General computer help!

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
xinith

General computer help!

Post by xinith » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:26 pm

Ok so I’m hoping in a community full of wonderful nerds…we have some tech gurus here! So my gaming desktop is acting up. It powers up, has display. Goes through boot and bios. It was proceeding to start windows, showing the blue icon. That’s where it would hang up, and just having the spinning load dots. So I tried a few internet attempted fixes. To no avail..

Not only did they not work.. it seemed to get worse. So now after startup and going through bios etc. Just prior to the usual windows startup phase. It now cuts from that to a orange screen with vertical lines. There is a little blinking underscore in the top left as well. I can’t get anything to work from this point.

My very limited knowledge tells me it was a bad driver or graphics update probably. But I have no clue really. Ideally I’d just like to reinstall windows at this point. Would be nice to keep everything I had. But any fix to get it usable again would be great. If anyone has any ideas. Maybe some time to help out it’d be greatly appreciated. At a loss on what to do to fix it. Helppppppppp lol. Thanks, msg me and we can chat or talk in game.

Protus

Re: General computer help!

Post by Protus » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:12 pm

I would boot into safe mode and IF this boots then I would start looking at drivers and anything attached to the box.

open the run box from safe mode and type msconfig

That should pop up a new window and from there look for startup. Look through the startup and look for things to disable on startup. Almost everything in this section doesn't actually need to start up so disable and reboot until you find the culprit. You can also go into safe mode with networking if you feel its just a driver issue and update drives as you see fit.