Expanding beyond Prerolled Stats and Using Practice

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Orlin

Expanding beyond Prerolled Stats and Using Practice

Post by Orlin » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:06 am

Want to try different things. Stat something a little better etc when I can't PLAY.

I listen to chats/narrates and read the wiki ALOT. I haven't mastered searching the forums but I try. I also use the writtenrealms calculators and the prac trainer.

Few questions.

I already know that 18 19 19 hunters and 19 18 19 warriors are considered great stats compared to the past. So lets say I want the same physical stats but go for better mentals.

I also know you can't go 19 19 19 without being clanned. What clans allow that?

Where can I read about what clans get what?

I also don't want to waste practices. That's the basic background.

First Questions: Mentals

If not a channeler what GOOD are they category.

How much do they really affect practices?
How much better is 13 13 vs 12 12? How about 18 17 at the extreme end?
I have been reading the wiki homelands and looks like statting from Illian gives the best chance for prerolled physicals with better mentals.
I statted one 18 15 14 19 19 char. What will he/she do better than an 18 12 12 19 19?

What do they allow in game category.

Do higher mentals affect fade fear? How much matters?
What other advantages would they offer in PvP?

Wise use of practice category.

What is NEEDED for a sucessful backstab?
Say I don't want to sneak. Just hide in a room and if someone walks in type of stab. Some say hide and backstab will do the trick, others including written realms say I need to have the weapon practiced also? Which is right?

Are short blades the only bs weapon or do spears also bs?

Similar question regarding charge.

you have to have lance/spear weapon?
What is needed beside charge? Weapon?
Can I charge a hidden player?

Can I start a successful bs or charge timer before someone enters the room?
Can I start a successful bs or charge on someone in the room who flees and then comes back?

Projectiles.

In a melee fight, can I target someone I am NOT fighting?
How much is needed just for ravens?

Search.

How much Search is needed for normal PK doors? I read 50+ but are there others that get used a lot that may need a little more?

Swim.

I like to explore. What % of swim is needed to go everywhere?
Can Trolls pick up canoes and follow?

Thanks in Advance.

Rark

Re: Expanding beyond Prerolled Stats and Using Practice

Post by Rark » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:51 am

All clans, baring a few, allow for 19 19 19, if you so choose. At rank 8(3000 qps) you are given an additional statpoint you can put where you want I believe. So you could become a 19 19 19 or you could put the statpoint in another category if you so choose.

I'm not entirely sure about the different thresholds for mentals. I believe the cutoff is at 16 int for better pracs. I want to say it is written on the wiki, but am not entirely sure, others can likely answer this better than myself, so I won't trouble you with halftruths. Wil used to also determine how much fleelag you built up and how fast you lost it. If you flee a lot while engaged your "fleelag" will build up, so you'll stay in the same room for additional pulses/time. This was recently capped at 12 wil so having higher wil does not really affect fleelag anymore, if I understand the changes correct - which is entirely possible I do not.

Same goes for what different clans get, most have the same base set of perks/bonuses: clan retools, quartermaster, issueable trinkets at rank 1/5, postures at rank 7. Some clans having some unique things, Illian companions can lead bee mobs around, which is pretty neat. Too many to list, might be written down somewhere, else try to speak with members of different clans and see if you can ask about some of their perks. Some are public knowledge and some are/could be clansecrets.

There used to be a spear that also stabbed, it was pretty bad so not too many did it, I'm unsure if this was removed so only shortblades can stab. To my knowledge the skills needed to land a stab are backstab, hide and shortblades. You used to be able to charge without having the weapon practiced, but I think this was fixed earlier this year, so I'm assuming the same is/has always been true for backstab. So you'll need to have your weapon and charge practiced to be able to charge. And ride of course, I think you can charge at any level ride, but could be you need 4+.

You can charge and backstab hidden players, but you will need to have "notice" turned on. You'll likely want notice to at least 87% and use the kill hidden.target or kill h.target/charge hidden.target/h.target same for backstab. Typing kill h.target/hidden.target takes away a move point though, so be careful you don't spend all your moves.

You cannot start a timer before someone is in the room, although you could use ambush to set up a backstab that goes off instantly if anyone moves into the room, however this is generally frowned upon, although it was downed a fair bit some years ago to not do a lot o damage.

If the player you're trying to start a timer on is not engaged on anything you can start your timer and if he flees and comes back into the room as the timer completes you can land on him. However if the player becomes engaged after you've started your timer on him and your timer completes the charge/stab will not land. You will get a message "you cannot get close enough" or something along those lines. However if you start your timer on playerA who then engages playerB, but playerB flees out of the room before your timer is completed you can also land on playerA. Sorry if that sounded confusing, am sure someone can explain it better.

