Ouch! That really did HURT!

... tales of great battles, stealthy adversaries and improving your PK skills. Careful though, no whining!
Santino

Re: Ouch! That really did HURT!

Post by Santino » Sat May 07, 2016 5:32 am

I agree that eq and scalp returns are not mandatory. However I also believe dropping players scalps is good sportsmanship, and have always hidden them when I was on the receiving end. Still its up to the player. Always has been, and I'm ok with that. I don't believe Leiloni should be upset.

Side note, just because I feel I have to address it. The average Winged Guard, Kyr, takes/took around five to seven rl years to master their character. Myself included. Even with heavy crossrace pk. This includes Emdawe and Traven, who pked almost exclusively crossrace. The average Defender took a bit longer than that. Despite the fact that they had "war" on two fronts when you bring Illian into the equation. And this was for the most part at our playerbase peak. So half a real life decades worth of work, and being on that character nearly every day sometimes exclusively, even with eq returns periodically, in a game, was the average time to master. Doesn't sound like the way we in the south -sometimes- do things is very detrimental to me..

It took Joreer nearly 10 rl years to master his character? And he was one of the last to do so who same sided more prominently than crossrace in years.

Just about anyone who pks crossrace every day, even now, could master their characters in 3 to 6 months rl time. Even if they play a few hours a day. 10 qp a day for 100 days (roughly 3 and a half months) is 1000 qp. Nearly brand new players can average two heads a day. And that's with no eq/scalp returns, and not counting clan/gambler/jcask quests. And so we're clear, mud people who may feel the need to chime in, notice I said 3 to 6 months, I'm well aware that we don't all play every day. Just saying.

While I've always respected you, Kyr, your opinions as you know mean very little to me. As mine do you. But, in the future, I'd appreciate it if you didn't demean how we do things. Intentionally or unintentionally. We play as we do to promote a fun game environment for all who play with us, and to assist newbies in learning the game and keeping at it. I've even returned kits to you across your various alts over the years, as you have me, and I certainly didn't see you complaining then. And I -know- I really appreciated it.

The game is about give and take folks. Kyr's right. And I've said it before. We have a huge entitlement issue. I personally believe that a lot of how we do things now and the problems we have now, stemmed from the past "cool" players, who felt like they could do whatever they wanted when they wanted. We instinctively mimic those we respect and maybe even idolize. Eventually all things change and some things become the norm.

Also, again so we're clear, I truly don't care what any of you think about this. I'm tired of seeing pointless, carelessly nonfactual, toxic comments being thrown around on the game and these forums. Just my two cents since my clan was brought up

dung happens. Get over it. Play the game and have fun.

Leiloni

Post by Leiloni » Sat May 07, 2016 8:44 am

Still not seeing where I said there mandatory or talked about eq returns. I personally return scalps as much as possible. Eq returns I don't really believe in. I will still do it often though. Mainly if it's a friend or some good pk/stuff I don't need. Also not sure what seanchan has to do with anything at all. Seems it's just smarter to go in and turn in if you need qps instead of staying low/outnumbered. If I was smart enough to start doing that least I wouldn't die as much I guess lol.

pial

Post by pial » Sat May 07, 2016 1:49 pm

I think an important thing that should be noted from Santino's post is the point he brings up about the game being give and take. In the past on this game there were always those who would take more from pk than give in terms of creating pk that has the potential for both parties to have fun or get enjoyment from the pk. When we had a player base much higher than we do now this was an annoying thing to deal with but it didn't matter as much due to the fact that there were so many other people on and other pk could be had.

Right now with the player base so low the more anti-social type pkers have a larger affect on the game than they did in the past (and the ratios of anti-social pkers to fun pkers might be at one of the worst points it's ever been right now). If people are going into each pk session with the mindset of winning at all costs and aren't particularly mindful of the experience of the participators on the other side, I don't see how that is doing the game at this point any good. I don't much expect the more passive people among us who are more concerned with not dying than creating pk where which side has the advantage is up in the air to change how they approach the game in their pk, but I think there's an easy thing even those type of players can do to at least promote some type of willingness to engage the more selfish among us in pk and that would be the returning of gear. While people whining when their gear/scalps aren't returned is annoying, I don't see the point of not returning gear when one doesn't have any need of it.

