Free characters

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Locken

Re: New player. (will pay for a stat script)

Post by Locken » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Asandra wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:58 pm
NEVER pay for things in this game.

That said, CREATE your own statting script!
It's a great way to learn how triggers work in your client.
the game has existed for 30 years, diving into creating a stat script with hardly any knowledge on how to do it, i'll drown or screw something up. I know other people use them, so i'd much rather go with a tried and true method even if i have to pay for it. then i can spend my time learning how to create better aliases, and minor scripts by taking baby steps.

livendros

Post by livendros » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:08 pm

Locken wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:12 pm
Asandra wrote:

the game has existed for 30 years, diving into creating a stat script with hardly any knowledge on how to do it, i'll drown or screw something up. I know other people use them, so i'd much rather go with a tried and true method even if i have to pay for it. then i can spend my time learning how to create better aliases, and minor scripts by taking baby steps.
Not only shouldn't you ever but according to seemingly the terms and conditions of us being able to use this fantasy world you shouldn't because it will endanger everyone's play. We have permission from Robert Jordan from way back when that no one should profit off this game and we can use his IP. I'm not sure if that meant strictly staff but I know at one point our old buddy Mesa bought a heron and was found out and lost quite a bit because of it.

Locken

Post by Locken » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:35 pm

livendros wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:08 pm
Locken wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:12 pm
Asandra wrote:

Not only shouldn't you ever but according to seemingly the terms and conditions of us being able to use this fantasy world you shouldn't because it will endanger everyone's play. We have permission from Robert Jordan from way back when that no one should profit off this game and we can use his IP. I'm not sure if that meant strictly staff but I know at one point our old buddy Mesa bought a heron and was found out and lost quite a bit because of it.
yea i wasn't sure on that, i didnt know if since it would be a script that could probably be used in different muds as well as this one if that would count or not. if it is then i'll re-edit and hopefully someone comes a long with one they dont mind sharing.

iria

Post by iria » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:49 am

Think there was a statscript posted on the mudlet thread, I think by Atkins or Janers. I used it for a bit and it did the thing for me. If you're not against paying for a client, zmud is great, been my favorite client. Should be a ton of scripts for it as well on the wotmudarchives forums. If you haven't seen it, try googling it I don't remember the url.

arston

Post by arston » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:22 pm

Quick clarification: there is a difference between paying for things with in real life money (big no-no, please don't do that in any way, shape, or form) and paying for things with in game money. As a merchant, Arston highly encourages you to spend all your gold on whatever you need in game. That being said my first couple months I spent forever trying to get someone to share a stat script with me for the 2,000 crowns I had saved up from killing thieves and stuff, and couldn't find anyone, and needed an example to go based off it. So like Asandra Sedai said its a great way to learn how triggers and lua code function so that you can start practicing customizing stuff, but there is a couple of basic things that you need to know be able to adapt things and get going. Since you are using mudlet these are the instructions for mudlet version 4.13.1:

start off by clicking the triggers button at the top of your page, then click the add group button, and then add item. name the group something like statting stuff, and put all your statting things into the same group (folder) so that it can be turned on or off easily.

in your new item, there are 4 places you can put things. Where it says "Name:" that is just a title for finding it in the folder, and has no impact on the trigger itself so name it whatever is descriptive of what that trigger will do

On the next line under item, there's a bunch of blank lines, each of those lines is what you want the trigger to respond to, so we can put "sapling is dead!" and the trigger will go off every time it sees the words sapling is dead! . Under the most basic construction this will currently also trigger anytime someone narrates "I can't wait till this sapling is dead!" since it is triggering any time it sees those words in that order no matter where its from, but giving how infrequently that happens we should be ok.

If all we want it to do is to send a generic command straight as if you typed it, then we dont have to code ANYTHING, we just go up to the top right and where it says "Command:" and type in "k tree" then save it, making sure that when you see this trigger on the left side of the screen it has a checkmark showing that it is active (you can turn the individual trigger on or off with the checkmark, or the entire group/folder on or off by double clicking it and adding/removing a padlock to it)

The trigger we made will keep on killing trees over and over every time one dies, but we will need to have it stop at level three. You can use the same process to have it initiate the trigger when you gain a level (you will need the exact line it gives you when this happens) and have it spit out "score" or "stat" depending on how you set it up. It's more beneficial to get practice making something that will work, so I will leave those specifics up to you.

The tricky one is whether to accept the stats or not, so that is one that you need and can adapt to your own preferences. the stat script needs to respond to Str:(\d+) Int:(\d+) Wil:(\d+) Dex:(\d+) Con:(\d+) where \d is the regex character for any digit, and + is the regex modifier to say that there might be one or any number of those (\d)'s after it, and to react to either. (we need this so that it will react to 9 wil or 18, has to respond to both 1 or 2 digits of imput).

Now because we are using regex to accept a variable input we HAVE to click the litter arrow by subscript and change it to perl regex (the blue one), or it wont recognize that you want the number when you put in (\d+) (also make sure you are using \ and not /). Also because we having it process variable things instead of sending out the same thing every time, then we cant just use the command: like we did earlier, we have to go the giant LUA code box below and write functions for what we want. which should look similar to this:

if( tonumber(matches[2]) < 18 or tonumber(matches[3]) + tonumber(matches[4])<28 or tonumber(matches[5]) <19 or tonumber(matches[6]) < 19) then

sendAll("dis","restat","k 2.sapling","k sapling")

end

This trigger will only keep your stats if its at least an 18 19 19 AND your mentals average at least 14 (add up to 28), otherwise it sets it to restat. You can change those numbers to what you want, group any of them how you want (for instance you may want to keep str+dex+con to be higher than 56 to keep any combination of 19 18 19 or 19 19 18 as well) the way it is written you can even add multiple if statements if you want to keep different conditions, as long as there is at least one end statement at the end for each if statement at the start, with the sendAll after all the if statements and before any of the ends.

to note, matches[2] is replaced to whatever was the first regex command in your prompt [in this case the (\d+) after the letters str:] so (\d+) was used to accept whatever value was found for your strength stat, then that value was saved in a temporary storage, and you can call that number anytime in your code using matches[2] and it will imput whatever number that was instead. matches[3] grabs the SECOND regex value, matches [4] grabbes the THIRD, and so on always needing one higher number in matches[] than the value you want. matches [1] is not used in here, I think I know what its used for but ive never had a need for it so i dont want to say anything quoteable in case im wrong.

Those are the basics you need in order to do your own stat script, with a bit of creativity in how you can get it to handle light sources, and mending if you dont want it to be interrupted by any of your other triggers. for your most simple one i would not even worry about mending, id just let it go with a poor condition weapon and check in on it/suicide more often to get fresh stuff.

If anyone good with words wants to take any of this info and state it better or put it in a better spot please feel free.

Locken

Post by Locken » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:00 pm

arston wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:22 pm
Quick clarification: there is a difference between paying for things with in real life money (big no-no, please don't do that in any way, shape, or form) and paying for things with in game money. As a merchant, Arston highly encourages you to spend all your gold on whatever you need in game. That being said my first couple months I spent forever trying to get someone to share a stat script with me for the 2,000 crowns I had saved up from killing thieves and stuff, and couldn't find anyone, and needed an example to go based off it. So like Asandra Sedai said its a great way to learn how triggers and lua code function so that you can start practicing customizing stuff, but there is a couple of basic things that you need to know be able to adapt things and get going. Since you are using mudlet these are the instructions for mudlet version 4.13.1:

start off by clicking the triggers button at the top of your page, then click the add group button, and then add item. name the group something like statting stuff, and put all your statting things into the same group (folder) so that it can be turned on or off easily.

in your new item, there are 4 places you can put things. Where it says "Name:" that is just a title for finding it in the folder, and has no impact on the trigger itself so name it whatever is descriptive of what that trigger will do

On the next line under item, there's a bunch of blank lines, each of those lines is what you want the trigger to respond to, so we can put "sapling is dead!" and the trigger will go off every time it sees the words sapling is dead! . Under the most basic construction this will currently also trigger anytime someone narrates "I can't wait till this sapling is dead!" since it is triggering any time it sees those words in that order no matter where its from, but giving how infrequently that happens we should be ok.

If all we want it to do is to send a generic command straight as if you typed it, then we dont have to code ANYTHING, we just go up to the top right and where it says "Command:" and type in "k tree" then save it, making sure that when you see this trigger on the left side of the screen it has a checkmark showing that it is active (you can turn the individual trigger on or off with the checkmark, or the entire group/folder on or off by double clicking it and adding/removing a padlock to it)

The trigger we made will keep on killing trees over and over every time one dies, but we will need to have it stop at level three. You can use the same process to have it initiate the trigger when you gain a level (you will need the exact line it gives you when this happens) and have it spit out "score" or "stat" depending on how you set it up. It's more beneficial to get practice making something that will work, so I will leave those specifics up to you.

