Cannot connect to mud, what could be wrong?

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Omlin

Cannot connect to mud, what could be wrong?

Post by Omlin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:35 am

For a couple of days already, I cannot connect to the mud.
I can connect to other muds without any issues. Two days ago I could also connect to wotmud, and nothing has changed in my setup.

It happened soon after x3 multiplier was restored after a crash.

At first client would connect but usual mud logo and enter-your-name prompt would not appear, just "Connected" and that's it. So I tried reconnecting again and again but to no avail.
After some time, client was not able to connect anymore.

This is mudlet output:
[ INFO ] - Looking up the IP address of server:game.wotmud.org:2224 ...
[ INFO ] - The IP address of game.wotmud.org has been found. It is: 72.52.169.8
[ INFO ] - Trying to connect to 72.52.169.8:2224 ...

This is another client which I use (mmc):
-:- Connecting to game.wotmud.org:2224...
-:- can't connect to remote host: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a perio
d of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
-:- game.wotmud.org:2224: connection closed.

I tried rebooting computer, router, tried from another computer with different OS, etc. - connection cannot be established and that's it.

Could it be I was banned or something?
I am able to connect via proxy server and also using a different IP address.

Carlia

Re: Cannot connect to mud, what could be wrong?

Post by Carlia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:44 pm

I am having this exact problem. Started after the crash

Shamara

Post by Shamara » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:39 pm

It's been awhile since someone posted the warning, but just in case, you all know to disable any autoreconnect features on your mud clients, right? I'm assuming that reconnecting too often in a short period of time can still cause IP bans?

Landwin

Post by Landwin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:41 pm

I remember the ban is hardcoded and nota s convenient to remedy.

Omlin

Post by Omlin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:52 pm

I don't have auto reconnect. I was connecting by hand, but there was no text appearing, it just said "Connected" and that's is. So I tried to reconnect from time to time, expecting game to recover at some moment. Not really spamming, but I think I might have tried several time per minute, yes. It was x3 after all :)

So I think it could be it. Is it a death sentence for me then? Like "You are not welcome here anymore"? Or can I expect this ban to be removed at some point?

Shamara

Post by Shamara » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Yeah I don't know what the actual numbers are, but if I try to connect once and it's still down, I tend to wait 5 mins before trying to reconnect each time.

It sounds like you need to contact an imm to see if they can help.

Shamara

Post by Shamara » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Can an imm sticky this please as it's fallen to the 5th page.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77

Also, if I recall correctly a coded warning is sometimes said if one tries to reconnect too quickly....BUT...I think I've also seen cases where that warning doesn't pop up. Regardless, having that stickied seems prudent.

Omlin

Post by Omlin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Well the post you referred says that it can't be helped and that's it. It is official answer as far as I can see, and imms are busy people (I know that firsthand).

Well... It was nice experience anyway. See you all some better times! :)

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Holy impatience Omlin. Give an imm a moment to actually see this and have a chance to log on! I needed to be ingame to verify it wasn't a normal ban for whatever reason. Unless I'm completely overlooking something ancient, it isn't.

I've notified Flash to see if it's a firewall ban, or something else, for both Omlin and Carlia. I have no idea how long it will take him to see that mail or respond, but things have been set in motion.

Carlia

Post by Carlia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:50 pm

For clarification I tried connecting a total of four times over a course of probably 10 minutes