Combo eq: abs lowered - Discussion

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Mhaliah

Combo eq: abs lowered - Discussion

Post by Mhaliah » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:34 am

Aureus Announcement https://forums.wotmud.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15432 wrote: The abs on combo eq has crept up over the years to a point where in many cases it was not very different from abs, which leads to a world where abs is de-valued. So it has been lowered back to a more reasonable level. We want combo to be worse stats-wise than the pure setups, since it offers some of the value of both.

In most cases it's just the abs% that has been touched, but in some cases a few of the other stats were slightly altered as well, mostly to reduce the defense provided.

I've also adjusted the -db/pb stats on a few abs pieces (notably ebony greaves) to prevent them from becoming attractive for heavy combo. I've made sure the overall pb level of abs is unchanged -- things have just shifted around.

For currently in-game eq and logged in players, the changes will be live as of your next rent or the next reboot, whichever comes first.
I like this, heavy combo has felt like "elite abs" for a while. Once this has had a chance to mellow and make sure it doesn't need tweaked, maybe we can get heavy combo added to the weary for purchase? I am not sure why it was excluded, so this change may not effect that.

If it was excluded for a different reason then *nothing to see here*

Elysia

Re: Combo eq: abs lowered - Discussion

Post by Elysia » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:37 pm

It was excluded to make combo, which has historically been one of the strongest setups, is harder to get. Even if it's incrementally so. Tbh, I'd prefer if that stuff was taken off wearies and people used the Lugard Market Hall, since that would further the economy more than just coins going poof. 10% already goes poof in LMH.

Mhaliah

Re: Combo eq: abs lowered - Discussion

Post by Mhaliah » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:14 pm

Combo not being on weary made sense to me because it was certainly the best setup.

I like the weary for how simple the process is. Give coin say what set you want and get the basic set in one go. This is helpful for kitting out my mob, someone who just died to start smobbing for trinkets, or a newbie.

With LMH there is a more risk (this would be further increased if weary business was concentrated to LMH), the process is more complicated (each item by itself from separate brokers), and there is no guarantee that items will be available. But the cost for abs (weary equivalent) is reduced by 95gc there.

I rarely use the LMH because, as a seller, it doesn't offer direct PtP interaction and, as a buyer, it is not a guarantee that what I want will be in stock. For players who play at lower activity times not having to have direct PtP interaction is good though. If I were not able to sell items directly PtP then I would definitely use LMH for selling, and if there were a way to make sure that all items would be available I would definitely use it more.