Cannot connect to mud, what could be wrong?

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Carlia

Re: Cannot connect to mud, what could be wrong?

Post by Carlia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:10 am

As a side note when I did finally get connected zmud had a major meltdown and basically lost everything. I had to uninstall and reinstall that as well.

Omlin

Post by Omlin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:49 pm

Elysia wrote:Flash has responded and he has found nothing related to a firewall ban relating to either Carlia or Omlin's IP addresses.

He thinks maybe there are multiple windows opening and trying to connect to the game at the same time. So the window you see can't connect because a window you're not seeing is in the login sequence. In particular Omlin's logs show him connecting to the game, not loggin on, and then idling out. The fact that some part of his connection is getting that far suggests that this may be the case.
This is very strange indeed.

There aren't any multiple windows.

I tried 4 different clients (Mudlet, mmc, Blowtorch and even good old telnet) on 3 different operating systems (Windows, Linux and Android) on 3 different devices (Linux laptop, Windows desktop and Android phone).
Every one of these works fine with other MUDs.
Every one of them works fine when use proxy or my 3G connection.
This is not client-related thing I'm pretty sure of this.

If it is not an IP ban on your end, I can't imagine what it can be...

Omlin

Post by Omlin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:52 am

Just tried it and now it works. Thanks for the fix! :)

corrala

Post by corrala » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:21 pm

Hello
I just started having the same issue with my mud client. i have never played so i couldn't have been ban for any other reason. I don't know if anyone ever looks at this thing anymore but what do i do?

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:28 am

I used the forum IP to trace your connection, Corrala. It looks like that whole set of IPs was banned. Since we lost our old forums with all the info, I can't retrieve why. I will remove said ban right now, so you should be ok to connect.

Jomin

Post by Jomin » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:52 pm

Omlin wrote:
Elysia wrote:Flash has responded and he has found nothing related to a firewall ban relating to either Carlia or Omlin's IP addresses.

He thinks maybe there are multiple windows opening and trying to connect to the game at the same time. So the window you see can't connect because a window you're not seeing is in the login sequence. In particular Omlin's logs show him connecting to the game, not loggin on, and then idling out. The fact that some part of his connection is getting that far suggests that this may be the case.
This is very strange indeed.

There aren't any multiple windows. <snip>...
Mudlet as a client mentioned previously in this thread will not have "multiple" windows open without the User physically selecting multiple profiles to play, one after the other - and as an SDI application with a single (unhideable tabbed collection) of "main" windows one for each profile it is not possible to "lose" a main session/window in which those [ INFO ] messages appear.

If something goes wrong in the Telnet option negotiation I suppose that you might get problems but it is not obvious that that has happened in this case.

Knowing the internals as I do I am aware that there is no code in the application to timeout and/or retry a failed connection to the MUD server (there are some variables but they are not wired up to any code that uses them).

So: any "auto-reconnect" code has to be scripted by the user at present - or, and I would recommend this, the user should manually use the "Reconnect" button on the main toolbar but only once - it also disconnects an existing connection so pressing it several times may not be helpful in these situations. :ugeek: