Crit kills

... tales of great battles, stealthy adversaries and improving your PK skills. Careful though, no whining!
Revescaal

Re: Crit kills

Post by Revescaal » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:59 pm

There's nothing high adrenaline about what Aloysius did in the fight. He's following a standard playbook for how to finish off absers: get in free melee rounds, avoid letting them finish bash timers, and build up their fleelag to get more melee rounds and perhaps roll a bash. Which is why the mistakes matter. I count 4 times when I walk his room as a crit/beat abser and get the first melee round when he's standing there unengaged. That just shouldn't happen. It's unlucky at best, sloppy at worst - especially with how much damage the razor was doing to my abs.

Anyone can time out roughly how long I was in each room by counting the pulses, since I'm entering commands pretty continuously throughout PK. You can estimate 3-4 commands per second. So, for instance, the time I spent at cul between arriving and Aloysius walking in is roughly what I remembered: 7-9s.

Or, you can look at HP regen. When the longer long starts, I'm chasing him with 44 hps. Then I find him 1n of neck, check my hps and see that it's ticced to 57, decide that's enough, and walk into him again. Then there's a HP tic to 70 as I'm chasing. I spend the most time alln of downer when I'm not sure if he's south of me and decide to hold a block for if he's still running. You can see me checking where to make sure he's still in zone, then deciding he's already south of me and moving on. I find him 2n ent and he follows the playbook of getting in a melee round and fleeing before I can finish a timer. There's a tic in there that takes me to 73 hps. I repeat by hitting him in the same room and he follows the playbook. When I typo and am clearly behind on a bash timer or melee, I flee to reset it. The whole thing happens over roughly a minute and a half and the vast majority of it is me walking into Aloysius rather than the other way around.

You can also use the commands to tell roughly how laggy I am. For instance, moving from shoulder to 1w shoulder you can see me stack commands for w, x, scan w, which are all input before I'm even walking in the room. In other words, part of why I'm not running mindlessly from one end of the zone to another to take a bunch of melee rounds before my link catches up that I'm in his room.

Aloysius is salty because he got outplayed and lost a great set to someone in ABS and a gsword. He's now trying to act like chasing isn't chasing, and that hitting with more HPs isn't hitting with more HPs, and that I should have had omniscient access to information like his specific HPs and where he was in the zone. Simultaneously, he's saying he's better because he's worse. He was relying on his better stats, better link, and higher Wil to win the fight. It didn't work. Weird stuff. Fun PKer, sore loser. And I resent that.

I hope this has been educational on how to read logs.

Zarth

Post by Zarth » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:46 pm

Only way that log could be better if a rogue stabbed him at the end.

aloysius

Post by aloysius » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:18 pm

I never said I was better than you. I simply said that I suicided to you at the trees and implied that this kill wasn't anything special because of that. And unless you think I'm lying, I'm not sure how you can question how I felt when I hit you at the trees. I felt really irritated with what I perceived to be very conservative play and decided "firetruck it i'm hitting him". Almost every other player on the mud with 10 hps and that set would have been top winding by the time you "chased" to 1s downer. And pretty much no other player would have hit you at 3 trees with 30 hps while you had 50+. That's all I meant about me being in suicidal mode.

You obviously are struggling to keep an accurate tab of what your opponent's rough hps are in a low vs. low fight. You also made a big blunder in spamming like crazy around neck instead of chasing to orch ent. Maybe try to learn from these mistakes instead of going full aggro on me haha. I wasn't saying you're bad, I was just saying I suicided to you and the kill wasn't all that special because of that. You're the one that posted the log here, I didn't post a log complaining about you.

Revescaal

Post by Revescaal » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:32 pm

Who said it's a special kill? In a close fight, I capitalized on an opportunity, outplayed you, and killed you. I was critical (40 hps when you died), so I posted it on the "Crit kills" thread, which is where this conversation is happening.

I'm trying to be nice here. I'm giving you comments on how you could have played it better and killed me. Conversely, you're giving me comments on how I could have killed myself on you. Chasing straight to orch ent is an awful idea. If you're standing and spamming, say, 1n of downer, then I'm eating 2-4 melee rounds there before my commands can catch up in order to bash or flee. Then, you can just flee again while I'm rolling. That's the playbook. Likewise, why would I want to fight there? Around orch ent is a terrible spot for me where you can easily flee around without having to worry about mobs or bash timers. You're not thinking about the actual dynamics of PK, or what I needed to do in order to have a shot at killing you, you're just feeling like you deserved a kill with a better set and are grumpy I didn't feed it to you.

Too much time around neck? Probably, but it's also a wash. It doesn't hurt me or help me in any real way. It's taking a guess about where you might walk, and I ended up being wrong so I moved on. It's comparable to chasing n from orch ent when a trolloc flees east - there's a good chance they walk straight back into you.

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:01 pm

The firetruck is going on? Why are you so defensive right now R-guy? That’s rhetorical by the way. I don’t really care. But I don’t understand what the big deal is. Relax you potato.

For the record he did suicide on you from what I can see. And he is better than you. I don’t see you “outplaying” him there anyway. But that doesn’t mean he didn’t make a mistake or that you were playing bad. Conservative for his and many folks tastes maybe. But Aloy is pretty famous for killing himself in amazing and wonderful ways.

I’ll argue with anyone, but this is weird.

aloysius

Post by aloysius » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:04 pm

Ok - as I said, this is kinda futile so let's just let it go. Have fun and see you out there!

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:29 pm

Think y'all are being a little harsh to Revescaal here. Aloy is a great and very fun pker, yes yes. Aloy was also frustrated with Revescaal sitting at mobs, that's fine. Sure, he could definitely have played more aggressively. But don't know why everyone is dunking on him like it's the end of the world. (Clearly we need some real drama around here because this isn't worth breaking out the popcorn.)

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:01 pm

Is there a way to tell if a Gaidin is bonded? I would have assumed that he is and has increased regen, it is very hard to keep track of warder hps, especially if you have never played one...same for tinfuls/night on fade...just variables that are hard to keep track of...

Revescaal

Post by Revescaal » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:47 pm

Fermin wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:01 pm
Is there a way to tell if a Gaidin is bonded? I would have assumed that he is and has increased regen, it is very hard to keep track of warder hps, especially if you have never played one...same for tinfuls/night on fade...just variables that are hard to keep track of...
If you whois them, you can tell through clan tag. If it's x is a Gaidin Warder (Warder Gaidin?), they're bonded. If it's just Gaidin, not bonded.

That's enough from me!

isabel

Post by isabel » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:36 pm

Just to clarify - no shade on Revesacal or saying anything negative about him or his play.

I think we're just having a milk and cookies conversation about a topic we Iike!

Overall i think that the good players have a v fine tuned sense of how many hps rhe opponent has. Like if you look at weir pk logs teres a v good sense of that. Lykan also. In these close fights it's critical to know that.

If one player doesn't know that then it's going to be frustrating and lopsided because then th e other person has to leave or take disproportionate risks.

Continued play relies on people being on the same page about the risk level for each person.