The tricky one is whether to accept the stats or not, so that is one that you need and can adapt to your own preferences. the stat script needs to respond to Str:(\d+) Int:(\d+) Wil:(\d+) Dex:(\d+) Con:(\d+) where \d is the regex character for any digit, and + is the regex modifier to say that there might be one or any number of those (\d)'s after it, and to react to either. (we need this so that it will react to 9 wil or 18, has to respond to both 1 or 2 digits of imput).

Now because we are using regex to accept a variable input we HAVE to click the litter arrow by subscript and change it to perl regex (the blue one), or it wont recognize that you want the number when you put in (\d+) (also make sure you are using \ and not /). Also because we having it process variable things instead of sending out the same thing every time, then we cant just use the command: like we did earlier, we have to go the giant LUA code box below and write functions for what we want. which should look similar to this:

if( tonumber(matches[2]) < 18 or tonumber(matches[3]) + tonumber(matches[4])<28 or tonumber(matches[5]) <19 or tonumber(matches[6]) < 19) then

sendAll("dis","restat","k 2.sapling","k sapling")

end

This trigger will only keep your stats if its at least an 18 19 19 AND your mentals average at least 14 (add up to 28), otherwise it sets it to restat. You can change those numbers to what you want, group any of them how you want (for instance you may want to keep str+dex+con to be higher than 56 to keep any combination of 19 18 19 or 19 19 18 as well) the way it is written you can even add multiple if statements if you want to keep different conditions, as long as there is at least one end statement at the end for each if statement at the start, with the sendAll after all the if statements and before any of the ends.

to note, matches[2] is replaced to whatever was the first regex command in your prompt [in this case the (\d+) after the letters str:] so (\d+) was used to accept whatever value was found for your strength stat, then that value was saved in a temporary storage, and you can call that number anytime in your code using matches[2] and it will imput whatever number that was instead. matches[3] grabs the SECOND regex value, matches [4] grabbes the THIRD, and so on always needing one higher number in matches[] than the value you want. matches [1] is not used in here, I think I know what its used for but ive never had a need for it so i dont want to say anything quoteable in case im wrong.

Those are the basics you need in order to do your own stat script, with a bit of creativity in how you can get it to handle light sources, and mending if you dont want it to be interrupted by any of your other triggers. for your most simple one i would not even worry about mending, id just let it go with a poor condition weapon and check in on it/suicide more often to get fresh stuff.

If anyone good with words wants to take any of this info and state it better or put it in a better spot please feel free.
thanks arston, i'll try this out.

Mhaliah

Re: New player. (looking for a better stat script, than the one i'll frankenstien together))

Post by Mhaliah » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:13 pm

I just ask Adael... Queen's Guard perks. lol

Locken

Re: New player. (looking for a better stat script, than the one i'll frankenstien together))

Post by Locken » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:56 pm

Mhaliah wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:13 pm
I just ask Adael... Queen's Guard perks. lol
i did, he said he wanted to get around to making one one day, i bother him enough as it is though =p.

Asandra

Post by Asandra » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:12 am

To be fair, I have once shared my statting script a few years back, but it's not that user-friendly (need to edit in values for required stats). The person I shared it with ended up restatting a great char and was not happy. As a result, I'm not sharing that script anymore and still stand by my point that you better create one yourself.

To help you get started, create the following triggers:

When: "A sapling dies"
Do: Kill sapling

When: "You gain a level"
Do: stat

When: "Your base abilities" (this is a tricky part, you have to parse the line, but people on discord can help)
Do: Figure out if it's good
- if good: sleep, beep, sing a song, be happy
- if bad: restat;wield staff;kill sapling
--- CAN even have this just sleep and beep and sing a song at first anyway. Then you just have to do things every few minutes, THEN automate what you do.

Then if this is working with you watching you can add things for when your lantern runs out (or it's dark or whatever) and when you need to mend your staff, or when the saplings do run out and regrow etc.

But, my advice is: start small, work from there!

Protus

Post by Protus » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:12 pm

I use this script - http://www.wotmudarchives.org/forum/vie ... 2831#p2831

Its works fairly well and you can adjust some of the outdated parts of it.

If you dont use zmud I believe there are some statting scripts for the other clients there also.