Smobbing for newbies

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Teor

Smobbing for newbies

Post by Teor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Smob= super mob
Smobbing= killing a boss of a bandit group for gear and coin

All you need for smobbing is a warrior at minimum level 20 but i think most would prefer level 25-30. The prerolledstats is perfect for this.

Come prepared!
The more prepared you are, the easier it is for the rest of the group and the leader to keep you alive.

Pracs should be something like absweapon 99, bash 99, ride/survival lvl 6, notice 93, leftover in attack. Get as much abs as possible, and as good a weapon as possible of either longblades, axes, clubs or polearms (halberd).
Of abs and weapon, abs is the most important.
A good basic abs set and its upgrades looks something like this:

coif- visor
oiled sleeves- ebony vambraces
burnished plate- shining breastplate
steel gauntlets- full metal gauntlets
oiled leggings- ebony greaves
thin metal boots- thick metal boots

in your backpack you should have:
a waterskin
butchering dagger
3 dinner meals
4 lanterns

Try to find a warhorse, bloodstock or domani razor. There is also horse equipment to get but thats not strictly necesarry.
In 4k (west of caemlyn) there is a rename service:
find the stables, and say rename warhorse horsename
then all you need while in a smob group is an alias to ride horsename. If you buy a warhorse, buy warhorse 'name' and you get a named horse.

Horsenumbers:
All horsenumbers are counted from the bottom up when you view the group command. It looks as follows:
Leader 5.horse
follower 4.horse
follower 3.horse
follower 2.horse
follower 1.horse

The leader is always on the highest numbered horse. Horsenumbers can get mixed up by people leaving and entering the room while riding or leading horse as the horse that enters the room last is always the first horse. So try to minimize leaving your group. Pay attention when to dismount and when to ride.

Targeting:
When you are outside the room the main boss is in, the leader will call out the target. This means he will for example say k smob. Your task is then to have an alias ready (alias k k smob) and hit k smob the moment your group goes in.
Common targets can be:
Minion
Smob
brigand
bandit
man

It isn't necesarry to have all the targets in an alias, but you can have an alias you redesignate fast. To clear an alias (like alias k k smob) type alias k.
Useful aliases for a smob trip:
alias v k smob
alias k k minion
alias a assist leader
alias ri ride horsename (or horsenumber)

Last, if its your first smobtrip, talk to the leader. But if you are well prepared it will be easier to keep you alive. Also remember to have fun!
PS: oldbies on a warrior playing from a cellphone are also welcome, but it helps if you are also prepared in the same way. The aliases are easy for this reason.

- Teor

Narbo

Re: Smobbing for newbies

Post by Narbo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:33 pm

Teor wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:23 pm
PS: oldbies on a warrior playing from a cellphone are also welcome, but it helps if you are also prepared in the same way. The aliases are easy for this reason.

- Teor
I thought I was the only true mobile warrior around here. Who's trying to muscle in on my turf? :evil:

Aloisa

Post by Aloisa » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:27 am

Literally took me years of playing to learn all this. Thanks for putting it in one place.

Shiva

Post by Shiva » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:06 am

Teor wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Last, if its your first smobtrip, talk to the leader. But if you are well prepared it will be easier to keep you alive. Also remember to have fun!

- Teor
This might be the single best piece of advice I would ever recommend to anyone starting out smobbing with a group. From a personal perspective it allows me to set my expectations of what my group can or cannot do regarding smobs and potential pk during our adventures. It means I can tell the guy or girl in my group who I feel is the most competent to protect you or get you to safety should things go wrong. Every little bit helps.

ALWAYS talk with the leader if you are new to smobbing!

Cindy

Post by Cindy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:00 am

First, that's a great instruction guide!

Not wanting to start a debate, just want to know if I missed something.
You said get notice to 93, what happened to getting notice to 86?

Maeglin

Post by Maeglin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:31 am

Cindy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:00 am
First, that's a great instruction guide!

Not wanting to start a debate, just want to know if I missed something.
You said get notice to 93, what happened to getting notice to 86?
http://forums.wotmud.info/viewtopic.php?f=7 ... ail#p26764
"Notice
%" "Diagnose
target" "max fails
in a row"
85 2.00% lots
88 0.50% lots
89 2.00% lots
90 3.50% lots
91 5.50% lots
92 9.00% 56
93 12.50% 18
94 20.00% 28
95 26.00% 15
96 25.00% 14
97 32.00% 12
98 42.00% 9
99 47.50% 5

"Notice
%" "Diagnose
h.target" Sample Size
85 98% 100
88 99% 200
89 100% 400
90 100% 400
91 100% 400
The 93 prob comes from the dia target study. I get 89-93% depending on how pracs fall. 89 being the break point for dia h.tgt to not fail. There's still a lot of lost study/information from when this change happened.

Raeza

Post by Raeza » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:38 am

For info:

There is also a smobbing guide (not written by me) on the Wiki (which could always be updated with new or improved information, like the horse-naming possibility ;) ;) )

https://wotmud.fandom.com/wiki/Smobbing