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat May 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Gear is in unlimited supply. Death is painless. EMBRACE IT WITH ME MY BROTHERS.

Paj

Post by Paj » Sat May 07, 2016 4:01 pm

Funny that, I'm scrounging for stuff these days. Don't find the time to smob. Damn those win-at-all-costs people driving the fun out of the rest of us. Hell most of them are masters already. And rig I want my jcuffs back, died to you several times with several sets and every time I see to your death you're wearing crap. Damn you too.

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Sat May 07, 2016 4:23 pm

demanding eq and scalp returns is stupid. The game has always been about pk and if you lose in pk, you lose everything you had. The other side might be leaving things, but that is up to the other side. That is not a right for the losing side to demand.

I get so many demands directed at me for leaving eq and heads.. it has never been this bad since i started playing in 2001. On the other hand, re-eq and getting qps has never been so easy as well... so it baffles me a bit, this attitude.

In fact, the mud is as friendly and safe as it never was: the port changes made sleepstabbers and porting channies obsolete. Fades are nerved once they get noquit as well. Who has seen a same side killer lately? Same side killing MC? Fades fading around groups to kill smobgroups? Any of the threats that lurked in the shadows when I started playing in the early 2000s???

Really.. Paj you come across as really a jaded and a jerk lately. You used to be better than that..

Pial not much better. Some of the others complaining on multiple threads as well.

I think if you want to answer the question to what "Lightside needs" (or rather fill in "mud" where it reads Lightside): it is people to stop complaining and whining and instead start contibuting in a positive manner both on boards and in game.

Basta.

Paj

Post by Paj » Sat May 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Speak of the devil.

Thanks.

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat May 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Those multiple jcuffs you donated to me have been looted from my corpse multiple times. Speak with the humans!

Leiloni

Post by Leiloni » Sat May 07, 2016 6:21 pm

The comment about eq and scalps being easier to get now is possibly...nah definitely one of the dumbest things I've heard in awhile. PK has been pretty atrocious for the most part. It's generally 1 or 2 ls vs 3-5+ ds, which generally includes a fade or a couple masters. There's hardly anyone on the whole mud, With very little to no one on to come help. It's just hard even finding pk mostly. Gear is abundant? News to me, I actually have had to use storage for the first time in I can't even remember how long. I generally have to kill myself to get a slight chance at outnumbered kill. Maybe this is just my experiences throughout alts and the times I log on. I die pretty constantly just trying to get and keep pk. Which is majority of the time me having to get crit and them not so much. I'm completely ok with dying, no sweat off my back. It's when you die after an hour plus of pking outnumbered and keeping pk going. Only to have your multiple scalps you hard earned not dropped. Just doesn't really make you want to play very much. This isn't me whining, just debating the comment. I'm sure someone will have a opinion about that though to lol.

Maybe if your a super star like some of the people that have commented. (Those being the usal top tav/reaver alt players etc) It's super easy to take anything you want when your the dude. You were already better then everyone before there not being anyone around lol. Now that there's like 5-10 people on ls yeah it's cake walk for you guys I'm sure. I guess like I stated before everyone has there different view points and opinions.

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Sat May 07, 2016 6:28 pm

on the one hand you complain about not being able to get scalps

on the other hand you complain that when you die, you loose your multiple scalps you earned...

Contradiction much?

Als if you bothered to actually read my comments, you would have noted that I mentioned getting eq and qps was never easier. Thats different from getting scalps alone. There are so many qps to be had other then through pk nowadays, its not even funny.

And no, you are not going to convince me that eq is rare nowadays. If eq is rare to you, you are to blame, if you have the same feeling of entitlement you display about your "earned scalps" in regards to eq.. perhaps that explains.

I only see negativity here. I been here for 15 years now, and I dont think I ever saw so many complaining going on in those 15 years as lately. Most of it looks like spoiled brats complaining to me, to be brutally honest.