Learn PK alone

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Carn

Learn PK alone

Post by Carn » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:43 pm

So I have been playing again for the first time in over a decade this summer. (Yay for high school teachers getting summer break!) I'm trying to learn pk, and started a trolloc hunter in abs gear.

I have two questions for y'all.

1. When there's no pk happening, what do you do to help learn zones? I had someone take me around Stedding today, which was helpful. I then spent some time running across the zone as quick as I could from path to downer to the SW and NW exits. What else do you do?

2. When there is pk happening, other than telling the group leader that I'm new but ok with dying, what do you want me to do? I usually sit and spam kill human and then try bashing.

Thanks!

Prykor

Re: Learn PK alone

Post by Prykor » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:47 pm

Carn wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:43 pm
So I have been playing again for the first time in over a decade this summer. (Yay for high school teachers getting summer break!) I'm trying to learn pk, and started a trolloc hunter in abs gear.

I have two questions for y'all.

1. When there's no pk happening, what do you do to help learn zones? I had someone take me around Stedding today, which was helpful. I then spent some time running across the zone as quick as I could from path to downer to the SW and NW exits. What else do you do?
use a map and explore. the wotmud wiki has the general zone layouts (several zones are a bit out dated, but they are close enough for you to get the lay of the land), likewise client maps such as the one Adael put together are great resources.

There is no subsitute for innate zone knowledge, but exploring it with the map as a guide is helpful! learn the northern zones, and the shorthand (e.g. where is split, elbow, shoulder, commie, kajin, etc.). learn where the chokes are (easy with most map tools), and where mob support is, both friendly where you will run to for regroup, and hostile so you know where to stand 1 room away from to block fleeing humans from getting to them (map won't do this for you, but it's not hard to pick up).
Carn wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:43 pm
2. When there is pk happening, other than telling the group leader that I'm new but ok with dying, what do you want me to do? I usually sit and spam kill human and then try bashing.

Thanks!
the general pk guide that Shinobi made is great. it can be found: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=15885

1 - MOVEMENT: fol leader and they will do this for you, most of the time. Otherwise, you need to know where your mob support and regroup spots are.
2 - COMMUNICATE: when in group combat especially, nar who you are on, where you are on (so the group can get to you quickly), and in larger group fights your hps and whether you are winning or losing. When you are getting low on hps, nar it. when you are going to flee off and run to the regroup, try to narr your intentions before you act -- try to give a round or two notice before fleeing off. Nobody will fault you for fleeing away when you are getting lowish, but they will fault you if you flee off unexpectedly right as they get bashed and then eat two rounds at max engage because of it.
3 - KILL: read shinobi's guide on this. there is a time to spam k 1.light and a time to bash. don't forget to throw in a few k h.light when rogues are around and use 'where' often (but don't get too reliant on it, dism and zone boundaries can use this against you -- esp as a hunter, tracks generally lie a lot less than where).

It's good to let the leader know you are new.
It's better to smob up a couple of abs sets (don't need to worry too much about trinkets) and spare weapons so that you can re-eq yourself quickly. the black flame lets you get between all of the major DS cities that have inn storage (including blodfest's camp, but that is generally a 1-way trip so plan accordingly).

Get used to running around blight, filled with fairly strong aggros that will chase you, while low on hp. Learn when to retreat and how far. It's better to retreat at would to trees, then at batt to a patty than to wait until bloody and crit and run into keep -- it's most important that you stay alive, but learning those boundaries is part of the fun and to keep PK interesting.

edit: typos and clarity