to
a shiny new street sign on the corner. A tailor's shop is to the east.
[ obvious exits: N E S W ]

Searching for room names...
 Multiple matching room names found.
 Searching through descriptions...
 No matching room description found! Update your map.
 Searching through exits...
 Multiple matching room exits found!

Multiple possible matches, and your map is already in one of them. No action taken.

East: A hard-working tailor meticulously alters clothing here.
When I do a manual search, I can find that room just fine by using the first line of the description, just like the script is supposed to do.

Looking at the script, it's showing that it finds the same 7 rooms by name/desc/exits. Even though when looking at each of those, only 1 actually matches name/description. So, it reads that it didn't find any rooms by description, but yet, the variable is showing that there are 7 rooms found.

What's very interesting is that by typing "find". I get the pretty printout showing me that it's looking for Rooms/Exits/Descs.. And sometimes it'll find it, and move me to a weird location based off of the exit, because it found many rooms by name, none by description, and then by "exits", it finds like those 7, so it just chooses the lowest roomnumber an teleports me there. BUT if, if type "#find", it finds the right location and I don't get any readout showing me that it's doing the searching or whatnot, even if I'm set to "Verbose". I have no idea why that is and it's super weird!

Is there anyone out there that would even understand or comprehend how to fix the issue? It seems like a sweet piece of code, but If it cannot distinguish between 2 rooms of like name by using a description, that will suck....

Anyways. If you need more details, let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Kerryk

Re: Map Script Help

Post by Kerryk » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:49 am

find is an alias

#find is a zmud command

will try and help more when I get off work tonight.

Marious

Post by Marious » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:22 pm

I'm thinking it might be an issue with my map itself. I'll have to do some further testing.

After a bunch of testing, i'm still lost. But, I found that on some rooms, it does find the description helpful and finds it by that. But, other rooms it does not. I first thought it was cause there was punctuation in the first line of the room desc, like a "," or "'". But, I ruled that out by finding rooms that do it that don't have any punctuation in the first line. So now I'm lost again, and it's even more confusing because sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

Kerryk

Post by Kerryk » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:54 pm

I'm taking a look at things and will let you know if I work anything out.