PVP Help?

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Anyaruk

PVP Help?

Post by Anyaruk » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:32 am

I hope this is the right area to post about this, I wasn't sure if this went in the Help section or the Player section.

First off, I want to say I've been an avid Wheel of Time reader for many years and was absolutely tickled when I heard they made a show about it. Somehow, I ended up on your website when I was searching Wheel of Time related content and it was amazing finding a Wheel of Time MMO! A text-based game is very new to me, but my partner and friends and I all play Dungeons and Dragons, so after my initial shock with having to type to play (It's been nearly 40 years since Zork!) I feel I've caught on very quickly! I use the program provided by the website to play and the map has been very helpful in understanding where I am geographically when I can only see the room I'm in and its exits.

I've been traveling as far as I could to see all the places I read about, it's amazing going to the Two Rivers and seeing all the people from the book. I've even tried to make the journey from Book 1 and thoroughly got myself lost in the process, but it was such a wonderful experience from someone who has always wanted to visit the locations they've read about. I've been playing now for about a month and have some questions about the game I couldn't necessarily find on the forums.

1. Is there a way to turn PVP off or PVP within my level? I saw the cards on the website and consider myself more of an 'Explorer' or 'Quester', I LOVE spreadsheets and have been documenting everything I find in Excel. I've done similar things in WoW with crafting and it just hits the warm, fuzzy feeling in my mind, I leave the arenas and PVP to others though!

I've been attempting to level during the bonus experience times but have encountered PVPers when grinding and when in the city. I don't even think there's anything I could do to them, at this point I'm 25 and I see they are level 51. Is there a place where I can be safe from PVP or turn on PVE only? I've come back from making tea or getting the kids a snack to find to find myself dead a few times, or just leveling; in cities, crafting rooms, inns. I've tried getting someplace and renting before I need to step away but am not always to with the demands of life.

It's been pretty overwhelming to lose my equipment and levels, especially when those are precious hours, I've get to play between life being negated. Thankfully the last time I was killed, I was able to make my way back to my corpse although I lost some levels in the process. I've also been thankful that some players seem to notice I'm not there and will leave. To those players, I'm sorry if I am messing things up for you or am doing something wrong to have myself flagged, I'm still getting used to things.

2. How much player agency is there in guilds? I want to preface I've met some very enjoyable people in my short time here, everyone always seems willing to send a message asking if I want help or assistance leveling. It's a really cool difference coming from a huge WoW server where things feel so non-personal and it's made me feel very welcome. I had one experience I'm not sure if I handled correctly and made me worried about my guilding chances. It was late and I will say I was probably a little more curt than I should have, but I refused someone when they wanted my horse for PVP and it ended with essentially a good luck on me joining a guild because the person I was speaking to is a guild leader.

I did not mean to come off recalcitrant, I truly don't remember the name of the person I spoke with, but I was not personally upset with you, I was tired but I know that's no excuse. I was concerned after about how much control a player has over another within this game, primarily when it comes to guilding or questing. I've had some bad experiences with WoW guild leaders and ended up switching servers, I guess my own history makes me a little cautious when it comes to players having control over other players game.

I hope this didn't come off as ungrateful or rude to the game, staff, and players. It's truly been a wonderful month getting to enjoy my favourite book series as both a show and a game! My partner and a couple friends are watching the show with me and I've introduced some to the books. I love the idea of introducing them to the game, we're all pretty casual computer game players though.

Asandra

Re: PVP Help?

Post by Asandra » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:47 am

Hi Anyaruk,

First off, welcome to the game, love to read about what has worked out for you so far, you've picked it up quickly I would say!

That said: there's no flag to turn on or off, this is a PVP/PK mud and you can get attacked anywhere.
While I understand that it's not to everyone's liking, it is what it is.

BUT! There are a few places around where you are relatively safe:
- At no-hide rooms inside Cities, go here if you need to AFK a (short) while
- At patrols outside. If you're decently equipped, you can hold off 1 or 2 attackers for a while till backup arrives
- At large patrols at nohide rooms inside cities :D

So if you rather avoid PK, I think it's best to learn how to get safe quickly. Also try (if possible) to AFK inside cities at the no-hide rooms.
You're also always allowed and encouraged to narrate when you are attacked.

Joining a non-PK guild (we call them clans) also helps and I doubt that one encounter will bar any guild or clan from taking you.
My suggestions are:
- Wisdom (only for female chars)
- Illuminators
- Gleemen
- Kandori Merchants Guild (though this is not a community, but more a group of individuals I think)
- White Tower (female channelers - though SOME PVP is recommended here)
- What else?

Meren

Post by Meren » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:34 am

Hi,

Regards PVP, you can't ever really avoid it.

However, a lot of people that regularly raid into the zones you'll be in are experienced players who have no desire to be bullies. If I see a name I know as someone "new" chances are I'll ignore them.

To carry on from Asandra's point:- To establish if a room is no-hide (thus you are FAR less likely to be backstabbed), attempt to hide in it. It will say You can't find anything to conceal yourself with. if it's a no-hide.

