New channeler help

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Mantorok

New channeler help

Post by Mantorok » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:33 pm

I rolled a 12 19 19 18 14 fc, but I am hearing conflicting answers on whether to play that or not.

I get the str is really low, and I do have access to str teas with no worries, but I am trying to make my first channeler and am kinda shooting in the dark. What would be the pitfalls for a char like that"

Livae

Re: New channeler help

Post by Livae » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:42 am

You can be dodge/1handed staves or 2. Something that will balance of the low strength and teas will help a bit. Otherwise its a nice FC, although you will work around the weapon part to boost yourself in PK.

Illian is it? or Murandy et al.

Joolis

Post by Joolis » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:42 am

You should definitely not play it, since you can't zerk bash

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:14 pm

Illian yeah

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:07 pm

Ah, another question I have about beginning channelers.

What should I prac as a wilder as I level up, and how many pracs should I throw into weave types? I assume stuff like create food you just do one, since it isn't a critical weave, but what about anything else I might miss?

Thuvia

Post by Thuvia » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Do you plan to keep it as a wilder? If so, 4 Earth 3 Air 1 Fire 3 Water 3 Spirit will get you every unclanned weave. Remember to practice elements before weaves, to get the highest prac rates. You can play with pracs here:

http://www.wotmudarchives.org/tools/wtrainer.html

If you're going to clan tower and don't want to reprac, go ahead and get 7 Earth 4 Air 1 Fire 4 Water 3 Spirit. That will get stuff needed for Travel, a higher healing weave (cure serious), and most status ailments/cures. This won't get you flame strike (4 Fire) or Fireball (7 Fire), nor some of the more outlandish weaves like Hurricane or Whirlpool, but is still a solid base for an average char. Alot of it depends on your playstyle choice.

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:42 pm

So you're saying not to prac the weave itself until I get higher in the element? Oops.

Thuvia

Post by Thuvia » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Correct, you want to get your elements as high as you need to get the weaves you need, and then practice.

Of course, you can get some weaves before getting all elements. For instance, prac Spirit to 3 and you can go ahead and get Armor, etc.

There's no point in getting elements higher than what you need, as the increased cost to get higher elements is not justified by the small bonus to pracs.

Paigey

Post by Paigey » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:25 pm

I mastered on 12 17 17 17 15.

I really think there's something to be said for using a higher damage weapon (ie. a scimitar), but just an FYI - if you want to get named track then you are going to have to make real sacrifices in your weapons practice. When I was medium blades/ shields I suspect I had ..67 weapon and 87 shield - something pitiful like that.

I PKed for an extended period of time in the low 40s a few years ago - you'll have the vast majority of your spell practices by then. We're living in a 3x world though and I personally think the level of the average trolloc has increased. If you want to use status weaves you'll need to level up. That said - status weaves are intensely powerful against mobs.

Leveling and PKing are obviously 2 different beasts. If you reach the point where you say "I'm going to PK now" I really think you'll want to have 99ed your main weapon spells and refresh. Otherwise, I'd say enjoy the diversity of your practices. Get things to 90 and then move on.

Blind is incredibly useful for leveling. Thuvia probably knows more about this than I do, but I don't think I 99 status weaves (unless I want to at 51) - the most likely reason they fail isn't failing the spell because of practices - its the opponent resisting.

You can skip food, light, and create water if you want. If you skip them - cool, obviously you always have to carry those things. If you skimp on them you may eventually suffer the consequences of failing them over and over. How would you feel about failing a lightball 5-6 times in a row without a lantern. Skimp at your peril. On some of my characters I practiced around them to around 50 and what I found was that I needed to constantly stay on top of it because if they went out in PK I would be screwed.

Your best bet for levelling is probably a 2 handed stave + a master friend + pines.

Chill is going to be your best friend unless you clan tower. You just won't be able to stand up to anything in a melee without it.

Do not cast sonic boom as a human in a group who are riding or leading horses. As I recall, if the humans are grouped with you they'll stay in your group, but the horses won't in the group and will be hit. The horses may attempt to attack their own riders and this dismounts the group members who may be pitted against their own horse. This is one of those spells darkside can run wild with because they don't have horses, but destroys humans unless the FC is leading a dismounted group (when would that happen).

Terha

Post by Terha » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:57 am

Well, I'm known wilder fc. And i pk a lot. So i can say advices.

Physical: 2h parry weapon are useful only for chars with 15+ str , each -1 str on top parry 2h weapon (sungwood staff, i&g sword) is like -10pb, while 1handed is like -1pb, and shield parry is based on dexterity. Thuvia's prac trainers will help you a lot: http://www.wotmudarchives.org/tools/ptrainer.html. From my sight only 1h medblade and 1h staves are useful for you. In pracs focus on sparry rather on weapon. Keep dodge as max as possible. Ride 4 lvl, search ... 1 prac or 50+, notice 90+, survival 2 lvl.
To exp channelers i used only whips/flails+sparry. It is boring to exp channeler at all, and multihit weapon helps a lot. Shambok and firedrop (you can buy it in TV bladeshop) for parry and db flail (you can get it from mine overlords) for damage.
If you go medblades, Miloh gives razored falcata for quest, and BE weapon shop sells plain curved blade(poor damage medblade with heron parry)
Overall defense with prac you chose you can see again in excellent Thuvia's eq trainer: http://www.wotmudarchives.org/tools/etrainer.html

Channeler: Thuvia wrote right: 4 Earth 3 Air 1 Fire 3 Water 3 Spirit, with it you will have all unclanned weaves accessable, and with 19 int you will have almost all unclanned weaves praced. Personally i have ice spikes,call lightning,chill,change weather,refresh 99% and other weaves at 90+, just look again at Thuvia's excellent prac trainer: http://www.wotmudarchives.org/tools/wtrainer.html

Hail Thuvia!