Yeah 50-60% generally opens the most common doors around pk areas, getting more is generally only if you want to smob or explore.
I would not advise on getting swim, even if you have it practiced to a high % there is always a chance of drowning and losing your gear. If you die on water, your corpse disappears and you cannot retrieve your equipment. Trollocs cannot move on water, but they can flee unto water due to a bug, so they can chase you or at least they used to be able to, unsure if this has been fixed. That is if they have a canoe on them.

Hope that helped even a tiny bit :)

Nylen

Post by Nylen » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:01 pm

Rark covered pretty much everything.

Anything with better mentals than the prerolled you'll only see a very marginal difference in hunter pracs. Enough so that I don't think I'll ever bother to actually hard-stat a warrior/hunter/rogue on LS ever again.

Swim is definitely not useful enough to practice. There are a ton of water rooms (pretty much all of the useful ones that you'd actually want to cross) that require a canoe and that you can't actually swim across, despite me pestering Itesh to make all water rooms swim-able and thus make it a more useful skill. For useless trivia, you will still drown if thrown onto water or if you drop a canoe, unless you physically swim onto the water. Then on tic, depending on the % practiced, you'll get one of a few messages:
You swim about the area... (2 moves)
You swim about the area, adequately enough to stay afloat... (3 moves)
You flap and paddle, coughing or sputtering now and again. (4 moves, some hps)
You flap and paddle about to stay afloat, but sucks in lots of water (approximately 1/3 hps I think)

It roughly works in tiers at similar percentages to survival and ride. once you hit 98% you can somehow sleep and rest on water while swimming, and at the level 6 equivalent you gain back more mvs than swim uses up each tic, if I remember right, though you can't rest.

Orlin

Post by Orlin » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 pm

Ran through both posts thanks. That gives me some things to think about. Saw one thing for sure that wasn't mentioned.

Do Mentals affect gameplay outside the context of practices?

For example, I thought i read/heard that Wil affects Fear for example. Is that true? If so are there other such considerations? Compulsion ( I don't even know what that is but I saw it on a fade prac post somewhere, maybe in a pk log)

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:52 pm

Javelins are the only weapon class other than short blades that can backstab. Since they have been nerfed they were only viable for a warrior to practice stab, and now after another nerf to warriors they are not worth going stab anymore... so no, short blades are the only backstab weapon option :P

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:55 pm

16 Int and 19 Dex give the 18% prac tree for rogue practices... only reason to get 16 Int on a non-channeler

iria

Post by iria » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:29 am

Orlin wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 pm
Ran through both posts thanks. That gives me some things to think about. Saw one thing for sure that wasn't mentioned.

Do Mentals affect gameplay outside the context of practices?

For example, I thought i read/heard that Wil affects Fear for example. Is that true? If so are there other such considerations? Compulsion ( I don't even know what that is but I saw it on a fade prac post somewhere, maybe in a pk log)
There was a story going about that higher wil made it tougher to land status weaves on you - assuming fade's fear all under this one as well - , don't think it has ever been proven, so I wouldn't put too much trust into it.

elodie

Post by elodie » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:05 pm

Higher wil still has an effect on fleelag when over 12 just not as significant.

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:30 pm

When you stat a character it actively won't let you have 3 19s, one will be reduced to 18(or rerolled, not sure).
One of the perks of rank 8 in any clan is adding 1 stat point.

Warrior pracs are:https://wotmud.fandom.com/wiki/Warrior_skill
Warrior has (Str / 2) + (Dex / 4) + (Con / 4) Which you can read as: STR divided by 2 (rounded down) + DEX divided by 4 (rounded down) + CON divided by 4 (rounded down) %

Hunter pracs are: https://wotmud.fandom.com/wiki/Hunter_skill
Ranger/Hunter has ((Str + Int + Wil + Dex) / 4) % Which you can read as: (STR + INT + WIL + DEX) divided by 4 (rounded down) %

Rogue pracs are: https://wotmud.fandom.com/wiki/Rogue_skill
Thief/Rogue has (Dex * 3 / 4) + (Int / 4) % Which you can read as: DEX multiplied by 3/4 (rounded down) + INT divided by 4 (rounded down) %

Rogue pracs have significant savings in total pracs before reduced to 1% incriments in the 18% first prac bracket.
Most the other human prac ranges normalise(not exactly) close to the same amount for hitting 1% incriments.

http://wotmudarchives.org/tools/ptrainer.html
very useful tool to plan out pracs.

I recommend 98% notice for any new players, using "kill h.target" effectively(costs moves) is not a quality of life gain for people that don't make specific use of the few pracs moved elsewhere. "Kill target" with notice on will hit hidden targets 99% of time with 98 notice praced without costing moves.