How feasible would it be for mud output to list things in Discord?

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Elysia

How feasible would it be for mud output to list things in Discord?

Post by Elysia » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 am

Yesterday, there were 10 DS on and 5 LS. That wasn't going anywhere, so to speak. Imo the numbers thing on the webpage was a great help in people not accidentally piling on to the same side.

It's obvious that Discord can handle input from outside, as it takes things from forums and previously the numbers on the website.

How feasible would it be for players to have a script on their clients that uploads the amount of players on their side when they type who and uploads it to Discord, where a bot would take over and post it. On a separate channel, if need be.

On top of that conundrum, the script would likely have to be written for 3 or more clients (Cmud, Mudlet and Zmud are the most used, I think?) and it might be necessary to have it not fire when people are below healthy, to rule out lag when they are fighting and hit who to see if anyone is on to help.

And that's my out of the box post for the day... :idea:

Naerin

Re: How feasible would it be for mud output to list things in Discord?

Post by Naerin » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:58 am

Check whether someone is healthy - easy
Capture the number of players from the output of the 'who' command - easy
Uploading to Discord - probably the trickiest part, might need to play around with this some.

Discord uses Webhooks to automate posting things, so my guess is you'd need to create a HTTP POST request somehow - or use an intermediary that you sent things to using the #URL command (for Zmud, guessing Cmud has a similar function) and that was retrieved by the Discord bot.

kattin

Post by kattin » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:29 pm

ask stark.

Khahliana

Post by Khahliana » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:30 pm

Also should probably be limited to once every 30 minutes or an hour from any particular individual. Bored people tend to spam who list.

Maegon

Post by Maegon » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Not just bored people. I used to spam where/who all the time out of some bad habit.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:01 pm

I feel not *not* spamming who/where is a great way to get stabbed by someone like Boboliosie!

Atienne

Post by Atienne » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Maegon wrote:Not just bored people. I used to spam where/who all the time out of some bad habit.
bad habit of not getting jumped? :P

isabel

Post by isabel » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:57 pm

Spamming who won't matter if it's a separate channel, and the more frequent the better. 30 mins is pointless :p

Elysia this is one of the best ideas everrrrrrr .. seriously!! I think more than zone changes or eq or whatever, number ridiculousness is what messes up pk fun the most. Plus this way we can even pick who to PK with/against based on who is more fun to PK with/against.

Aldevir

Post by Aldevir » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:48 pm

Naerin wrote:Check whether someone is healthy - easy
Capture the number of players from the output of the 'who' command - easy
Uploading to Discord - probably the trickiest part, might need to play around with this some.

Discord uses Webhooks to automate posting things, so my guess is you'd need to create a HTTP POST request somehow - or use an intermediary that you sent things to using the #URL command (for Zmud, guessing Cmud has a similar function) and that was retrieved by the Discord bot.
I think Naerin's suggestion is your best / easiest option. A quick search looks like URL can be used to post data like they said, but I can't confirm from work. Assuming that is an option, it would be fairly easy to make a script to take the "who" results and send them to a Discord webhook.

Alternatively, you could create a script to write your "who" results to a .txt file on your computer. Have a really simple intermediary program that watches for said file to be modified. Whenever the file is modified your intermediary will take the content of it and POST it to your Discord webhook. This would be very similar to what some people will do for games like Ark where it doesn't have built-in functionality to send the Tribe logs to a Discord Webhook. This would be more appropriate for use by an Immortal, or if some kind of service account was created that remained logged in with a tic timer inputting "who" at whatever interval you chose.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:38 pm