Character Development

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Alayla

Character Development

Post by Alayla » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:19 pm

Should anyone need help developing an alt for a "Roleplay Clan" or a clan that may require some roleplay, I'd love to assist you. That also goes for any player that simply wants to add flavor to a character they already have or want to have. PM me and we can work on it, or I can find someone in your time zone that would be willing to do so as well. ;)

Aldwyn

Re: Character Development

Post by Aldwyn » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:24 pm

I would definitely be willing to help anyone who wanted to work on this as well. I find it really helps make the mud more interesting when there's story behind your choices and actions.

Alayla

Post by Alayla » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:34 pm

Oh, and anyone new to the Wheel of Time series, here is a fun, brief rundown of the books from Tor to help you understand the foundation of our world:
http://www.tor.com/2014/06/02/the-wheel ... refresher/

Crenna

Post by Crenna » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:36 pm

I'd be happy to help anyone with this as well.

Also never let a fear of lack of ability stop you from rping with me and others. For all the rpers I know, it's a joy meeting someone who wants to practice.

Regarding book knowledge, this site is a wonderful resouce and I often use the search bar to quickly pinpoint what I seek. http://www.tsosmud.org/wotcon.aspx

Livae

Post by Livae » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Nothing better than someone who wants to RP and is great to bounce off, the rapport is fantastic and encouraging.
There are those who are more than active in RP, it isn't all battle elitism. Although a bit of knowing what is going on helps in PK of course.

I recommend Alayla to anyone who wants to RP, she is up there in the top tier. If I had known of you Alalya, I would've come to you prior to becoming Accepted or joining the Tower. It would of helped with a lot of dead ends and so on :)

Saying this I am happy to RP with those who put in the effort, it can be funny, great and full of intelligence.

Shamara

Post by Shamara » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:28 pm

Ditto on what the previous posters said -- and add me to your list of those wanting to help others flesh out and practice their RP.

It's also been awhile since I posted one of my favourite resources for creating character background, personality, and motivations. One can either pick something at random or just read the ideas for inspiration.

http://www.ashami.com/rpg/

Another thing I've done in the past was base my characters on exaggerated past versions/aspects of myself, e.g., Shamara is akin to to me 20 years ago when I worked on my philosophy degree and worked as an admin assistant and so I tied to her an interest in ethics, justice, what it means to live a good life, she was a goody goody student, and is admin focused as opposed to a fighter.

Other alts are based on other parts and interests of mine things like: martial arts, nature skills, counseling/healing, past wounds, etc.

idra

Post by idra » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:31 pm

Even my trolls (with the expectation of my warrior) have a rp background though I don't rp on my trolls. Being a bloodthirsty monster is good enough rp for trolls. :P

As for the character development of Idra, much of it was inspired by my family background and my experience in the Blue Ridge Mountains when I went to school there.

I come from 3 generations of Baptist ministers. My great-great-grandfather, great-grandfather and my grandfather were Baptist ministers. There's an indication that my grandfather may have actually been a fifth generation minister. Grandaddy Smith was very much a mainstream minister though.

When I went to school in the mountains, I met quite a few ... ah.. characters who belonged to what my old neighborhood would consider fringe churches. I grew up in a well-heeled neighborhood.

There were Pentecostals, snake handlers (great way to get snake bit in the name of Jesus), and the most common kind in my neck of woods: fundamentalists.

You can see where I get ideas for Idra's rp. GOP helps too.

I have always considered Idra my most difficult alt to rp. For one, her rp calls for her to be cruel to those she consider below her. I, the player of Idra, find it very difficult to be cruel to others. In many ways, she's very much the polar opposite of me personality wise.

However, I did find a way around this. My humor can be dark. I thought it'd be well suited for Idra. I remember telling some Accepted that I charged 300 crowns for an item and for Tower members - an arm and leg literally - for the same item.

However, I remember nearly skipping a beat when some hol rp'er talked about lighting witches hair on fire. I wad shocked; I hoped no one noticed. I, the player, rarely ever agree with Idra.

Anyone who has ever hung around my alts will tell you that I'm very talkative; *oL are supposed to be the aloof type, and I'm anything but!

However, I can disparage or disdain members of the Tower to others around me or those I deem unworthy of the light.

There are other parts of me that I intend to incorporate into my other alts.

For example, I remember wanting to be Brown Ajah on my first fc. I used my fine arts and graphic design background for this rp; i drew pictures much like the kind you see in biology books, illustrated field books, etc as assignments to one of the Brown AS.

Just thought i'd throw out ideas for rp for your alts. I'm not the greatest rp'r ever but i think I can hold my own among the best.

Alison

Post by Alison » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:16 am

I would agree that shamara sedai is a good person to help in the rp front. Ive never been strong in that aspect and it is only since I have started Ali, that i have been nudged in the right direction. For those that know my back story, i was bad with grammar and due to my playtimes being polar opposite to the rest, i did not do so well.

Shamara sedai help me and sometimes hearing the truth on your journey hurts, but take it and use it.

Elyse sedai and Divina Sedai have recently inspired me in rp choices as well. Good people to just rp with. I suggest seeking them out.

Idra, im one of those that get to match rp with the zealous one . I believe you are a good person behind that crazy char. Glad you are not that over the top in real life.

As for my rp on ali. That is the person i am in real life. I have a strong protective urge and that stems from being a cop in real life years ago. My advice on rp and what i have learnt. Dont over think it. Let it flow from the moment you start it. If you force it, you appear to be rushed.

But most of all. Have fun. This is a game after all.

Alayla

Post by Alayla » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:39 am

Dont over think it. Let it flow from the moment you start it. If you force it, you appear to be rushed.

But most of all. Have fun. This is a game after all.
All good advice, Ali. ;)