Hostile change email rejection message

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Murg

Hostile change email rejection message

Post by Murg » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:42 am

I just tried to change my email as the game recommends to new players and this happened:

Email rejected, and will be inspected by game management.
If it turns out to be a hacking attempt you will be zapped and permanently bansited.

All I tried to do is enter a GMail alias with a + which is a very common practice when you use the same email for multiple websites etc. The command looked like:

change email [email protected]

I find the message I got to be super hostile especially considering this is something genuinely new players might encounter. What's wrong with a regular old "Invalid email, please use the following characters when entering emails (characters here)"?

Draz

Re: Hostile change email rejection message

Post by Draz » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:40 am

Hey Murg;

I would recommend sending something like this to staff.

As I understand it; and a bit of background here - we had a significant down period when a player enacted DOS DDOS attacks against the server; and I suspect that continued for some time. If this isn't a holdover from whatever code we originally copied from then I would guess that its from that period.

Again; if you're worried this is the sort of thing where I'll drop an email to staff.

Vaen

Post by Vaen » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:21 am

Straight to jail.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:03 pm

It gets better. I have no idea where we should be reviewing these 'shady' emails. This is probably all behind the scenes for normal imms and may only be reviewed by the owner of the game.

Alison

Post by Alison » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:26 am

We should call those years the dark years. It was so weird not having wotmud in my life at that time.