Getting back into the game, queries

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
may72

Getting back into the game, queries

Post by may72 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi All

I played for a few years a very, very long time ago (from 2004 to 2007!) and briefly came back in 2016, but cancer got in the way.

I have time on my hands now to play a game again but after so long it has taken me 30 minutes to find tar valon, and another ten minutes to find the command to exit clan rent :D

I think for the moment i might start an alt and come back to my main character (yellow ajah) when i know my way around better.

Just wondering if anyone can offer some basic advice? i dont know whether i gave my gear away as well as my cash before i quit, but my bank is empty and i am naked- not even my ring on. Where is the best place to get basic gear/ money for a new player? Is it still best to start in caemlyn? and play a hunter for new players? (I had a rogue and hunter and a warrior! and even an mc and a seanchean but cant for life of me remember the log in names)

Also is the wiki the best resources for new players? although i have 300 days of gameplay logged im essentially back to stage 1.

Finally, although i am going to spend a week or two on a newbie hunter, i want to get back into clan stuff and rping eventually, can someone advise how i get access to the yellows board so i can catch up on whats happened in the last 13 years? :)

Thanks.
Ellie.

Weir

Re: Getting back into the game, queries

Post by Weir » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:20 pm

Welcome back!

1) Easiest thing for re-eq is to check barrels at city squares. After that killing lithe woman mobs (typically located not far from major cities) for a simple set as a starter, or asking someone to help kill one. Gear is pretty plentiful these days, if you just ask for help you will likely get it.

There is also now a market hall in Lugard, where you can spend money to buy most weapons/trinkets/armor. It can be fairly expensive starting from nothing, but learning easy money loads like the lithe women, brigands (like southeast of Whitebridge), etc., it can get you enough to buy some basics. You can also spend a larger chunk at once I believe at weary merchant mobs for a full basic set of various armor types (500 gc ish?).

2) wotmud.fandom.com is the wiki

Also read through the returning players thread for some of the major highlights:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4811

3) For forum access, make a forum account for the character name, then reach out to Vampa (on forums or in-game) or as Austin on the Discord server. The Discord server is also a great place to get questions answered quickly.

Weir

Post by Weir » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:22 pm

Also remember, pre-rolled stats exist now, and for Light Side the stats are very good (not perfect, but amazing to just create and go).

may72

Post by may72 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks for the response, i really appreciate it! i had forgotten about the barrels and will take a look.

Yes i will use a pre rolled for my new char, may has good stats anyway (i spent days with nadia & flarn? helping me stat to get mays good stats)

Im reading through the wiki now, its a little overwhelming but ill work it out

Thanks again.

Mhaliah

Post by Mhaliah » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:50 pm

If you see me on send me a tell. If you are dodge ill get you a set from weary.

may72

Post by may72 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:59 pm

Mhaliah wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:50 pm
If you see me on send me a tell. If you are dodge ill get you a set from weary.
Thanks, i will definitely do that

Alison

Post by Alison » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:21 am

The world is a lot different than 2007 era. When i saw your name online i was sure i knew you somehow.

Welcome back.

Everything with stars still want to kill everything with no stars. Remember that.

Oh. You missed the great channeler nerf hps. Dont explode in fear if your hps is lower. All channelers capped at 280 hps. Even dls.

Anything with a name like Siro. Expect the unexpected. Find the discord server. Its like home away from home. Someone post the link for her.
Siro is imm, Vampa is our new overlord. Or cookie master. Either works . You will like them. 8-)

may72

Post by may72 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:18 am

Alison wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:21 am
The world is a lot different than 2007 era. When i saw your name online i was sure i knew you somehow.

Welcome back.

Everything with stars still want to kill everything with no stars. Remember that.

Oh. You missed the great channeler nerf hps. Dont explode in fear if your hps is lower. All channelers capped at 280 hps. Even dls.

Anything with a name like Siro. Expect the unexpected. Find the discord server. Its like home away from home. Someone post the link for her.
Siro is imm, Vampa is our new overlord. Or cookie master. Either works . You will like them. 8-)
Thanks, You are right it is a different world, i am nervous about logging onto my main until i have done some basic mapping and
read the sedai user guide several times, i dont want to let the side down if called upon to RP - and havent done it for years and years . I dont know my way around at all (it took me ten minutes to work out the command to leave clan rent!)

Im sure the imms are great, i am much more mellow nowadays due to old age (i can remember being a bit of a nightmare towards the old imms when they insisted on a female strength malus as i insisted we should have an intelligence bonus :-)

Ive found discord, main thing i am desperate for is a client ideally with some maps, i downloaded mudlet but dont know if scripts exist?

El.

Aureus

Post by Aureus » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:51 pm

Adael has a great system and map for Mudlet:

https://github.com/weisluke/WoTMUD

Neveah

Post by Neveah » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:29 am

Hey! Just wanted to say welcome back and hope you're still kickin'. I'm newly returned from a long break myself. It's good to be back. :)