If you're living in Caemlyn, then the inn (Basel Gill), Caemlyn Central Square, Inner City Weapons, and several more are rather good locations. I don't recommend the square if enemies are inside it. Try to also find the General inside Caemlyn. Exploration in most cities is completely permitted, I believe one or two parts of the palace are guarded and you'll be turned away.

zankou

Post by zankou » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:50 am

Welcome to Wotmud! It is refreshing to see the perspective from someone newer to this game. A lot of us have been playing since the early 2000s, (some old farts since the 90s). This game has a HUGE learning curve, and can be very overwhelming, especially as a newer player. I have played since 03'ish and still learn things almost daily that i never knew about before. As others have said, this is a PK mud, and people will attack you, whether it be trollocs/fades/dreadlords raiding, or darkfriends/murderers on light side. Sometimes it sucks when all you want to do is explore/exp/smob etc, but i think you'll grow to appriciate it. Especially with your positive attitude. Here's my advice. Exp was made much better recently in the exp scalp ability. Learn that, and you can hit 51 in a day or two. Second, I would download Mudlet (it is free), and get ahold of Adaels mudlet package. His maps/scripts are second to none. Third, i would stat a trolloc. Most of the people you are going to be pking against (if you are on lightside) will be trollocs or remorts. Stat a trolloc and learn northern zone, meet some of the folks, maybe even go on some raids with them. You'll learn how those characters work and how the players function. (know thy enemy?). darkside is a pk side tho so you'll most likely be asked to pk, or drug into pk if youre in a group. To survive, having a good map will come in handy. (mudlet is the best ive used). Lastly, ask around, look up on wiki, or just play around with things to learn the basic mechanics of the game, like doublelining, how fleelag works, etc etc. Learning those, along with some zone knowledge/good map will help you survive when attacked. Feel free to ask questions in game, most people will respond. This wotmud family has been together for a LONG time and its easy for us to forget something that we know/learned, someone newer might not have figured out yet. Good luck and have fun:)

Iblis

Post by Iblis » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:27 am

Welcome aboard.

To touch on a couple things you mentioned. Regarding joining a clan(guild). Players generally have a large amount of autonomy in their respective clans and decide the daily workings, who to clan etc. In most clans there will be a clanwide vote on an applicant and if the clan finds the recruit to be a fit they will get clanned. Different clans have different procedures and % of votes to get in. People have mellowed out a fair bit over the years, so you'll generally not find the clanning process difficult due to differences with a single clan member. That being said, it can happen depending on the clan you want to join. But I think the vast majority of us are generally nice folk, so unless you've done something heinous you shouldn't face any issues with clanning where you want.
So to your incident with the horse and someone saying good luck finding a clan, that fella is most likely an a**hole or had a bad day. It isn't expected to give up your horse for a PKer, although I imagine it is greatly appreciated if it does happen. Granted it could be part of the way you want to RP your character, that you defer to high ranking members of clans or Lords and Ladies(what are known as "masters" of their clans). But it is entirely up to you. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd recommend applying for a clan as soon as possible. Being part of a clan is incredibly helpful, especially for a new player. So either find a clan you liked from the Books or if if you've interacted with any players from certain clans and like them, try to speak to them about joining up. Seek out different members of various clans and learn a bit about what they do. If you mention you are a newer player, people are usually always helpful with answering questions and taking you exping/smobbing and whatever else you need. Some clans are largely focused on the PK(pvp) aspect of the game and others are a balance of both or just straight up only focused on the RP aspect of the game. So figure out what you enjoy. If you like PVE, or smobbing as we call it, I'd recommend finding an active clan so you can go smobbing with members of your own clan. All in all being a part of a clan just makes things a fair bit easier.

So basically don't be afraid to ask questions and interact with people and I'm sure you'll learn everything in no time.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:34 am

First of all, welcome to our little nook of the Pattern!

To be honest, I would describe this place more as a mud with unrestricted pk than exclusively as a pk mud. There's a distinction there, I feel. E.g. if you join a clan/ guild, you are expected to adhere to the basic roleplay. E.g. Illianers not being overly friendly to people from Tear. Wisdoms healing people and generally being helpful/caring.

We also have immortals/ GMs (like me and everyone else on 'view clan watcher') who facilitate clans and balance aspects of players rights. E.g. players generally have a right to vote on who joins their guild, but applicants have the right to be judged fairly and not by using OOC/ out of character stuff. So if a guy named Bobby threw a fit over you not giving off your horse, then their alt Timmy has no business judging you over that. Obviously, that can sometimes be hard to prove, but there is always a recourse beyond 'mere mortals' if you or other players in that clan feel someone is treated unfairly. Now that your story is out in the open and come the time you are getting voted on and a known-pker/pvper-with-a-bad-attitude starts acting up with skimpy reasons, putting together one and one should be easy. So, essentially, you're good to go with regards to joining a clan!

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:15 pm

Is there a place where I can be safe from PVP or turn on PVE only?
There are rooms that are better to AFK in than others - Caemlyn's throne room is going to be a lot safer than the central square for example.
It was late and I will say I was probably a little more curt than I should have, but I refused someone when they wanted my horse for PVP and it ended with essentially a good luck on me joining a guild because the person I was speaking to is a guild leader.
Idk some people are prickly but don't sweat it. It's not all that difficult to join a guild and people are forgiving of new people.