Optimized Practice Weave Trainer?

The place with help files for new players, weapon and equipment stats and other pertinent information for players of all levels and experience.
averi

Optimized Practice Weave Trainer?

Post by averi » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:54 pm

Updated Link:
https://wotcode.azurewebsites.net/weaves

New weave trainer I created that is inspired by Thuvia's (reuses some of the same algorithms). However, this version does not make the assumption that we should practice all our elements first and foremost. The theory is that we can get better % and occasionally use less practices by mixing the elements up a bit. The weave trainer does all the work in this respect, you just enter the % you'd like to have it and it decides what is most optimal.

Need your guys help testing this out. Let me know if this is actually works or not. Also, if this thing runs too slow on your computer or freezes up (it can be a bit demanding in some circumstances), then slightly adjust the complexity slider downwards.

The UI is a little unrefined, I plan on improving UI in future if this thing pans out. In the UI there is a baseline field, this represents the practices you would have spent if you had practiced all the elements up front, as is typically done. Its just there so you can compare the new method vs. the old method at a glance, and determine if you saved any practices.

After you click calculate at the bottom of the page, it outputs all the commands for you to copy and paste into the mud. The reason for this is because of conveniance obviously, but also because its much more difficult to manage the practice order with the added intricacies, elements will be interspersed between weaves at difficult to predict intervals.

EDIT:

Here is an example of how it works. Imagine this scenario: you have 18 intelligence and are unclanned, and you want to practice both ice spikes and chill.

If you practice 3 water 3 air upfront, then practice chill, you will get:
- A3 W3 17 34 46 55 64 70 76 82 85 88 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
Notice this practice chain lands on 91% which is actually one of the worst outcomes, because every practice after 91 is just 1% more.

Now, compare this practice chain:
- A3 W2 16 W1 33 45 54 63 69 75 81 84 87 90 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
We land on 90% instead of 91% which is preferrable because the next practices takes us from 90% to 93%
Last edited by averi on Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

toshiro

Re: Optimized Practice Weave Trainer?

Post by toshiro » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:35 pm

I don't play fc's, and I didn't know that this kind of thing was possible, but I do love optimization algorithms. Very cool work!! :)

Thore

Post by Thore » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:48 am

This should not be a thing. :P But thanks.

averi

Post by averi » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:53 pm

Have confirmed this works, in game, for the example given above. Also confirmed this saves 1 practice versus the traditional methodology.

prac
You have got 24 spell practice sessions left.
You can practice elements, but they become increasingly costly.
You can practice all non-element flows at a cost of 1:
earth Level 0 ( 0%)
air Level 0 ( 0%)
fire Level 0 ( 0%)
water Level 0 ( 0%)
spirit Level 0 ( 0%)

prac water
You practice for a while...
You now have 14% knowledge of this weave and 22 spell practice sessions left.

prac water
You now have 28% knowledge of this weave and 18 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 16% knowledge of this weave and 17 spell practice sessions left.

prac water
You now have 42% knowledge of this weave and 11 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 33% knowledge of this weave and 10 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 45% knowledge of this weave and 9 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 54% knowledge of this weave and 8 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 63% knowledge of this weave and 7 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 69% knowledge of this weave and 6 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 75% knowledge of this weave and 5 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 81% knowledge of this weave and 4 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 84% knowledge of this weave and 3 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 87% knowledge of this weave and 2 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 90% knowledge of this weave and 1 spell practice sessions left.

prac chill
You now have 93% knowledge of this weave and 0 spell practice sessions left.

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:10 pm

averi wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:54 pm
http://wotstat.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com/weaves.html

If you practice 3 water 3 air upfront, then practice chill, you will get:
- A3 W3 17 34 46 55 64 70 76 82 85 88 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
Notice this practice chain lands on 91% which is actually one of the worst outcomes, because every practice after 91 is just 1% more.

