Restatting a player

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
byrg

Re: Restatting a player

Post by byrg » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:57 pm

Ominas wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:35 pm
Henceforth I shall join you and we will smite logic in it’s stupid freaking face.
LLAMA REMORTS?!

Octavio

Post by Octavio » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:12 am

Not fretting about the warrant per se, just the fact that "we have no hard and fast rules" point of this. It almost impossible to have hard and fast rules in this game because it might offend one favorite player or another. The initial question was answered and the follow up had to do with Elysia's reply
Elysia wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:12 pm
However, perma-warrants have to be earned, so there will always be the recourse of proving you're another person and then getting a pardon.
The follow-up was really very simple. Is a channeler warrant considered a permanent warrant when given by CoL?

Given the response provided it would be simple to say that a CoL warrant IS a permanent warrant, as the ONLY way to remove it is to have your character stilled. As a player you only have two choices...still your player, making them basically unplayable, or delete it and start over. By saying that warrants transcend the characters complete deletion from the game seems a bit out there.

Either restarting a player with the same name creates an entirely new player...or it doesn't. And while I get that "Deletion and re-creating was never intended as a clean slate. Neither is deleveling and re-statting" in the case I present it seems that you can either make CoL warrants removable without stilling the channeler, or you have to allow for a deletion and recreation of that player. You cannot have it both ways.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:25 am

We are having it both ways.

If you're a channeler, you 'deserve' that *oL warrant, anyway. Hence the comment of if you want an unknown channeler, use a new name. Since you can get rid of a warrant if you're a fc, through stilling, we don't consider that permanent. Especially considering there is a mechanism to undo stilling, at a price.

Either way, you do always have an undertone of 'something unfair is being done to me' and you tend to find a great many more things unfair than the average player.

I've had characters warranted for being speedy horse hoppers. So what? With every door that closes, another one opens.

Dartes

Post by Dartes » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am

I'm confused. If you have a channeler that was validly found out to be a channeler by CoL (i.e. they saw you channel), and them being the clan that warrants all channelers and banishes all channeling in the nation of Amadicia, why would you have any expectation to ever have it removed?

Warrants from any other clan you shouldn't have any problem applying for a pardon.

Octavio

Post by Octavio » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:59 am

Elysia wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:25 am
Either way, you do always have an undertone of 'something unfair is being done to me' and you tend to find a great many more things unfair than the average player.

So much for personal attacks not being allowing in the mud. I guess the rules are different if you're an Imm.

To clarity, I want the rules to be the same for everyone, not just the personal favorites of whatever Imm is in charge this year.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:11 am

If you find that a personal attack, then I think that is part of the problem. You always have been unusually touchy.

As for whatever imm is in charge, most things are decided by committee by all Staff, so playing favorites doesn't really happen. If anything, imms expect people we know to play by a higher standard. And for those we don't know, it's the opposite: everyone's equal, until someone proves they are a repeat jerk and they become less than equal.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:51 am

Octavio wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:12 am
Not fretting about the warrant per se, just the fact that "we have no hard and fast rules" point of this. It almost impossible to have hard and fast rules in this game because it might offend one favorite player or another.
I think there's no hard and fast rule because it's such a contextual edge case though, not because someone is being favorited. What character is avoiding warrants because they are imm friendly? Kind of a big accusation to level. There's probably no written rule because it just hasn't come up much.
The follow-up was really very simple. Is a channeler warrant considered a permanent warrant when given by CoL?
If you've got a channeler named Nancy, warranted by CoL, and you delete and re-create a channeler named Nancy... then yeah that smacks of just trying to avoid warrants and it'll likely come back. If you're making a warrior named Nancy just tell them so, whether RPishly or not.

What is the issue, exactly? Just that there is no written rule?

It's contextual. If, as you said on the Discord, it's a *different* character with *different* RP and even a *different* class, well I can't speak for anyone but myself but yeah the 'old' warrants attached to the name are irrelevant. If you're just going for a game-y warrant wipe then I'll stick it right back on and Bob's your uncle.

e: Like, is the issue that you have a channeler with a questionable character history but a name you're wanting to re-use and you're wanting to not get slammed with warrants as soon as you're level 1?

Amria

Post by Amria » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:33 am

Hence the entire reason I posted asking, what is the issue with a chaneller char having a col warrant.
I'm really curious to figure out what's up with the question Octavio, trying to understand.
What importance is a COL warrant on a channeler, surely the channeler doesn't care if they can or cannot go into Amador, since their kind is not welcome

Kali

Post by Kali » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:12 am

I guess the issue is if the channeler doesn't want to be 'out' kind of like how some male channelers play under the radar. Or if this person was playing a non FC class after deleting his FC. Frankly I would pick a Flippin new name already and not sweat the small stuff.

Atienne

Post by Atienne » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:42 am

This is only a problem when the name was a previously unsavory player. Years ago, I statted a character named Gaius, unaware that there was also a *oL with the same name that apparently had QUITE a history. I was offered a name change, probably because that character was considered part of the history of the world in game.

The whole thing reeks of a way to get around permanent warrants or otherwise avoid having to do pardon quests while increasing your stats or changing your class. If Vayus deleted, and a different player restatted him, we probably wouldn't have any issues because Vayus was universally loved. But if the same thing happened to Vaylor, everyone knows he is a *oL. Why would it be anything different than if someone who DIDN'T delete went on a very long break? I suppose you could argue that if you come back with this "fresh" character, you may endure some suspicions as people think you are that guy, but with roleplay over time you could change people's understanding of this "fresh" character.

More likely, people tend to remember bad things and refuse to forgive, rather than simply let it go. I would avoid restatting hated names unless you are a glutton for punishment. There is always the option, at Staff discretion, to offer name changes for these characters, such as what happened to the Gaius I statted.

Certain names should just be locked for historical purposes, IMO. If Atienne ever deletes, he should just be retired, and if I (the player) come back and want to take over for him again, then I would be the only one able to do so. Not sure how you would even do that. It would probably require coding. It's probably not an issue with newer created characters, with EXP being so easy now. Some ways to lock would maybe be when you hit a certain threshold of QPs or TPs, even if you go below it. We already have rerolls offered for subpar stats and most of the people who recreated got that out of the way.