Wiki theory: Smobs, mini-Smobs, and City Heads

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Taziar

Wiki theory: Smobs, mini-Smobs, and City Heads

Post by Taziar » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:36 pm

Designing a new table that dynamically loads information about a smob from that smob’s page has brought up some questions as how the community would best like the information presented.

https://wotmud.fandom.com/wiki/Smob

The main table shows name, level, channel, charge, stab, throw, and zone. Any ideas or suggestions to add to, remove, or change any of the fields?

The main question that arises is what dictates the definitions between full and mini smob? Should each category (smob, mini, city) have its own table or place all inside a single table?

Thank you in advance for any feedback! The old smob table is at the bottom of the new table for the time being as we are in the process of reverifying all of the data... any help in that regard is also greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Taziar Medakan

Skadi

Re: Wiki theory: Smobs, mini-Smobs, and City Heads

Post by Skadi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:48 pm

Biggest thing I always want to know that isn't listed - is there any mobol that triggers on something (especially weaves and bashes) that potential smobbers should know about? A bunch of smobs either direcly punish you for bashing or punish you for missing a bash, and I think that's important to capture.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:46 am

Skadi wrote:Biggest thing I always want to know that isn't listed - is there any mobol that triggers on something (especially weaves and bashes) that potential smobbers should know about? A bunch of smobs either direcly punish you for bashing or punish you for missing a bash, and I think that's important to capture.
That kind of information is too large to put in a table, each smob page has a “strategy” section for that kind of stuff.

Skurk

Post by Skurk » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:48 am

Maybe a difficulty level? Don't know if it would be useful cause Im not experienced with smobs, like maybe different smobs are different depending on group composition, but just an idea.

Thanks for looking after the wiki by the way - I spend a lot of time there.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:14 am

Skurk wrote:Maybe a difficulty level? Don't know if it would be useful cause Im not experienced with smobs, like maybe different smobs are different depending on group composition, but just an idea.

Thanks for looking after the wiki by the way - I spend a lot of time there.
We have a difficulty level on the old version of the Smob page list at the bottom of the smob page, and the reason I removed it in the new version is due the the fact that it is quite arbitrary. What is easy for a group with three female channelers might be difficult for five non-channeler characters, not to mention alternate ways of killing them like stab, flee hitting, channeling, etc..

All of the information so far on the table is based on facts that can be tested. The table, I think, should be more of a fact sheet to look at quickly with clickable links to more in-depth information on the Smob's page and the Zone page where it is located.

Thank you Skadi and Skurk for the ideas, keep them coming :)

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:41 am

It may end up being 5 tables total: Smob, Mini-Smob, City Head, Holiday, and Out of Game....

Treach

Post by Treach » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:49 am

Instead of having 5 tables you could add another column and title it something like 'chain'. Then you could put Malkier smob chain or north mini smob chain next to each relevant smob. Then you could sort by that column and easily group the chains to access each smobs information.

Skadi

Post by Skadi » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:31 am

Taziar wrote:
Skadi wrote:Biggest thing I always want to know that isn't listed - is there any mobol that triggers on something (especially weaves and bashes) that potential smobbers should know about? A bunch of smobs either direcly punish you for bashing or punish you for missing a bash, and I think that's important to capture.
That kind of information is too large to put in a table, each smob page has a “strategy” section for that kind of stuff.
Why is it too large? This is a high-level table. I’m not looking for an in-depth explanation of the mechanics, something like a “Mobol?” column with anti-stab, anti-charge, anti-channel, anti-bash, anti-master mob as possible values would suffice. If I’m really curious about the nature of a particular smob’s anti bash mobol, I can look at the strategy page.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:46 pm

Skadi wrote:
Taziar wrote:
Why is it too large? This is a high-level table. I’m not looking for an in-depth explanation of the mechanics, something like a “Mobol?” column with anti-stab, anti-charge, anti-channel, anti-bash, anti-master mob as possible values would suffice. If I’m really curious about the nature of a particular smob’s anti bash mobol, I can look at the strategy page.
The reason I thought it is too large is because I didn't think the varying mobol "anti" mechanics were exact enough to place under specific terms like you listed. Currently the stab, charge, and channel field could account for "anti" mobol in their fields. This leaves bash and master mob unaccounted? Are there other mobol types that could be explained in a concise manner? Also, each field must be added to the smob's infobox and the data entered there for the table to pull from, so work load starts to be a concern at some point. Would a bash field be too redundant? Also, not having a master mob I don't know or have any data on the wiki I don't think to accurately add information since the changes to master mobs and their specific "anti" mobol. So any info on that would be great, but isn’t every smob anti master mob now with the reduced rewards when using them?

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:26 am

Since we already had a field on all smob pages called "Special" and it includes information similar to what Skadi and Treach suggested I added it to the Smob table. Will be going over the different entries in the special notation and try to put together a list of all the different types. Work in progress. Keep any ideas and suggestions coming :)