Now, compare this practice chain:
- A3 W2 16 W1 33 45 54 63 69 75 81 84 87 90 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
We land on 90% instead of 91% which is preferrable because the next practices takes us from 90% to 93%
Nice resource.

Be aware this is only savings at certain points where want to go over 90% in a weave.
Bolded above is 11 pracs in chill, elements first is 91%, staggered elements is only 90%. If you go 12 pracs then the staggered elements gains more.

Unless you are going above 90%(the point primaries drop to 1% gains) elements first is always better total return per point. Trainer will try and hit any value you enter less than that and lose you efficiency. Very good tool for primary combat spells and locate/travel.

averi

Post by averi » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:58 pm

This is intended to be more of an endgame trainer, ideally to be used at Level 51, when you more or less know exactly where you want all your FINAL practices to fall percentage-wise.

You tell it exactly what target % you'd like to have, and it finds the most optimal route to get at LEAST the % that you've specified... its first concern is minimizing practice cost to attain your target %. In the event of a tie, then its second concern is maximizing %.

-------------------------

It can still save practices below 90%, depending on how you look at things. For example, (18 intelligence, 0 rank) you specify that you want 85% blind, and you're also going to practice incinerate. Because of incinerate your total elements would be 7 earth, 7 fire, 7 spirit.

Now if you practiced all your elements first then practiced blind, then you'd get:
- E7; F7; S7; 27%; 47%; 62%; 72%; 82%; 87%... you stop here because you've achieved your target of 85% blind. That's 6 practices consumed.

But if you practiced in this order instead:
- E6; F6; S7; 26%; 45%; E1; F1; 60%; 75%; 85%;... you still reach your target 85% blind, but you only use 5 practices instead of 6. In this case you end up with a couple less %, but the trainer values practice cost over %, as long as it reaches your % goal.

-------------------------

In some cases, this trainer can also gain you a few additional %. For example, (18 intelligence, 0 rank) you specify that you want 87% blind, and you're also going to practice incinerate. Because of incinerate your total elements would be 7 earth, 7 fire, 7 spirit. (This is the same example as above, except we're targeting 87% blind instead of 85% blind)

Now if you practiced all your elements first then practiced blind, then you'd get:
- E7; F7; S7; 27%; 47%; 62%; 72%; 82%; 87%... you stop here because you've achieved your target of 87% blind. That's 6 practices consumed.

But if you practiced in this order instead:
- E6; F6; S7; 26%; 45%; E1; F1; 60%; 75%; 85%; 90%;... you get 90% blind instead of 87% as above, for the same amount of practices. So you net an additional 3% for no added practice cost.

Dovain

Post by Dovain » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:14 pm

I just wanted to say I found this weave prac trainer very helpful. I put in my original ideal targets which ended up being above where I thought I could reach, and then slowly cycled through dropping them down to the levels where I wanted them to be for minimums. It ended up saving me I think 3 pracs, and I got 2 or 3 weaves 1-5% higher than I had hoped by just playing with the numbers a bit.

Excellent work! I approve!

averi

Post by averi » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:34 pm

Thanks. Pushed out a pretty big update tonight. Greatly improved performance, should now be almost instantaneous.

Also improved and simplified UI, and made it possible to fiddle with values and see immediate feedback. UI should be mostly mobile friendly as well.

Also fixed a bug that was lurking and could throw off calculations in some cases.

Asandra

Post by Asandra » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:35 am

Is a bug somewhere, for my latest reprac it tried to practice locate life twice without having the requirements for it.
All in all it just ended up having 1 % lower locate life than calculated, so not horrible.

Can send you details if you want.

averi

Post by averi » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:03 pm

Yes, send me details please. I just tested it last night on a full practice reset, and all was good on in my case... But there are so many factors involved.

Let me know thanks.

EDIT: I think I see where this bug could occur, and I will apply a fix soon, should be relatively simple. But please do send me the details if you get a chance so I can verify your exact issue. Would love to know your prac % you entered for each weave, and your intelligence and rank if you can reproduce them. Thanks.