Shocklance stats

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Ragyn

Shocklance stats

Post by Ragyn » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Since the weapon's thread is locked, but it seems that some weapons are being looked at - most recent the silver plated/brass hilted - I was wondering if the shocklance could be looked at. In the current meta of the game shocklance simply doesn't perform on par with how rare it is and how other rares perform. Its weight is so light that the bash is unreliable against anything but absers, even against absers it still doesn't land on a decent %. The OB is subpar compared to other setups that traditionally does not bash, ie fencing blades/sblade and these have the added attack which makes them very worthwhile despite not being able to bash with any consistency. It is basically just a channeler weapon these days, which is a shame as it seems shockers are one of the rares that are collecting the most dust in various rents.

So I propose either upping the OB by a 5-7 points to put it on par with fencing/sblade OB or upping the weight to 10 lbs so it is similar to that of the Jade Partisan, the unique counter-part. Jade partisan is actually a great weapon now after it had its weight upped so it can bash abs/combo somewhat reliably without being able to sit dodge. A lot of shocklances were supposedly loaded during this Christmas, yet they don't seem to be used at all. It is my hope that if the shocklance gets a much needed buff either to its OB or to its weight it will make it worthwhile using them as a nonchanneler and that we will see them being used a lot more.

Just some thoughts on a fun weapon that doesn't perform too well in the current meta of dodge not being untouchable:)

Atienne

Re: Shocklance stats

Post by Atienne » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:08 pm

I agree. I've pked a few times with one and it was overall meh. The defense is nice, but you still lose a fight unless you spam flee around / get a charge off. More OB and or weight would be nice.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Yeah, they're a worse channie weapon than the obsidian staff and as a hunter weapon they're subpar to fencing blades or other charge setups. My suggestion is

+5 OB and up their damage to 6d7

Delion

Post by Delion » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:06 pm

Shocklance 6d7 riding, 85ob 95 pb, can charge

Obsidian 5d6, 88 ob 97 pb

Wouldn't really call it a worse channie weapon

Upping it to 6d7 base would make it 7d7 riding, which seems a tad much.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:18 pm

the staff weighs less and has more defense, hence a better channie weapon

and yes, the idea would be to make the shocker one of the highest damage rares (when riding) since it currently doesn't stand out in any way -- it's just a decent defense weapon with good damage that charges, but can't bash. I'd always thought it *was* one of the highest damage rares

anyhow, I'm not married to the idea, maybe that would be making it too powerful, but I do agree that the shocker could use some kind of upping. Maybe upping the OB is the answer

Eol

Post by Eol » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:50 pm

Neither here nor there, but I do recall a shocklance occasionally being used as part of a two weapon combination by certain fades. This makes me semi skeptical about large scale increases in the damage department. Making changes that increase the overall functionality of the weapon seem preferable to changes that highlight only specific aspects of the weapon which potentially allow two weapon characters like a fade to move between both weapons exploiting the best parts of each one...

Ragyn

Post by Ragyn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:07 am

I mean that can be said for every weapon, you can mix and match as you want, tradeoff is that you lose 2x weapons, unless your point is that shocklance is a stellar secondary weapon, which is why I would want to have it buffed up a bit so it can become a stellar primary weapon. However I do agree I don't think damage needs upped. Personally I think adding weight to the spear would be the best solution, similar to how Jade Partisan went from a kind of shabby unique to a very viable one by upping its weight from 3 or 6? lbs to 10. The other option of adding a 5-7 ob to it would just be to increase your chances of breaking combo in this day and age where everyone is running around with more or less perfect sets, making the shocklance viable for nonmasters as well. From memory a 19str/99% spears brave offensive mounted master pulls around 201-203 in a heavycombo setup, compared to sblade/fblade that pulls somewhere from 200-210 OB.

Rig

Post by Rig » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:00 am

I wouldn't bring race and class discussion into the argument as it makes no sense. Fact of the matter is that besides the dmg it's pretty meh. 10 more ob would be great. Or 5 ob and 5 lbs.

Neveyan

Post by Neveyan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:43 am

Changing stats wont really make much difference to the fact its sitting idle in peoples rent I think...

Eol

Post by Eol » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:41 am

Pretty sure I'm agreeing with you Ragyn - Make it functional as a primary weapon.

That said, depending on what you are aiming for it takes quite a bit of weight to make something bash Dodge. An imaginary mounted 210 ob, 150 ob really doesn't bash 130 db until like ..11 lbs and I made those stats up at random.

Also, I am ignoring Rig because his silver sword modification is not in line with other weapons! Stop breaking the game Rig 8-)