combo hunter suggestions

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
isabel

combo hunter suggestions

Post by isabel » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:00 pm

reallly want to play my hunter because i MISS autotrack and generally hunter stuff, but I used to only play abs hunters, and my char is 18 19 19, so every time i see it i feel like I should make the 19 dex do something! But I don't know what to prac. Can someone suggest a setup? The re-eq should be non-rares and easyish - and no micro/double weapons. Thank you in advance!

Occum

Re: combo hunter suggestions

Post by Occum » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:01 pm

Bone clubs seems to be pretty solid atm. Scimitar is the only 1h longblade I would suggest. Other than that barbed trident seems ok. Also bt isnt bad to reequip

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Bone club is definitely the best non rare combo weapon. Barbed can bash solid but the defense is trash. Scimitar has ok def and nice damage but bash sucks. If you’re gonna go Spears the gold spear is pretty sweet.

Eol

Post by Eol » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Essentially almost all non-rare combo weapons currently require you to make a tough choice/settle

-Tridents: the defense is terrible. You can practice them to 99% (along with bash/dodge/etc and get great practices in your ranger skill set and maybe pick) but ultimately you'll have settled for a less capable weapon when you potentially could have picked something better and not 99%ed your practices or gotten the non-combat skill diversity. Barbed can bash dodge. In parry dodge (Orma + dodge trinkets) you are still looking at a little over 150 PB with 19 STR.

-Bone club: I think this is the most versatile non-rare in the game at present. PB is significantly better than I remember it being 10 years ago. The dice are 4d9 which is interesting - low hits are obviously possible but that really does allow a good spread. Most of the low tier rares are 6d6 so you are still in their neighborhood cause both max at 36. It can bash dodge though its worth running your numbers the bash calculator so you understand how it will perform against dreadlord dodge + armor if you are berserk or dismounted.

-Blades: Silver sword probably outclasses scimitar. Put these into the bash calculator and they still are not going to bash dodge of any significant amount.

-Saw axe - terrible. Outclassed by scimitar in every way. I've been meaning to write a post about this, but Imms should probably swap some of the characteristics between saw and serrated axe to differentiate this from 1-handed scimitar.

-Steel lance: Deserves a mention since its 16 lbs and 6d6. That said - it gives zero PB. Obviously it charges which can create opportunities. With perfect stats, rank 7, and near perfect gear you can hit like 100db/150pb wimpy/defensive in combo. I don't think this can be used in combo as a non-master cause the PB is just too low.

The new rares - haven't played any yet, but the 1 handed axe looks pretty interesting especially considering it doesn't require any angreal. The problem is if you lose it you don't have a viable alternative cause saw axe is dreadful. Sharp longsword is pretty similar but requires a jcuff and the step down options are still pretty meh - silver sword outclasses almost all of the longs ie. I&G, brass, etc.

Bragar

Post by Bragar » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:15 pm

No one mentioning mahogs or scourge. Think they are underrated.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:41 pm

The issue with those bragar is they’re much much less useable on a non master

isabel

Post by isabel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:35 pm

thanks so much..this was really helpful!

from memory btw trident bash was SO bad. i used to like tridents but i swore off them after the changes.

Loving the idea of 1h lances though hah. I did that by mistake(because i messed up pracs)f or 1 set of pracs and it was actually Loads of fun. DIdn't know about leatherleaf though! Might try that out.

Thank you :)

Shiva

Post by Shiva » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:42 pm

isabel wrote:thanks so much..this was really helpful!

from memory btw trident bash was SO bad. i used to like tridents but i swore off them after the changes.

Loving the idea of 1h lances though hah. I did that by mistake(because i messed up pracs)f or 1 set of pracs and it was actually Loads of fun. DIdn't know about leatherleaf though! Might try that out.

Thank you :)
The new midrare razor sword

Bone club

Scourge

Silver plated

Those are my go to combo 1h weapons. Use starks playground of bash to get a bit of an idea on how they fare vs different dodge amounts. Seeing as you are a bg youll likely be taking on trollocs in dodge so I would be testing it against 140-147 DB as most of your opponents in decent kits are going to fall into that range. There will be a few outliers like the DL class players or rogues in top top end kits. I can think of a handful that are at that 150db mark or better.

It should give you a bit of an idea. I think the main thing to keep in mind is that you really will feel that diminished bash having been primarily a basher who has used abs, as long as you are cool with that you'll enjoy the increased survivability and the less attrition of hp based combat.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Mental to go stab?